Flue pipe temperature

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I recently got an infra red thermometer (for another reason) and have been using it to check the temperature of the flue pipe on my stove. I did some research and read that the optimum temperature of the pipe should be up from 105 degrees to for fuel efficiency, etc. My pipe is only showing 50 degrees most of the time or 80-100 when the fire is first lit. 

The stove itself is keeping us warm on board so I have no complaints there. It will go all night and I don't think we are burning excessive amounts of fuel (20kg bag of Excel has lasted up to 3.5/4 days). I cleaned the pipe again last week (after doing it in October) just in case that was causing any impact. It made no difference. 

I am hoping that the pipe is insulated and thats why the outside temperature is low and that I am worrying about nothing. I really just wanted to get some thoughts from people with a little more stove experience than me! 

Thanks all in advance.

I recently got a flue thermometer too. The instructions indicated the flue should be between 100 and 300 degrees c for "best burn". I ,like you was only achieving 100 degrees c when first lit, and less afterwards. Having lived aboard for the last 19 years,and managed to keep warm, I binned the thermometer and carried on as normal.

I decided Best burn twas that which keeps us warm.

ETA.We have a non insulated flue pipe.

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

What is the temp of the stove on normal, if a big difference to flue then probably insulated, the diameter should give some indication.   

At the moment the stove top is about 75 and the flue 45. Inside its well over 300 degrees. This the diameter is about 6-8 inches (guessing with hand measures until I find a tape measure!).

Thanks for the replies everyone.. They've been helpful for putting my mind at rest. I think this is a case of if it ain't broke then don't fix it - and I should find something else to obsess about!!

2 minutes ago, Anna_Licorice said:

At the moment the stove top is about 75 and the flue 45. Inside its well over 300 degrees. This the diameter is about 6-8 inches (guessing with hand measures until I find a tape measure!).

Thanks for the replies everyone.. They've been helpful for putting my mind at rest. I think this is a case of if it ain't broke then don't fix it - and I should find something else to obsess about!!

Get yerself an eco fan. Great for indicating when the stove top is hot.Useless for everything else!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Anna_Licorice said:

Sensible woman. Buy three different battery monitors, mount them in the bedroom where you can see them in the middle of the night and never run out of stuff to worry about. :giggles:

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

If my flue is quite hot to touch very lightly with a bare dry hand half way up its length, I know the stove is burning at the right level to keep all my 60ft at the level of warmth I like. Degrees? I know not.

That's about where our flue is up to. We got an infrequent red thermometer (auto spell must know better).. and that says 70 C which is about the right temp for just being able to touch it. Ours only gets to 100C when we push it.

19 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Get yerself an eco fan. Great for indicating when the stove top is hot.Useless for everything else!

Our eco fan is useless for indicating when the stove top is hot. It always goes round too fast. Our stove top varies betteween 120 and 220C...i get bored easily and my infrequent red thermometer is a great toy.....you can measure how hot your coffe cup is so you don't burn your tongue. The duck gets mad as I am always shining the thing at him to see if he is alive. It's the best toy on the boat at the moment, the infrequent red thermometer thingy, not the duck!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Our eco fan is useless for indicating when the stove top is hot. It always goes round too fast. Our stove top varies betteween 120 and 220C...i get bored easily and my infrequent red thermometer is a great toy.....you can measure how hot your coffe cup is so you don't burn your tongue. The duck gets mad as I am always shining the thing at him to see if he is alive. It's the best toy on the boat at the moment, the infrequent red thermometer thingy, not the duck!

I'm not getting one,  or a duck. I have already been conned into buying an ecofan from your ecofan thread. Maybe you need to start an infrequent red thermometer thread. :)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I'm not getting one,  or a duck. I have already been conned into buying an ecofan from your ecofan thread. Maybe you need to start an infrequent red thermometer thread. :)

It really is fun. You shine it at the duck and you get a red spot on his forehead. You should see him run for cover! You can sit in your recliner (well you could if you had one....but we haven't...they are on order...) and measure the temperature of everything in the cabin. Great for telling if the hot cross buns are done. I do get bored in the winter. Maybe Kinver canopies will start selling them?

edit. If I get time later I will start a thread on them.

Edited by Dr Bob

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It really is fun. You shine it at the duck and you get a red spot on his forehead. You should see him run for cover! You can sit in your recliner (well you could if you had one....but we haven't...they are on order...) and measure the temperature of everything in the cabin. Great for telling if the hot cross buns are done. I do get bored in the winter. Maybe Kinver canopies will start selling them?

Have you tried measuring the temperature of the sun with it? 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Anna_Licorice said:

I recently got an infra red thermometer (for another reason) and have been using it to check the temperature of the flue pipe on my stove.

I wouldn't worry about the flue but the infra red thermometer is great for making sure that you're not dangerously overheating any surrounding objects/materials. I bought one when I fitted my stove, for this purpose.

12 hours ago, rupertbear said:

I wouldn't worry about the flue but the infra red thermometer is great for making sure that you're not dangerously overheating any surrounding objects/materials. I bought one when I fitted my stove, for this purpose.

I am not sure I would rely on this! When you're sitting in your chair, the bit of wood in the panel behind the stove and flue pipe is hidden by the flue itself, so the infernal red thermometer can't see it, so you can't measure it..... but with experience you can guess the wood temp from the flue pipe temperature.

12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Have you tried measuring the temperature of the sun with it? 

I have been trying all day to do this but this evening realized that my IR ( there that foiled the speed checker) thermometer only measures up to 350 deg C. I think the sun maybe a bit hotter than that so I will give up.

On 21/02/2018 at 12:39, Anna_Licorice said:

I have a different Eco fan, mine actually works

Phil 

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

If you buy an infrequent red thermomoter, then this should encourage your fan to go round faster. You could then join the club rather than borrowing it.

It goes round well enough, just doesn't do anything perceptible except collect dust.