Today is a good day

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Feed bats, birds and I am sure plenty of other wildlife. 

Horseflies,  now those I would happily see gone for ever 

Quite right. The midges feed the bats. That's why you find a lot of bats up in Scotland. The pipistrelles used our house (in the loft) during the summer months occasionally for their maternity roost (they alternate between 3 or 4 sites). One year the Bat Lady estimated there were 1500 in the colony, not much bigger than a shoe box. When we moved down south and built our house in Cardiff, we had to do a bat survey for planning permission and locally there, pipistrelle colonies were typically 50 bats. The difference....more food for them in Scotland.

.....and I've not been on here all day.

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Quite right. The midges feed the bats. That's why you find a lot of bats up in Scotland. The pipistrelles used our house (in the loft) during the summer months occasionally for their maternity roost (they alternate between 3 or 4 sites). One year the Bat Lady estimated there were 1500 in the colony, not much bigger than a shoe box. When we moved down south and built our house in Cardiff, we had to do a bat survey for planning permission and locally there, pipistrelle colonies were typically 50 bats. The difference....more food for them in Scotland.

.....and I've not been on here all day.

Got a soft spot for bats, been involved in a few surveys and used the bat detectors a few times and love watching them fly at night, amazing things

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Got a soft spot for bats, been involved in a few surveys and used the bat detectors a few times and love watching them fly at night, amazing things

Yes, when we found them in our loft in Scotland, we were quite worried and called the Bat woman. Very educational. Bought a bat detector and found quite a few species around the farm we lived on. Great little animals....and they eat the midges .....hurray! When we moved to Cardiff, I did my own survey for bats....we had to knock an old bungalow down. Took a bit of effort to convince the planning officer I knew what I was talking about so avoid having to pay circa £3000 for a professional survey. That was however nearly 10 years ago and not done much bat watching since.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Do they serve any purpose at all? Even pesky wasps are pollinators; what do midges do?

Feed bats.

e.t.a. should have read the next page before replying !

Edited by Iain_S