Vetus M4 tappet setting

wullie

Featured Posts

:D Pendant alert - the tappet setting on our OHV engines is .......................................... there is not one. The question is about valve clearances, often called tappet clearance from the days of side valve engine where the was some form of clearance that had to be set between cam follower and tappet. :D

Now lets discuss grinding the stem of Ford valves to get the correct clearance.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

:D Pendant alert - the tappet setting on our OHV engines is .......................................... there is not one. The question is about valve clearances, often called tappet clearance from the days of side valve engine where the was some form of clearance that had to be set between cam follower and tappet. :D

Please. Let's not.  Let bygones be bygones.  <_<

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Tell me aout it.  I still have somewhere the little sort of half onion shaped tool for tapping out the split valve guides to release and withraw the valves.

8 hours ago, ianali said:

Why can't many on this forum just let a question be answered without having to complicate matters? Valve clearance, tappet settings same thing . 

Not really. Not if you don’t have tappets ;)

Besides, when did a little levity become prohibited?

35 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Not really. Not if you don’t have tappets ;)

Besides, when did a little levity become prohibited?

I'm all for a little levity. It just seems that many of the topics on here get done to death. This topic for example, poster asks for tappet gaps, he gets his answer. Thats enough for me. 

Ian.

1 hour ago, ianali said:

I'm all for a little levity. It just seems that many of the topics on here get done to death. This topic for example, poster asks for tappet gaps, he gets his answer. Thats enough for me. 

Ian.

That's the problem. He asked for tappet clearances but he was given the valve clearances. Which did he want? Did the person who replied know which he wanted and if so why give him what is technically an incorrect answer. Just because valve clearances are often called tappet clearances does not make it correct, any more than amps per hour and a current of so many volts ls is correct.

If anyone wants good answers the question needs to be correct, if anyone, including yourself, thinks that tappet clearances is correct I suggest that you look in any workshop manual for an OHV engine. You will not find that term.

I did my best to point this out in as gentle and humorous way as I could, if you take exception then I am sorry. Maybe you are happy for others to continue in ignorance but I am not. Anyone is free to ignore or learn from information freely given.

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That's the problem. He asked for tappet clearances but he was given the valve clearances. Which did he want? Did the person who replied know which he wanted and if so why give him what is technically an incorrect answer. Just because valve clearances are often called tappet clearances does not make it correct, any more than amps per hour and a current of so many volts ls is correct.

If anyone wants good answers the question needs to be correct, if anyone, including yourself, thinks that tappet clearances is correct I suggest that you look in any workshop manual for an OHV engine. You will not find that term.

I did my best to point this out in as gentle and humorous way as I could, if you take exception then I am sorry. Maybe you are happy for others to continue in ignorance but I am not. Anyone is free to ignore or learn from information freely given.

As you say valve clearances are often called tappet clearances. Il bet you a pint that the OP got the answer he needed! A quick Google shows that its generally accepted that valve and tappet clearance is the same thing. I know and agree its technically inaccurate, but in this case it just doesn't matter! Anyway, apology accepted.

Ian.

13 hours ago, ianali said:

Why can't many on this forum just let a question be answered without having to complicate matters? Valve clearance, tappet settings same thing . 

Well it threw me in to right tiz, so I am glad of clarification.

btw if evryone just answered the Q asked it would get a bit boring, I like to read evrythink.

Edited by LadyG