Huddlesford / Whittington. Pub advice please.

Duckhook

Featured Posts

Ladies & Gents.

Along with my extremely active crew, I''m in the early stages of planning a holiday in June. From our starting point, Fradley seems a possible for our first night. However as we are heading to Birmingham, and have in the past found The Canal Planner wonderfully useful, but maybe for us, a little conservative, we may plod on. So two questions for the experts

please. The Plough at Huddlesfield. Can a decent sleep be had? How intrusive is the railway? If the answer is negative, how about Whittington? Many thanks

8 minutes ago, Duckhook said:

Ladies & Gents.

Along with my extremely active crew, I''m in the early stages of planning a holiday in June. From our starting point, Fradley seems a possible for our first night. However as we are heading to Birmingham, and have in the past found The Canal Planner wonderfully useful, but maybe for us, a little conservative, we may plod on. So two questions for the experts

please. The Plough at Huddlesfield. Can a decent sleep be had? How intrusive is the railway? If the answer is negative, how about Whittington? Many thanks

We have moored there often (not too near the bridge) and although you can certainly hear the trains in the evening, it hasn’t kept me awake as there seems not much train traffic late into the night. The Plough is a nice pub and does great Tim Taylor’s Landlord. About 1/2 mile before the pub, you can moor just past the new marina which is beyond the A38 noise and before railway noise. Or you can moor a few 100 yards past Huddlesford Jn just after the bridge, short walk back to the pub along the lane. Still relatively close to the railway, but it seems better screened. Or just before you get into Whittington, further from the railway but further from the pubs!

What is the Plough like now for food? Mooring at Streethay we used to have a meal there on the last evening of our trip but we haven't been for a long time now. It became a bit pricey and was obviously aiming for the up market diner with some odd combinations of flavour in the main courses. The final straw was when I had fish and chips as at least it was recognisable but the fish was awful! For an establishment which serves a lot of fish dishes and you therefore assume has a good source of fish it was tasteless and not a fresh flakey consistency. I mentioned this when asked if we had enjoyed our meal but got a  "couldn't care less" response. A pity as it is a nice pub and since the closure of the Anchor in Streethay it is our local. 

Haggis 

PS Just to keep to the topic, I didn't hear the trains as I took out my hearing aids :-) 

Edited by haggis

As above. (Meaning Nick's post)

I usually moor close to the gate/opening in fence across the road from the pub and have never had a problem with the noise. Yes, you can hear the odd train but not enough to spoil your sleep  

Enjoy. 

Edited by Goliath
D

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

What is the Plough like now for food? Mooring at Streethay we used to have a meal there on the last evening of our trip but we haven't been for a long time now. It became a bit pricey and was obviously aiming for the up market diner with some odd combinations of flavour in the main courses. The final straw was when I had fish and chips as at least it was recognisable but the fish was awful! For an establishment which serves a lot of fish dishes and you therefore assume has a good source of fish it was tasteless and not a fresh flakey consistency. I mentioned this when asked if we had enjoyed our meal but got a  "couldn't care less" response. A pity as it is a nice pub and since the closure of the Anchor in Streethay it is our local. 

Haggis 

PS Just to keep to the topic, I didn't hear the trains as I took out my hearing aids :-) 

My grumble with the pub would be it's over staffed with young folk busy on their phones or talking to each other and not showing attention to the bar and waiting customers. 

Otherwise beer and food been ok. 

1 hour ago, Duckhook said:

Ladies & Gents.

The Plough does a very nice meal, have eaten there often recently. It also opens for breakfast which are also good, had one there yesterday .It’s a while since I moored there so cannot state what mooring there is like.  Also on the slightly upmarket scale is the Tame Otter at Hopwas, very nice meals. Also at Hopwas Is the Red Lion, not as upmarket as the otter but is more of a pub and serves good value meals, is friendly and has a canal side garden, we ate there today.

The Gate at Amington is less upmarket but perfectly pleasant and does good value meals.

Tim

53 minutes ago, canalpubs said:

If Haggis lives in the area just wondered what his current view of The Swan at Fradley is now after the change of hands last year ?

We don't actually live in the area, just keep our boat there 

We visited the Swan a few weeks ago and I liked their new menu and the food was good. We will go back! 

Haggis 

4 hours ago, canalpubs said:

If Haggis lives in the area just wondered what his current view of The Swan at Fradley is now after the change of hands last year ?

I've commented on the 'Mucky Duck' several times over the years in my Pub Cruises on these forums.  Although it still is one of the better canalside pubs, it is now not in the Good Beer Guide,  and hasn't quite the same character as of old.  From the 2017 Pub Cruise:

SWAN, Fradley (Aug 14) 5+4+7=16 This much-loved pub has had a rather bare makeover, with much clutter removed, and new furniture. Beer still good, though not now in GBG.

9 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've commented on the 'Mucky Duck' several times over the years in my Pub Cruises on these forums.  Although it still is one of the better canalside pubs, it is now not in the Good Beer Guide,  and hasn't quite the same character as of old.  From the 2017 Pub Cruise:

Still good, but not what it was, less character higher prices - but the Fish and Chips is to die for!

As a loacal, I prefer the food in the Samuel Barlow at Alvecote, to that in The Gate at Amington. Locally sourced and properly cooked, rather than microwaved chain food. 

There is a wider range of beers and more ambience in The Gate though.