Maplin to the wall, this can't happen

Fender151

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Tat for unnamed-but-soon-to-be-chavs then :D

What you can do in Curry’s though is to view an item, walk outside and go online to find the best price, then go back into the store, show them your phone and ask if they’ll price match. I’ve done that at Halfords too. 

Very true, but recently I have bought a few things from Currys, they have been substantially cheaper than the likes of Amazon.  If they can keep their process competitive then they should do well, having the advantage of the stores and the ability to click and collect and get you stuff in 10 mins.  They also do good free delivery which whilst not being guaranteed I thibnk seems to come the next day.

23 minutes ago, MHS said:

Careful, you could be punished for the new crime of Chav-ism. It is presumably a form of racism. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-43227761

"The club, which has yet to comment, has asked for discrimination training for all members, plus extra training for social secretaries."

You couldn't make it up ..

I take it Vicars and Tarts parties are right out?

• Haha 1

Bottom line with all these high street shops that are going to the wall is that they all sell junk made in China and you can buy all that Chineses junk on Ebay or Amazon without going out in the snow and a lot cheaper including the postage. I really cannot see why the "money men" that all these places employ cannot see that. 

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

:clapping:

Would I then require more discrimination training?

What is so daft about the Leeds Un story, is there is no mention of the social mix of the girls. They are likely to be from a wide spectrum of society. 

Passed this on to our 22 & 24 year old daughters. Hannah who went to Plymouth uni said they had annual Netball club Chav nights. No issues. 

I didn’t go to uni, but thought they were previously places that allowed free thinking & speech. How else will science and society develop?

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...

Just waking up this thread again to say I have discovered a nice on-line retailer selling all that useful electronics stuff that Maplins used to before they turned into the toy shop for chavs and promptly went bust.

Might be better not to click this link in case like me, you simply can't stop seeing stuff you want to buy once you start browsing. Like the electronically temperature-controlled soldering iron for £46. Fuses, cables, resistors, capacitors, switches etc. Not marine oriented and stock range not especially wide, but a very user-friendly interface and paying by PayPal quick and easy. I think they will get very big, very quickly. Another Screwfix in the making.

https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/

Now someone will be along to tell me they've been trading 20 years, no doubt!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Like the electronically temperature-controlled soldering iron for £46.

Lidl were/are doing one and I’m sure it costs less than that. I’ve slready got one so didn’t pay too much attention. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Lidl were/are doing one and I’m sure it costs less than that. I’ve slready got one so didn’t pay too much attention. 

I will probably have one too soon, without the embarrassment and stress of having to go into a branch of Lidl and rummage about looking for it!

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I will probably have one too soon, without the embarrassment and stress of having to go into a branch of Lidl and rummage about looking for it!

You need an emergency wear kit with you. Consists of a large wide brimmed hat and dark sunglasses and jacket with a hoodie. Handy for use if you ever need to go to Asda, Lidle, Aldi or Wetherspoons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

You need an emergency wear kit with you. Consists of a large wide brimmed hat and dark sunglasses and jacket with a hoodie. Handy for use if you ever need to go to Asda, Lidle, Aldi or Wetherspoons.

I wear that so nobody can tell I am a boater.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just waking up this thread again to say I have discovered a nice on-line retailer selling all that useful electronics stuff that Maplins used to before they turned into the toy shop for chavs and promptly went bust.

Might be better not to click this link in case like me, you simply can't stop seeing stuff you want to buy once you start browsing. Like the electronically temperature-controlled soldering iron for £46. Fuses, cables, resistors, capacitors, switches etc. Not marine oriented and stock range not especially wide, but a very user-friendly interface and paying by PayPal quick and easy. I think they will get very big, very quickly. Another Screwfix in the making.

https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/

Now someone will be along to tell me they've been trading 20 years, no doubt!

Thankyou for the link, I'm actually just in the process of re-wiring & Paypal means I can hide the cost from my wife ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

If it's anything like the one I bought from Aldi last year, the bits are not plated and dissolve in very short order.

MP.