Cheshire Ring - Which way?

RobTrehy

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster on these forums!

Our large family of 10 seem to be taking a narrowboat holiday each year. (Youngest is early 20's)

We've completed Bunbury to Llangollen and back past Bunbury up to Chester and back to Bunbury again in 2016. Completed the Warwickshire ring in 2017 (Up the Hatton flight in about 2.5hrs).

This year, we're booked with Black Prince at their Peak District base with the intentions of completing the Cheshire ring. 

Black Prince's Peak District base isn't on the ring, we have to clear the Harecastle tunnel first, but after that, what way around the ring would you suggest?

(https://www.black-prince.com/peak-district-base-cheshire-ring-stoke-manchester-canal-boat-holiday/)

As said, we're a large crew, all fairly experienced. We have our own (extra) Windlasses too, so can send crew on ahead on lock flights (assuming they are not in use of course), so locks don't take us long!

We're due to be setting out in the middle of May, not a school half-term week, so not sure if that would affect traffic at all? We tend to cruise for about 10hrs a day.

Any other things to watch out for/be aware of?

Thanks

Rob :)

Edited by RobTrehy

1 hour ago, RobTrehy said:

Black Prince's Peak District base isn't on the ring, we have to clear the Harecastle tunnel first, but after that, what way around the ring would you suggest?

(https://www.black-prince.com/peak-district-base-cheshire-ring-stoke-manchester-canal-boat-holiday/)

Peak District?? It's bloomin Stoke-on-Trent!

Not a bad place to start a trip though.

I've been round both ways and it's great either way. I'd probably opt for anti-clockwise then you'd be descending into Manchester through the Marple, Ashton and Rochdale flights. With your crew you could possibly fit in a trip up the Upper Peak Forest as well.

If you can't get through Harecastle on your first day the best place to spend the night is Westport Lake. The mooring are good and you can move up to the tunnel first thing in the morning. If you have an interest in buildings its worth walking up the hill to Tunstall town centre - there are some real gems there - the town hall and adjacent banks are really good.

The  other comment is when going up hill from Middlewich be careful to get the boat settled in the lock before fully opening the paddles - they can be very fierce!!

19 hours ago, rgreg said:

I've been round both ways and it's great either way. I'd probably opt for anti-clockwise then you'd be descending into Manchester through the Marple, Ashton and Rochdale flights. With your crew you could possibly fit in a trip up the Upper Peak Forest as well.

I definitely recommend trying to make time to deviate from Marple to take in the short 6 mile Upper Peak Forest Canal, the scenery is stunning and with no locks and just a couple of swing bridges it will only be a couple of hours each way. And going right into Bugsworth Basin to wind is well worth it as it's fascinating. Perhaps overnight there if you can and there is an excellent pub there too.

I wouldn't bother with Whaley Bridge as if you haven't the time to get off and explore, there isn't a lot there really and it can be difficult to wind.

We went clockwise from middlewich, not sure why bit I decided for a reason. I think maybe it was the easy run to start with. And the second part we could stop wherever and make up or lose time which you can' in the Manchester bit.

I second bugsworth. Staying the night. We stopped before the aquaduct the night before and enjoyed a lovely view across the fields. We took two relaxing weeks having a day off in Manchester and also visiting all the NT and English heratige properties around the ring  

The Manchester transport museum is a must see, right next to the canal too.

We went Easter last reay and hardly saw any other moving boats.

Edited by thebfg

The Rochdale 9 going up can be interesting in a full length boat as they don't all have ground paddles so yes I agree anti clockwise .... with a crew like that you will fly along so may even have time for a day on the River Weaver on the way back, certainly worth the detour. I have done Cheshire ring and a day on the Weaver from Alvechurch boats near Anderton .... but then I just love the boating and am very happy with 10 hour days.

Another detour I have done is to take a few hours out to look at The Barton Swing Aqueduct which is a pretty spectacular structure and not far off your route and there is a winding hole a short way after the aqueduct.

If you have a big crew I would make sure you take a few spare "handcuff" keys as near Manchester a spare windlass is not much use if you can't unlock the paddle!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112801868228?chn=ps&adgroupid=58814348784&rlsatarget=pla-411722221590&abcId=1133916&adtype=pla&merchantid=7409964&poi=&googleloc=9045101&device=c&campaignid=1057745162&crdt=0

Whichever way you go I hope you have a great trip!

Yes anticlockwise makes most sense. Yet last time we did it clockwise and I'm trying to remember what the reason was:rolleyes:.

One benefit was chatting to neighbours in castlefields basin the night before doing the Rochdale 9 which meant we found a boat to share them with. 

But I'd go anticlockwise as others said and overnight at Dukinfield junction before doing the Ashton early morning. Telford basin (Or the towpath adjacent) is a nice stop if you don't fancy going right to Castlefields in a day. Have a good trip :)

On 22 February 2018 at 16:12, bill brown said:

I'm also planning to complete the Cheshire Ring sometime this year. Question is travelling from Burscough should I buy a 7 day licence for the Bridgewater?

I can't think why you would want to do that unless you want to spend an extended period on the bridge water. We normally overnight one night on bridge water after leaving parbold, although we don't return within two weeks, I can't see a reason to buy one.

32 minutes ago, Timx said:

I can't think why you would want to do that unless you want to spend an extended period on the bridge water. We normally overnight one night on bridge water after leaving parbold, although we don't return within two weeks, I can't see a reason to buy one.

I thought you needed one if returning on the Bridgewater within 28 days but have just looked at their site and I can no longer find any mention of it.

Edited by bill brown

9 minutes ago, bill brown said:

This is the agreement I've previously seen http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/news/crtrecipricolagreement perhaps it was reviewed and is no longer in force?

Yes, this was my understanding of the new arrangement but, as you say, there is no mention of the 28 day return rule on their website. As you're unlikely to be on the Bridgewater for more than 7 consecutive days when doing the Cheshire Ring I wouldn't be concerned unless anyone raised it with you.

21 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I think you'll find the water goes downwards regardless of your direction of travel.

True, but if you're going up, there's one lockfull per lock which goes downhill past you. Going down, the same lockfull can see you through the whole flight.

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, there is one lockful for the whole flight. Think about it.

Yes you are correct. However, when going uphill you are taking the lockfull of water out of the pound you are just about to traverse. When going downhill you add the lockfull of water into the pound you are about to traverse. It can make all the difference.

Marple flight is not due to open untill 4th May. There's major lock rebuilding going on so there is potential for delays to reopening.

Edited by Alway Swilby

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, there is one lockful for the whole flight. Think about it.

Usage is one lockfull; agreed (discounting water running over weirs, etc. ) However, each time you go through a lock, you take water from in front of you, and leave it behind you. You are using a different lockfull on each lock. Going downhill, a lockfull  of water travels down with you. When pounds are low, going up makes them lower, going down makes them higher.