River Nene

john-meyer

Featured Posts

Hi there,

My wife and I are pondering spending some time on the Nene this year,probably based at Billing.We have spent much time on both broad and narrow canals but never rivers.We would welcome any advice or opinions.Regards,John and Karen NB Victory

Great river - we spent 2 years moored at Oundle app 10 years ago and have also been back twice since last time in Autumn 2016.

Moorings not plentiful but I think there is a "friends of .... society" which now helps - you don't say how long or what type of boat under 60ft is an advantage and we boated most recently with a tug which was a challenge on some lock moorings as the river is kitted out much more for sub 40ft GRP cruisers with higher gunwhales.

You can get caught out if the weather turns wet as it is a drainage system first and a navigable river second so don't plan your itinerary too tightly.

A deep draft can also be a challenge on the Gayton/Northampton stretch we were 34" and had some issues with the weed.

Definitely give it a go if you never have - its a rare treat and pretty undiscovered. 

Edited by Halsey

Thanks Halsey,worth noting as we are a 62 foot full trad, draft of 27ish inches but only 24HP of Gardner to push us along.We looked at Oundle but no electic hook up put us off.Regards John and Karen PS, Also thanks to nbfiresprite-I'll check out the link

Edited by john-meyer
forgot to thank someone!

For someone who already has good experience on canals, it isn't really a big step up to go out on a non-tidal river. so long as you bear in mind a few basic rules.

First and foremost, respect the flow. People will talk about how this, that or the other river can be a particular beast when in flood, but I think the truth is that any river is to be treated with great caution after heavy rain. Just be aware of expected levels and if they're too high stay safely moored up somewhere; you're not going to come to grief if you're in Billings because you'll be on a pontoon which floats nicely up or down when it needs to.

Normally, i.e. nearly all the time, the water will just be gently moving downstream and an ordinary boat engine will be plenty to overcome that and enable you to go upstream. But if your engine fails while you're out you need to get safely in to the bank somewhere, or at least halt your movement, before your boat ends up crashing into someone or something or pinned against the next weir downstream, and this is why you should carry an anchor.

Depth on rivers varies wildly; there will often be shallows especially on the inside of bends so don't cut corners. Conversely the main channel will often be too deep to stand up in, hence the need for lifejackets.

When mooring make sure your lines are diagonal with a bit of slack to allow for changes in level, and always tie the upstream end of the boat first, before the current catches it and turns the boat round.

Finally, enjoy it; I like the Nene, much of it is very peaceful and rural, with a lot less traffic than you may be used to from the canal system. Things start getting quieter when you turn off the GU at Gayton, but do try to have at least one energetic crew member that day for all those locks going down the Northampton Arm.

The river Nen is closed in parts for maintenance until at least 28th March.

Blackthorn Lake, White Mills and Lilford marinas all have power.

The locks can take boats up to 78' x 13' but can be awkward to get on and off the short lock landings which are often at an angle to the lock.

It's worth registering for Strong Stream Advisories and joining the Friends of the river Nene (£10 p.a.)

It's a beautiful river, but be prepared for a lot less facilities, water, rubbish, diesel and pump outs are not as easily accessible as they are on the canals.

Safe & happy boating.

Chop & Glenda

Once again, thank you for the advice.We did give White Mills a look,very quiet and peaceful and the owners were very helpful-Iliked it very much but Karen likes the facilities at Billing[also our kids could use the boat and take their kids for a weekend at Billing].So ,we shall see! As we are currently on the Stort,we are used to having few facilities but again,worth noting.Happy cruising,John and Karen

It's lovely - take your time. There may be a bit more traffic this year en route to the festival in St Ives. It's very important to register with the EA for their flood alerts - text/email warnings of when the river is in flood, and then is closed to navigation.

At some locks they still (I believe) use them as sluices ie chain open the top gates and then open the guillotine (called "reversing", for some reason I don't fathom). Navigating the lock in this state is not a good idea .... I can't find a photo, but here is one of the simialar procedure on the Great Ouse (Houghton). You can just see one of the bottom gates on the right, open.

Kevin-Loader-2a.jpg