Cheshire Ring - Which way?

RobTrehy

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are hoping to do the ring in early May from Stone. Done a bit of digging around on this forum and the "net" and the Rochdale 9 locks seem to get a mixed press. In particular, what are folks thoughts re a lady of riper years being able to operate them single-handed ? Also, some of the stories out there regarding unsavoury characters are a bit off-putting. 

And, would clockwise or anti-clockwise make handling them easier ? 

Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Alan B said:

My wife and I................................

.single-handed ? .......................

If you're both doing it, she wouldn't be single handed unless you didn't do anything to help. She could drive while you did the gates; or both of you could get off the boat and do something useful.

15 hours ago, Alan B said:

My wife and I are hoping to do the ring in early May from Stone. Done a bit of digging around on this forum and the "net" and the Rochdale 9 locks seem to get a mixed press. In particular, what are folks thoughts re a lady of riper years being able to operate them single-handed ? Also, some of the stories out there regarding unsavoury characters are a bit off-putting. 

And, would clockwise or anti-clockwise make handling them easier ? 

Thanks. 

The gates on the Rochdale 9 can be quite heavy, particularly if there's a lot of water coming down, so you may find that your wife needs a bit of extra muscle on some. Generally I would say that you may find the anti-clockwise direction slightly easier so you're descending into Manchester. Also, keep an eye on the current stoppage at Marple for further over-run, presently scheduled to re-open on 4th May.

Don't worry about the odd "unsavoury character" that you may meet, they are harmless. Ignore stories advising to go down the Ashton and Rochdale flights at 5am to "avoid the bandits" because they don't exist. Enjoy the Cheshire Ring.

Thanks for replies people. The reason she may well be doing the locks "single handed" is because I've recently had a knee replacement and will still have to be wary of too much strain on it.

49 minutes ago, Alan B said:

Thanks for replies people. The reason she may well be doing the locks "single handed" is because I've recently had a knee replacement and will still have to be wary of too much strain on it.

Depending on what day you are coming up/down the Ashton/Rochdale the Local Pensioners Lock Wheeling Team may be available to speed you on your way. 100's of years of experience of these canals and a few knee operations/problems  between them. Reward  is usually a cup of tea at half time.

Bill

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, billh said:

Depending on what day you are coming up/down the Ashton/Rochdale the Local Pensioners Lock Wheeling Team may be available to speed you on your way. 100's of years of experience of these canals and a few knee operations/problems  between them. Reward  is usually a cup of tea at half time.

Bill

I absolutely support this. The volunteers are brilliant and I genuinely don't think we would have managed without ours.

Having done it once, I would be happy on my own now but the first time unfamiliarity would have beaten us.

For example the second lock down a) had unusual bottom gate gear (you wind the gates open with your windlass) b. is in pitch dark under a building c) was difficult to empty due to inadequate by-washes (you doubt that the gates will ever open) and e) had two lost individuals sleeping on the off side, they were a danger to themselves and others due to the dark and their inebriation (both could hardly stand).  All of this at once is quite disorientating if you are not expecting it (and I will wager that no one doing the '9' for the first time will be expecting their colourful reality). So it's good to have the reassurance of an experienced volunteer.

You just phone to arrange things. I don't have the number - it's on the boat - but I'm sure someone on here will let you know.

1 hour ago, Alan B said:

Thanks again folks.

The 'phone number would be really useful if anyone has it available.

Alan

OK, I've found it.

I phoned a lady called Mez Hellard, on 0161 220 2960 and she contacted a volunteer who got back to me to sort out the details. 

This was about a year ago so I can't help further if the number has changed but probably others on here can.

For a cup of tea or a can of beer, those worrying individuals will usually be willing to help you. They are not all bad, some just prefer to live there.

We have done it a few times, never had a problem. Biggest problem is getting the end gates unlocked at a reasonable early time, the staff have been known to be very late arriving.

The last time we had to threaten to cut the chains after waiting an hour past the arranged time, that got a van full out of the local cafe where they were "taking refreshments".

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

For a cup of tea or a can of beer, those worrying individuals will usually be willing to help you. They are not all bad, some just prefer to live there.

We have done it a few times, never had a problem. Biggest problem is getting the end gates unlocked at a reasonable early time, the staff have been known to be very late arriving.

The last time we had to threaten to cut the chains after waiting an hour past the arranged time, that got a van full out of the local cafe where they were "taking refreshments".

I'm sure that is correct on many occasions. However when we passed through the 2nd lock on the way down, neither of the young chaps who had been sleeping on the lock-side could even stand without mutual support. I was quite worried that one or both would fall into the lock. They could not conceivably have been able to help, however willing.

Just investigated the CRT website  and under the navigational advice section for the Rochdale, the following appears :-

From Date:
8th February 2018 at 10:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Advice
Reason:
Information
Description:

Canal & River Trust has a number of volunteer lock keepers working on the Rochdale Canal Manchester 9 and the Manchester 18, between Lock 65 at Failsworth and Lock 92 at Castlefield. Although booking is no longer required on the flight, it can be hard work and a number of boaters have requested assistance. 

The volunteers are happy to help when they can. Their help is given voluntarily so assistance is not guaranteed, but if you would like help call 0303 040 4040 at least 48 hours before your planned passage (longer if possible) and we will try to arrange this with the volunteers. 

The lock keepers have all trained with the Trust and have excellent local knowledge which can really add to your experience of the flight. 

Please call us if you want to look into this, the more notice the better. 

While assistance cannot be guaranteed the volunteers are committed to helping where they can.

Thanks once again everyone.

I'd advocate getting help if it is available. On some of the locks there is no opportunity for the steerer to do anything other than stay on the boat and when the water is coming over the top of the gates they can be very reluctant to open.

Last time we went down the Rochdale 9 -- in the rain, predictably -- there was water pouring over many of the top gates which made opening the bottom gates very hard work. Especially the one with the chain on a drum to open gates with truncated beams, the chain slipped on the wet drum and I eventually had to stand on it to add more tension while someone else turned the windlass, this would have been impossible single-handed. Volunteers would help greatly if they're around, but they weren't when we were there.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post an update here!

On 27/02/2018 at 16:29, rgreg said:

Just hope that this isn't delayed again as it's getting closer to your planned visit. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11519/peak-forest-canal-marple-flight

As you probably know, these repairs were delayed, which prevented us from doing the ring. (We went Sat 12th to Sat 19th May).

Instead, we stuck with the Trent and Mersey Canal all the way up to Lymm, turning on Tuesday morning to head back.

We arrived back at the junction with the Macclesfield Canal around 11am on Thursday morning, so we decided to head up the Macclesfield, stopping in Congleton overnight. A late start (9:30am) before turning before Bridge 63 avoiding Bosley Rise and returning to the Harecastle Tunnel for 2:50pm.

Our Canal Companion book had a winding hole marked on the Macclesfield by Bridge 66. We found a boat moored opposite, so despite a small attempt had to move onto to the next one.

Looking on the CRT Waterways Map, there isn't a winding hole marked here? Which is correct!?

Timings through the Harecastle were;

Northbound: 41 mins - I caught the boat in front and had to back off quite a bit!

Southbound: 32 mins - I was the lead boat so was able to keep my pace. It's quite something driving at nothing for the doors to suddenly open!