Big sofa, little door...

Vortex

Featured Posts

On 19/02/2018 at 19:18, Richard10002 said:

The sofas from Sofabedbarn are often recommended here, but I didn’t think they looked great on the web site..... So I went to Queensbury to have a look and a sit.

They are much better in the flesh so I bought one. Looks great in the boat, and delivered through a small front door.

I don’t think they do leather, or faux leather, so no use to you but, if I were you, I’d get myself to the Nabru shop and see how they are in real life. They may be much better than they look.

You might have to compromise, given that you want a big sofa, but only have a small door.

They do a 'Nubuck' (fake I assume) - not on the website, I think, but definitely available cos we've ordered it on the chairbeds they're making for us as I type!

• Greenie 1

• 4 months later...

I have a Nabru that I find is perfectly comfy. This is something where one persons idea of ideal is not the same as anothers, so the only way you can tell is to try one yourself. Be careful on measurements of the sofa, not just getting it in. If you have a narrow beam boat, then watch for height compared with the gunwale so it can slot underneath and overall depth, so you can actually get past it. Most sofas for houses are far too big for narrowboats. If you have a wide beam, then your options are wider too (see what I did there?). ?

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an upmarket leather sofa for our apartment a couple of years ago, the sofa is of Italian leather, only the leather was imported and the frame and carcass made locally by the agent/vendor. As the show room model was too big for our apartment both the frame and leather cover was cut down in size at no extra cost (or saving). Given this experience perhaps by approaching suppliers you may get a similar tailored version to allow a sofa designed to your requirements, i.e. size and ability to deconstruct. The money saved on converting a boat door would then be invested in a better quality sofa.

On 16/07/2018 at 15:42, ditchcrawler said:

My son put the sofa in his terraced house before the widows were replaced. It now a permanent fixture

How many widows live with your son, why did they need replacing, and what happened to the old ones?

• Haha 3

On 25/07/2018 at 09:59, IanD said:

How many widows live with your son, why did they need replacing, and what happened to the old ones?

I once got the three seater jammed in the hallway for a few hours, I considered sawing it in half!

On 16/07/2018 at 15:42, ditchcrawler said:

My son put the sofa in his terraced house before the widows were replaced. It now a permanent fixture

Gerard Hoffnung always makes me laugh:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-q6TcbHLE

(3'30")

Edited by koukouvagia

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

I once got the three seater jammed in the hallway for a few hours, I considered sawing it in half!

Come on, it's a bit cruel to describe a poor widow as a three seater no matter how large her posterior is -- and surely the only time sawing her in half would be acceptable would be if it was done on the stage by a magician, not in a hallway... ?

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at a previous thread "Sofa bed" started by ajs1001 in Feb. My post is #3. The Texas still seems to be available and comes in a box which is just over 4ft wide (how small IS your door?) and maybe a foot thick (6ft long)  Mine still looks immaculate after a few years of admittedly limited use (fair weather boater), but remains very popular with the crew!!

I once purchased a very comfy , large leather 2 seater sofa for £7,, it was max 37 " depth by 37 " height, it didnt matter about the length because it just goes through a 22 " door.

Measuring down to the maximum depth I had 48 " because of the steps.  It went in a treat and looked fab.

On another occasion I got the best looking sofa (2 seater) again from ebay, I didn't pay much for it about £40 I think. There wasn't a cat in hells chance of it going through the door front or back. So I peeled the sacking off the bottom, being careful because it was going to be stapled back on,  then peeled the material back like an orange until i revealed the legs and support wood frame.then I cut straight the frame with a wood saw, i now had 2 parts of the sofa. The top and the bottom.

Put them both inside the boat quite easily, join the legs and frame back together with splints on the inside edges of the legs/frame where necessary, pull the material back( leather is fantastic at being restretched) tack down with good staples and then sit on it.

Ps the the one I paid £7 For gave me about £4.50 in loose change,a mobile phone a couple of pens and a sega master system game .

It was great fun, only took a couple of hours and was the envy of a few fellow boaters.

Edited by Karen Lea Rainey