Hillmorton to Clifton stretch ruined.

matty40s

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, dogless said:

Not a complaint, but the old Amington golf course site is being developed with over 1000 houses and other infrastructure. 

Another stretch where we'll be winding through housing estates from Polesworth to Fazeley.

Rog

There are no canalside homes being built in Amington though. The detailed plan i have seen shows a sizeable amount of woodland between houses and canal

Edited by kawaton

4 hours ago, canalboat said:

They were asked to help provide and boaters station with all the required facilities in one place just below Hillmorton Locks and to help with the restoration of the Basin there but once all the planning approvals were confirmed, all offers they made magically evaporated.  It will doubtless be a very busy road.

This is pretty much standard practice for housing developments. One being developed on the outskirts of Cheltenham basically got approval because they promised to deliver a new link road through the estate to remove a really nasty double mini-roundabout.   The plans still show this, the planners and developers  still crow about it being there.... but its now a Bus only route with ANPR cameras on it.

Why the councils etc never take the planners/developers to court for failing to deliver what they promised I do not know... I imagine brown envelopes of cash (or their digital equivalent) feature highly.

6 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

The reason is dirft the reason for dirft is internet shopping the reason for internet shopping is instant gratification  the reason for instant gratification is because people crave hits of pleasure.... if they had just gone and enjoyed what they had nice country and a view we might not be in a mess

You obviously never buy stuff on the internet then! :giggles:

Unless by 'instant gratification' you mean gratification a day or two after you click the "buy" button.

For truly instant gratification, still nothing beats a bricks and mortar shop.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really, there is no need for you to wash your mouth out. There is no shame in reading a left wing newspaper and quoting it. Just quaintly misguided about how the world works.  

Good Heavens, you don't really think I read it? I simply found the article on the internet.

(But you probably suspected that).

On 21/02/2018 at 10:01, matty40s said:

I knew the old radio station site was being developed and knew the Bridge 66 stretch (Clifton) was subject to a stoppage next month, but until I found this I didn't realise just how intrusive this whole Houlton development was to the canal.

pdf of planning for new link road.

So sad to see this. Another part of my personal history being redeveloped. 

I often visited Rugby Radio Station when I worked for BT.  The rot set in around 1990, when the sites owner, the MoD, rejected my plans to upgrade their 70 year old HV system and chose a private company to run the radio station, who were happy to continue maintaining the old HV system.

The order to sink the Belgrano was transmitted from Rugby. I wonder how we communicate with our submarines now? 

Edited by cuthound
Duplicate post

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

My late father-in-law, a professional electrician, used to insist that the cluster of masts was correctly called the "Rugby Repeater". Was he correct?

Not according to Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Radio_Station

A repeater station is there to boost a signal which has already transmitted, and certainly when I was responsible for the design of the power system there, it only transmitted. The many masts formed larger low frequency aerials, used to transmit radio signals over very long distances.

A history of the site can be found here.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/r/rugby_radio/indexr67.shtml

Edited by cuthound

Many years ago a mate was passenger in his dad’s car when he saw all the masts at Rugby. 

“What are all those, dad?”

”Oh, they’re the transmitters for all the television programmes.”

”So what are the little masts for?”

Short pause... “They’re for children’s television, son.”

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Many years ago a mate was passenger in his dad’s car when he saw all the masts at Rugby. 

“What are all those, dad?”

”Oh, they’re the transmitters for all the television programmes.”

”So what are the little masts for?”

Short pause... “They’re for children’s television, son.”

Brilliant!

Edited by Athy