Hillmorton to Clifton stretch ruined.

matty40s

Featured Posts

It is a massive development, and it going to change the canal there significantly. 

Until I saw the start of the ground works where the new bridge is going in Oct I had not realised that there was to be a new bridge.  The stoppage to build the bridge parapets should have started on 5th Feb and goes on util 16th March.  I almost got caught out by that as I was planning to go that way at the beginning of March.

The problem with this work is that it is an external project with external contractors and may extend without notice. 

I'm not sure that you will be moving anywhere at the beginning of March anyway John, unless MrSmelly gets his eco fans melting the ice

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The problem with this work is that it is an external project with external contractors and may extend without notice. 

I'm not sure that you will be moving anywhere at the beginning of March anyway John, unless MrSmelly gets his eco fans melting the ice

No quite, so all fortuitous my plans have changed really.  I hope it does not run into April though, that is the bridge stoppage, but the weather as well would be nice.

I seem to recall that when this development was announced, it came up as a topic on here and those who thought it was bad for the canal were shouted down by those who thought it was a good thing.  This new road will take away the farmland views that boaters have enjoyed, for many miles.  Yes we apparently need housing, although not many young couples will be able to afford what they are building, but Urban and Civic the developers have done nothing for the canal as a compensation.  They were asked to help provide and boaters station with all the required facilities in one place just below Hillmorton Locks and to help with the restoration of the Basin there but once all the planning approvals were confirmed, all offers they made magically evaporated.  It will doubtless be a very busy road.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Totally agree. Its not as though the country actually needs even more houses built, is it?

Quite agree. They have been going up like mushrooms around here in the last year, and as far as I can see many of them remain unsold. So why keep building more?

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Quite agree. They have been going up like mushrooms around here in the last year, and as far as I can see many of them remain unsold. So why keep building more?

Quite. The "housing shortage" is obviously a myth. One only needs to look on rightmove.co.uk to see tens of thousands of houses for sale. Anyone needing a house can just buy one from there.

Like you, I really don't see the problem.

:ninja:

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite. The "housing shortage" is obviously a myth. One only needs to look on rightmove.co.uk to see tens of thousands of houses for sale. Anyone needing a house can just buy one from there.

Like you, I really don't see the problem.

:ninja:

I think the shortage is in affordable housing. There are plenty of houses for sale but too few people can afford to buy them.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I think the shortage is in affordable housing. There are plenty of houses for sale but too few people can afford to buy them.

Precisely - so why keep building them and despoiling the countryside?

Actually, when I think back to the canals as I first knew them (And the towns, villages and roads and the rest) its really sad what we have lost and spoiled. Haven't got the faintest idea what can be done but clonetowns and housing developments are pretty awful. I am lucky though, I have a house (And a boat) and more children than strictly necessary and rely on economic growth to pay my enormous pension so that must make me part of the problem. Pass the gin.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Totally agree. Its not as though the country actually needs even more houses built, is it?

Of course we don't need houses, we can all live on boats in London which is as we know a much cheaper option!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Precisely - so why keep building them and despoiling the countryside?

Because by increasing the supply of housing overall, you bring supply closer to demand, thereby bringing downward pressure to bear on prices. 

But you knew that really didn’t you?

(Or at least reduce the upward pressure as demand spirals up!)

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because by increasing the supply of housing overall, you bring supply closer to demand, thereby bringing downward pressure to bear on prices. 

But you knew that really didn’t you?

(Or at least reduce the upward pressure as demand spirals up!)

It's a valid point of view, though not one to which I necessarily subscribe.

Is demand spiralling up?

In my view what builders should be building is more council houses. I believe there's a shortfall in that sector.

10 minutes ago, NickF said:

Of course we don't need houses, we can all live on boats in London which is as we know a much cheaper option!

Once global warming has raised the level of the Thames and the Barrier fails through lack of maintenance (outsourced to a PFI company) then large parts of central London will be freed up as open water marinas to accommodate all of those people who believe what they read in media.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is demand spiralling up?

Well the population is increasing, as is wealth and the ability to buy more accommodation than you ‘need’, so yes I’d say demand is spiralling up. 

And from the opposite end of the equation the way prices are continuously rising is proof of rising demand. QED. 

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

In my view what builders should be building is more council houses. I believe there's a shortfall in that sector.

Ah yes, that old chestnut. Build enough subsidised housing and demand for subsidised housing will eventually be fully satisfied. 

Of course it will. Pull the other one!! 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well the population is increasing, as is wealth and the ability to buy more accommodation than you ‘need’, so yes I’d say demand is spiralling up. 

And from the opposite end of the equation the way prices are continuously rising is proof of rising demand. QED. 

"House price growth set to judder to a halt in 2018" - recent newspaper report.

O.K. so it's from The Grauniad, but nevertheless it may be true. So, no QED for you, lad!

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

"House price growth set to judder to a halt in 2018" - recent newspaper report.

O.K. so it's from The Grauniad, but nevertheless it may be true. So, no QED for you, lad!

Look at the real life data, not your lefty imaginary grauniad wishful thinking!

There has never been a time in the whole of history when housing was more expensive than now. 

And you say demand is falling. Lol!

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Look at the real life data, not your lefty imaginary grauniad wishful thinking!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! File under "mouth, washing out thereof with soap and water"!

37 minutes ago, Athy said:

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! File under "mouth, washing out thereof with soap and water"!

Really, there is no need for you to wash your mouth out. There is no shame in reading a left wing newspaper and quoting it. Just quaintly misguided about how the world works.