Nasa BM2

Sapphal

Featured Posts

Hi All

I have a bank of 5 x 110A leisure batteries and have acqiuired a Nasa BM2 battery monitor.  This has a 200 amp shunt and a cable presumably rated for 200 amps.  However, the cable supplied is considerably thinner than the cable from the batteries.  I have a 2kw inverter.

Questions is.

Can I just fit alarger cable to the shunt?  I am not going to pull more than 200 amps from the batteries.

TIA5a89f3b599881_IMAG03251.jpg.8fd28aa4a843ab427c51a846c9c97692.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sapphal said:

Hi All

I have a bank of 5 x 110A leisure batteries and have acqiuired a Nasa BM2 battery monitor.  This has a 200 amp shunt and a cable presumably rated for 200 amps.  However, the cable supplied is considerably thinner than the cable from the batteries.  I have a 2kw inverter.

Questions is.

Can I just fit alarger cable to the shunt?  I am not going to pull more than 200 amps from the batteries.

TIA5a89f3b599881_IMAG03251.jpg.8fd28aa4a843ab427c51a846c9c97692.jpg

The cable supplied doesn't carry the full current. The shunt sits in the negative battery cable, which is what carries the current. Fit it as per the instructions and it will be fine.

Thanks for the info re the BM2.

I don't know what the croc clips are for they were there when i bought the boat.  Strangely they are doth connected to the starter battery +ve (left of picture).  Perhaps to be used as an emergency jump to the starter battery?

Yes, I intend to clean and grease all the battery terminals and generally clean the whole battery compartment.

Thanks to alll

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suggest you don't try it - you will just end up with a heap of melted and shorted cables and (probably) toxic smoke.

I agree - they look far too thin, I will remove the wires when I clean up the battery terminals.  If I ever need to jump the starter, I will use proper heavy duty jump leads.