My boat

tz55uk

Featured Posts

What would this be worth now iv had a survey on it the hull sides are 8 in place 10 bottom and 4 top it's just been blacked and 6 new anodes it's partly done inside and comes with new solar panels and wiring new kitchen. It's 99 build and 57ft trad . Iv seen a brand new build I'd like yours andy. 

IMAG0033.jpg

20170611_152421.jpg

20170611_152431.jpg

20170611_152436.jpg

Is this the boat that you thought needed replating?

Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

ETA.Whenever we have had our boat surveyed, the surveyor estimates a market value for it.May be worth asking your surveyor.

Edited by rusty69

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Let the market decide : Put it on ebay and you will get slightly above the market price.

Market price is when two people want it - the winner in an auction is paying 'one bid' above market price.

No, the final bid is the market price!

• Happy 1

Need a bit more info on the other stuff. Engine, gear box, electronics, bathroom, Bedroom, tanks, toilet...and the state of all of those....Ecofan?? A part finished boat is never going to get the value a finished boat will get...assuming the fit out is good. The market for a partly fitted out boat is much less. A finished nice 57ft boat is going to comand a decent price as they are in short supply.

At the minute I'm just having a new morco hot water system fitted and then iv got to put a bathroom in . And really need to tidy it up abit get rid of junk iv not took of.it also as a 1958 Rustin hornsly air cooled engine that I need to fit. Apart from that it needs a coat of paint . It's took me nearly two years to get here.(a big rollercoaster up-to now) 

10 hours ago, tz55uk said:

At the minute I'm just having a new morco hot water system fitted and then iv got to put a bathroom in . And really need to tidy it up abit get rid of junk iv not took of.it also as a 1958 Rustin hornsly air cooled engine that I need to fit. Apart from that it needs a coat of paint . It's took me nearly two years to get here.(a big rollercoaster up-to now) 

Much will depend on who is looking, how desperate they are and how much research they have done prior to buyin. as a for instance a year before last a nice guy came on here wanting to move aboard with family, he asked lots of questions and then asked me lots more by pm, he then bought a cracking boat from Wilton in very nice order inside and out needing nothing major for which he paid 30k move along  a  couple of months and a bloke turned up at our moorings with a just purchased boat. On arrival nothing of the canal could be seen for smoke from the totally shagged engine, the paintwork was abysmal practicaly nothing worked and the interior was in a terrible state needing a full re fit, he also paid 30k but had just done it because he was desperate for somewhere to live after divorce etc etc I will say no more but you get the idea?

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No engine? £15k then. 

Are you looking for a valuation now or when you have finished it?

And if you do install the engine you mention, and advertise it, then try to get its name right.  I realise you may have just made some typos, but that kind of detail matters to people, and if a description is sloppy it may put people off looking.

A lot of people will not favour an air cooled engine in a leisure boat, because they are generally a fair bit louder, and also the wasted heat can't be used to heat domestic water.

Does the shell have a skin tank that allows fitting a water cooled engine.  It would, I feel sure be easier to sell if the engine is water cooled with a skin tank.

(So says the man with two boats both with air cooled engines! :P)

Hi all firstly thank-you for replying yes it has a skin tank as at moment got a Ford engine in.nothing special just in it when I bought it. As we all no it's a labour of love but sometimes think selling it might be easier.I'm fairly new to all this so mistakes are made frequently. I will finish it I think as most stuff inside as been replaced with new 

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But a market has to be more than one person - hence a market price cannot be at a level that only one person will pay it.

As described, the market did have more than one person, since there were competing bids. Only one an win - your argument suggests that auctions can never guarantee to determine the market price. What is the market price if an item is listed with a reserve and only one person bids that price?

Would I be correct in thinking that your argument is not unconnected with the debate about using auctions to determine the market price for moorings?

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Would I be correct in thinking that your argument is not unconnected with the debate about using auctions to determine the market price for moorings?

You would be incorrect.

My argument is based on knowledge gained from my Post Graduate degree in Marketing and many years a member of the Institute of Marketing.

Setting a reserve on an item completely negates any concept of 'Market Price'. 

It is the price that the owner puts on the item to indicate the value to him.

Reminds me of the economist's story (a very long time ago I did some formal study of economics as an undergraduate - that's different from marketing I know!):

There is a village with two general shops, one at either end. A customer saw that one was selling caulis at £0.89 each but (s)he walked down to the other end. The price there was £1.50 each and (s)he exclaimed to the shopkeeper that this was extortionate, "After all, they are selling them for 89p at the other shop" "Well," the shopkeeper replied, "feel free to go back and buy from them." Without understanding economics, the customer responded angrily, "I can't do that - they sold out yesterday and have none left!" The shopkeeper merely shrugged.

Also, setting a Reserve Price does not negate the Market Price as, after all, a contract has to involve a willing seller as well as a willing buyer and the market price cannot be lower than any seller will consider.

Of course, the situation we are discussing (price of boats) is only an approximation to larger markets (some of the market principles of economics depend on an infinite market but the approximation in finite markets is often overlooked even by those who should know better) as each boat is, generally, individual and it is only roughly possible to use the selling price for one boat to determine the market price for another. Hence how Estate Agents are able to make a living!

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Reminds me of the economist's story (a very long time ago I did some formal study of economics as an undergraduate - that's different from marketing I know!):

There is a village with two general shops, one at either end. A customer saw that one was selling caulis at £0.89 each but (s)he walked down to the other end. The price there was £1.50 each and (s)he exclaimed to the shopkeeper that this was extortionate, "After all, they are selling them for 89p at the other shop" "Well," the shopkeeper replied, "feel free to go back and buy from them." Without understanding economics, the customer responded angrily, "I can't do that - they sold out yesterday and have none left!" The shopkeeper merely shrugged.

Also, setting a Reserve Price does not negate the Market Price as, after all, a contract has to involve a willing seller as well as a willing buyer and the market price cannot be lower than any seller will consider.

Of course, the situation we are discussing (price of boats) is only an approximation to larger markets (some of the market principles of economics depend on an infinite market but the approximation in finite markets is often overlooked even by those who should know better) as each boat is, generally, individual and it is only roughly possible to use the selling price for one boat to determine the market price for another. Hence how Estate Agents are able to make a living!

....and on the basis of that (which is a good example of market forces), I would guess that for every 10-20 couples looking to buy their 57' dream boat, only one or two of them would go for a half finished boat. Price competiion therefore means the finished boat is going to generate 'higher' market prices. Brokers are crying out for clean 57' boats at the moment.

27 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Having never done any kind of degree in anything only that I have a PHD in living in the real world I can categoricaly state that whatever a boat or anything else sells for to a particular buyer at any given time is the precise market value of said item. If that buyer sells it ten minutes later to someone else then that's its true market value at that time and so it continues.