Interconnecting (5) Multiple batteries

Sapphal

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Thanks again then peeps. 95mm2 it is then, after all I only have to do it once.

& before anyone is bothered about how much electrickery I'm going to try & use at once, definitely not that much. Microwave & washing machine only with the engine running (or on shore power), no hair dryers or anything else here. Dehumidifier just no, not even with the engine running, that thing wants about 70amps at 12V, so hell no, shore power only!

Might want a 3k inverter for that if you want a warm or hot wash without faffing around with the hot kettle trick. Is a 3k inverter much more than a 2k one? Or does anyone with a 2k inverter regret not buying a 3k one?

A large inverter is one way to use up excess summer solar, then back to relative frugality in winter I s'pose.

Edited by smileypete

20 hours ago, WotEver said:

Count the links from each battery to the main connections, adding up the negative path & the positive path. Batteries 1 & 5 have 4 links, Batteries 2, 3 & 4 have two links. This means that the bank isn’t balanced; Batteries 2, 3, 4 will be loaded fractionally more heavily than 1 & 5.  

Worse. But it’s not something I’d lose any sleep over. 

OK, thanks for clarifying this.Think I might change it though

• 3 months later...
On 25/02/2018 at 11:31, smileypete said:

Might want a 3k inverter for that if you want a warm or hot wash without faffing around with the hot kettle trick. Is a 3k inverter much more than a 2k one? Or does anyone with a 2k inverter regret not buying a 3k one?

A large inverter is one way to use up excess summer solar, then back to relative frugality in winter I s'pose.

Thanks again (sorry it's a bit late).

In not buying another inverter, they cost a fortune. I've not had a problem in 4 years with my 2k inverter, & I usually do laundry at 30°C, I think I've only ever done it at 90°C once & that was on shore power. Usually on shore power anyway.

Edit. Just looked at the washing machine, apparently it wants 3kW.

Edited by Ssscrudddy

On Innisfree I connected 8 batts in series /parallel to give 24v.  8 in a row and divided into 2 banks, each bank of 4 were paralleled and both connected together in series. 

Odd thing was the bank connected to the positive supply side were always at a slightly lower voltage (can't recall the amount, maybe one tenth of a volt?) IIRCC Gibbo was a bit puzzled by that. 

Also I rigged up a battery clock to record time on and off of our 12/24v Shorepower fridge, another odd thing there, it recorded approx 12 hr on out of 24, but in winter and summer. Kept checking and rechecking with similar results. Gibbo was a bit puzzled by that also. 

Electromicity is a funny old thing at times. 

17 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I rigged up a battery clock to record time on and off of our 12/24v Shorepower fridge, another odd thing there, it recorded approx 12 hr on out of 24, but in winter and summer. Kept checking and rechecking with similar results.

Some fridges (no idea if the Shorepower is one or not) don’t use a thermostat but a timer. So all the temp knob does is alter the time intervals. That would explain the above if the Shorepower is indeed such a type. 

Edited by WotEver
Typos

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Some fridges (no idea if the Shorepower is one or not) don’t use a thermostat but a timer. So all the temp knob does is alter the time intervals. That would explain the above if the Shorepower is indeed such a type. 

I was under the impression they had a t/stat.