I wonder what the deal is with this boat.

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure why you are not sure. Nigel explained in detail in the other thread you are taking part in.

CRT are entitled to move it without notice if it is causing an obstruction (which it is).

In the long ago days before roads had yellow lines, the main means by which police could prosecute was on the grounds of obstruction. As I recall - but it was a while ago - they could make such a case stand up almost by just saying that the vehicle was on the road! Wonder if the same would apply to boats on a canal, so long as it was on a navigable section?

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm sure that it is merely a coincidence, but the boat referred to in my OP has cruised off into the distance this morning, or perhaps whinging on here does work:rolleyes:

Either that or someone nicked it because we were talking about an abandoned boat!

On a different note. I renew on line at least a month usualy more before due date and every year a couple of licences has come in the post I renewed last November for my licence to run from end of January this year and for the first time no paper licences have appeared. I don't have a printer on board so will not be displaying a licence for the first time ever. I did put my number in and it says I am licenced on the checker I wonder how many people will be checking me out this year? What do other full time livers do? Do you all carry a printer for the one time a year its needed or do you ask someone else to do it for you or simply not bother?

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

On a different note. I renew on line at least a month usualy more before due date and every year a couple of licences has come in the post I renewed last November for my licence to run from end of January this year and for the first time no paper licences have appeared. I don't have a printer on board so will not be displaying a licence for the first time ever. I did put my number in and it says I am licenced on the checker I wonder how many people will be checking me out this year? What do other full time livers do? Do you all carry a printer for the one time a year its needed or do you ask someone else to do it for you or simply not bother?

65' and you dont have an office? my goodness Tim i am surprised! ... next time i see you you can happily borrow mine to print off your licence :) 

Rick 

13 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

65' and you dont have an office? my goodness Tim i am surprised! ... next time i see you you can happily borrow mine to print off your licence :) 

Rick 

68 rick 68........do they make em smaller? Ive got enough crap onboard swmbo will throttle me if I bring a printer on :D Get that bloomin boat painted anyway!!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I am personally surprised you 1) haven't heard about the sensible step(s) of what to do in this situation or 2) can't work it out yourself. Just phone up CRT and tell them you don't have a printer, and they'll send you out a paper licence. Your approach makes you look like a belligerent ranter/moaner, it has to be said.

• Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

68 rick 68........do they make em smaller? Ive got enough crap onboard swmbo will throttle me if I bring a printer on :D Get that bloomin boat painted anyway!!

Hahaha !!! i knew that! sat and counted to 10 see how quick you would correct me! .... well it beats watching paint dry!

Rick

54 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Go to a student pub and print it off.

They are great. They have printers and phone chargers galore.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I'm just going to change the year on the ones I already have that should suffice.

Heh.  Do it very obviously in blue biro.

If you cross out the old reference number on the old one and write the new number next to it that will actually be perfectly valid, but will get all the grumpies muttering into their beer. :icecream:

• Happy 1

38 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I am personally surprised you 1) haven't heard about the sensible step(s) of what to do in this situation or 2) can't work it out yourself. Just phone up CRT and tell them you don't have a printer, and they'll send you out a paper licence. Your approach makes you look like a belligerent ranter/moaner, it has to be said.

Err I don't think it was a rant I just mentioned it that's all. I find it weird that in twenty eight years before they and their forefathers sent me a set by post so why not this year. a printed pair on a single a4 paper sent out second class would be ok and probably not cost them much out of my nearly one thousand pounds licence cost or they could add a pound on if they wanted. Its the same as with all services we receive, the cost goes up each year and the service also goes down.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Heh.  Do it very obviously in blue biro.

If you cross out the old reference number on the old one and write the new number next to it that will actually be perfectly valid, but will get all the grumpies muttering into their beer. :icecream:

Good idea I will do that cos as you say it surely doesn't have to be all shiney and new provided it has correct details on it.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have seen ones printed half size and displayed in a porthole. I am sure they will post you full size ones if you ask

My licence was due end of November and I lied about having a printer, as I thought why should I print them when spending £795.00. They sent me the licence about a month to 6 weeks later. I gave it a go and it printed them!. I thought my printer wouldn't print them as in the past I needed both black and colour ink to print some documents and only have some black ink left.

What happened to the nice green licence? The last two years they look like a cheap and nasty photocopy! Tim if you don't get sorted print them at mine.

James:cheers:

Edited by canals are us?
  • Happy 1

42 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

My licence was due end of November and I lied about having a printer, as I thought why should I print them when spending £795.00. They sent me the licence about a month to 6 weeks later. I gave it a go and it printed them!. I thought my printer wouldn't print them as in the past I needed both black and colour ink to print some documents and only have some black ink left.

What happened to the nice green licence? The last two years they look like a cheap and nasty photocopy! Tim if you don't get sorted print them at mine.

James:cheers:

:cheers:

what annoys me is not the fact that the licence has gone up every one of the last 28 times, I have had businesses and fully understand inflation etc etc etc. I used to put my prices up sometimes yearly. However putting prices up to enable a higher income or at least maintaining the income AND reducing the service given is quite simply extracting the urine. Its a double whammy a lot like bins used to be emptied every week in my houses when I lived in one then the council tax went up and the bins were emptied fortnightly :angry: So they puts my licence fee up and stop sending me the said licence.

Edited by mrsmelly

On 2/20/2018 at 23:15, ditchcrawler said:

But non of us know what legal steps CRT are taking with regard to this boat at the moment, just because its there doesn't mean they are not doing anything.

But couldn't i be moored in a less used place if they are/while having a sort out

On 2/18/2018 at 23:21, Wanderer Vagabond said:

abandoning boats

Just an anecdote. I remember  many years ago a bus company that went into liquidation where the owner moved a number of his buses to an off-site location. When the liquidators turned up to appraise the trading stock these were not taken into account. Their ownership I assume having been transferred when doom was on the horizon. 6 months later the buses were sold on to someone I knew who started a small bus company.