phone signal

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi all,can anyone suggest the best way to boost the mobile phone signal to make and receive calls on board, many thanks 

A lot will depend where you actualy moor? For instance moor at many places in Lower heyford and there is NO signal to boost the 3 network does not work within two miles of it. Moor in Barton turns marina and hide at the bottom of the boat and get full bars due to a new mast being erected 100 yards away. The signal differs every few yards ont cut I have found. I have a cheap booster aerial thingy from fleabay but I don't use it often, in fact I don't know where ive put it.

1.External aerial and phone cradle (probably only available on older dumb phone)

2.Bluetooth headphone /speaker with phone in window or cratch

3.Dodgy chinese booster (probably illegal)

4.Change network to a stronger provider.

5. Move boat closer to transmitter

6.Move transmitter closer to boat.

7. Stand on roof

8.Make phone calls through wattsapp or skype.

9.Get landline and long extension

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

1.External aerial and phone cradle (probably only available on older dumb phone)

2.Bluetooth headphone /speaker with phone in window or cratch

3.Dodgy chinese booster (probably illegal)

4.Change network to a stronger provider.

5. Move boat closer to transmitter

6.Move transmitter closer to boat.

7. Stand on roof

8.Make phone calls through wattsapp or skype.

9.Get landline and long extension

Its official. You are insane.

We hung our dongle and then our smartphone in the window - trying both sides of the boat. If there was still no signal go outside and see if your phone works. If it doesn't you're in a dead zone and nothing will boost a non existent signal - read a book :)

It's a case of deciding what's most important in your life. If having a phone/internet signal is then cruising our amazing and gorgeous canal system isn't for you because lots of time is spent in remote areas and cuttings where no network has access. I've been there and it's a harsh reality test when you're used to being plugged in all the time, but it's one of the things you have to weigh up when you're making that lifestyle choice

• Love 1

10 hours ago, MartynG said:

Doesn't that require a phone signal too ?

Most if not all modern mobiles do not have an external antenna so you have to get out of your metal box to get the signal. If you get a decent 4G set up for data comms then you can mount an external antenna to the roof and connect it to the router inside so you can get -50 to -60 dB signals...very good...for WhatsApp even when phone signals seem poor.

10 hours ago, Chipmunk said:

We hung our dongle and then our smartphone in the window - trying both sides of the boat. If there was still no signal go outside and see if your phone works. If it doesn't you're in a dead zone and nothing will boost a non existent signal - read a book :)

There is always a signal. You just need a big enough antenna to receive it. The antennas on dongles or phones are pretty poor so not surprising there are dead zones. My external antenna for 4G mounted 4ft above roof height works very well and I have not failed last year to get data comms. Many, many times the phone is a dead loss because we are in an 'apparent' dead zone. The big problem is you can't attach an external antenna to a mobile. Have these range extenders got external antennas? If so they should work well.

10 hours ago, Chipmunk said:

It's a case of deciding what's most important in your life. If having a phone/internet signal is then cruising our amazing and gorgeous canal system isn't for you because lots of time is spent in remote areas and cuttings where no network has access. I've been there and it's a harsh reality test when you're used to being plugged in all the time, but it's one of the things you have to weigh up when you're making that lifestyle choice

I haven't done as much of the canal system as you, but there is no need to forgoe Internet and telephone, as the very existence of this forum seems to confirm.

11 hours ago, Chipmunk said:

thank you  chipskunk for your reply, ive been a liveaboard many years and a cc`r,so i no all about the pros and cons of boating and life on the cut i had a family member who needed to contact me urgently but was unable to so i thought i would ask the question about the signal booster,

ps,try not to assume things about other peoples lifes

23 hours ago, Chipmunk said:

Well I get an internet signal on 3 95% of the time using a Mifi mounted in a wooden dog box, so out of the metal box. My phone is on vodafone and its a bit old so supports an external aerial, it limits where in the boat I can use it but it work also about 95% of the time. S Oxford around Heyford and the Caldon at Cheddleton canal are 2 places both have failed completely

15 hours ago, dreadnought said:

thank you  chipskunk for your reply, ive been a liveaboard many years and a cc`r,so i no all about the pros and cons of boating and life on the cut i had a family member who needed to contact me urgently but was unable to so i thought i would ask the question about the signal booster,

ps,try not to assume things about other peoples lifes

I was offering advice based on the limited information provided - it's human nature to make assumptions. If you've managed so many years I'm amazed it's suddenly become an issue but hey ho.

Enjoy your cruising I'm deeply envious as I had to give up cc'ing because of serious health problems - all I can do now is try to offer advice based on my experience - advice which is always well intentioned. I think I may give up on that - it's a sodding minefield!

PS don't make assumptions on the people offering advice- they may be kind, genuine people just trying to help

Edited by Chipmunk
  • Greenie 1

To boost signal

1)take phone out of steel box

2) take phone for walk

3) go for bike ride remember to do 1 as well

Also have 2 phones one on 3 for cheap data and back up on another network. We use telstra because that keeps our international number plus roams to best uk network so you get a signal if there is one

To boost signal

1)take phone out of steel box

2) take phone for walk

3) go for bike ride remember to do 1 as well

Also have 2 phones one on 3 for cheap data and back up on another network. We use telstra because that keeps our international number plus roams to best uk network so you get a signal if there is one

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well I get an internet signal on 3 95% of the time using a Mifi mounted in a wooden dog box, so out of the metal box. My phone is on vodafone and its a bit old so supports an external aerial, it limits where in the boat I can use it but it work also about 95% of the time. S Oxford around Heyford and the Caldon at Cheddleton canal are 2 places both have failed completely

EE now provides a good signal on the canal at Lower Heyford but not in the village

Hi

we had a similar problem and OH needs to keep in touch while we are out and about, We solved it by making sure we were on different networks and I have to say that EE are really good I usually have a signal even if OH doesn't. We have a MY WIFI stuck to the window with velcro which usually also gets a 4G signal .

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I can't think of anywhere we didn't get phone signal (3) last year. Several places that used to be black holes seem to have improved no end.

How about Torksey Cut ? I usually have to walk up to the road bridge and even then a signal is hit and miss.

However it does depend on which network you are on.

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

How about Torksey Cut ? I usually have to walk up to the road bridge and even then a signal is hit and miss.

However it does depend on which network you are on.

We even had signal down there when we were down last month. Bit hit and miss and slow at times but we had it.