Bristol floating harbour

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps

Its near on seventeen years since we last nipped down the K and A. We are going down to Bristol this year can anyone with local up to date knowledge inform me as to cost theses days? Is it easy to find parking spots for the boat when in there? Do I need to book? Is it daily or a weekly tarrif etc etc?

Cheeeeers

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thankyou. After posting I googled and came across this. Obviously Bristol don't want visitors then so I will go to Hanham or somett. Have you been there recently ? it always used to be no problem but don't know if things have changed?

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I went a couple of years ago and stayed a couple of nights. I much preferred Bath as a venue but its full of full time boaters, not much room for hobby boaters :captain:

Yes I believe its a bit rammed theses days. We had a long term mooring in Bath and there were about 20/30 boats moored in total then between Bath and BOA............I believe that has changed recently.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thankyou. After posting I googled and came across this. Obviously Bristol don't want visitors then so I will go to Hanham or somett. Have you been there recently ? it always used to be no problem but don't know if things have changed?

No, It's just you they don't wan't. :lol::lol:

Seriously, why don't you phone the Harbour Master for mor information :- https://www.bristol.gov.uk/documents/20182/0/Bristol+Harbour+-+Information+for+boaters/7d385665-47b9-4013-8458-e4ea6ef70d6e

• Happy 1

Bristol is great, but expensive. Which is why you can actu ally get moored there! Fine for a few nights, but you wouldn’t want to stay too long unless you are rich. When we visited last summer, Bathampton etc was pretty quiet, plenty of VM space. When you come onto the river at Bath, if you turn right there is no longer any mooring allowed between there and Pulteney - lots of signs warning of dire consequences if you do. So limited mooring on the river in bath, and on the canal once in Bath proper by the locks etc, but plenty just out of Bath. Overall, the place was much less rammed with CMers than I had expected.

file

• Happy 1

We were in Bristol last year, cost us £145.80 for 7 days, we are 60ft long and 11ft wide, 2 days would have been £55, so cheaper the longer you stay. Bath was no problem mooring on the river by Kingsmead. Also had no problem with moorings on the canal around Bath.

• Happy 1

On several visits to Bristol last year it was almost impossible to moor at Hanham lock due to ccmrs. Also a similar problem on most other river pontoons. Can be difficult on the river at Bath although currently more spaces as the construction work of the bank side has stopped, just watch out for the obnoius and rude day trip boat operator who wants to use at least 3 moorings to load his boat! Last year canal vm sites seemed better policed although lots of boats now moored along the first 10 miles from Bath, so can be slow going especially as an influx of wide beams that have to move frequently

Edited by adrianh
  • Happy 1

On 2/18/2018 at 17:37, F DRAYKE said:

We were in Bristol last year, cost us £145.80 for 7 days, we are 60ft long and 11ft wide, 2 days would have been £55, so cheaper the longer you stay. Bath was no problem mooring on the river by Kingsmead. Also had no problem with moorings on the canal around Bath.

That doesn't sound expensive at all. :huh:

9 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Are there any good overnight spots on the Avon between Bath and Bristol? Don't mind being tied to trees etc so long as the dog can get off...

We stopped for lunch at Saltford (on the straight between the village and the lock, in front of the houses). There are some new “visitor moorings” there, comprising a few posts to tie up to, but you can get right into the side. Can’t remember exactly what the signage said but I think it was 24 hrs.

But its £20 per night in Liverpool if you want to stay longer than 7 nights.

We are not proper continuous cruisers, for the last 6 years we have just bridge hopped between Bristol and Liverpool with a few diversions along the way. Its rather convenient having children living in the two best cities in the country. I really can't decide which one I prefer.

My children (Bristol) say that some Bristol folk call Liverpool the "Bristol of the North".

Bristol is expensive, but in the context of what CaRT charge for a winter mooring on a muddy bit of towpath with minimal facilities it looks like a bargain.

.............Dave

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

We stopped for lunch at Saltford (on the straight between the village and the lock, in front of the houses). There are some new “visitor moorings” there, comprising a few posts to tie up to, but you can get right into the side. Can’t remember exactly what the signage said but I think it was 24 hrs.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, dmr said:

But its £20 per night in Liverpool if you want to stay longer than 7 nights.

We are not proper continuous cruisers, for the last 6 years we have just bridge hopped between Bristol and Liverpool with a few diversions along the way. Its rather convenient having children living in the two best cities in the country. I really can't decide which one I prefer.

My children (Bristol) say that some Bristol folk call Liverpool the "Bristol of the North".

Bristol is expensive, but in the context of what CaRT charge for a winter mooring on a muddy bit of towpath with minimal facilities it looks like a bargain.

.............Dave

Many journalists claim that Brigstow* Bristol is the best city in England.  Please perpetuate the myth (?) so that my house value continues to spiral upwards. 

* there several alternative spellings, based on phonetics, including the supposed local difficulty of pronouncing 'ow' as in 'oh', without introducing an 'l' as in 'Bristle'.

Edited by Murflynn

I stayed in the floating harbour for just one night prior to going out onto the Avon and under the Clifton suspension bridge very early the next morning while it was still dark. It cost me about £30 to moor for the night, but I can't remember if that included entrance to the floating harbour itself? I think it did. I wish I'd had more time to explore the area on foot but there was a storm front approaching and I had to get across to Sharpness. Bristol floating harbour is an expensive place to get stuck in bad weather if you're planning to go out onto the Bristol channel.

12 d Clifton.jpg

Edited by blackrose