Insurance to weld on my hulll

man1nvan

Featured Posts

My hull needs a bit of welding doing.  Back in the last century i used to be a welder, but never time served and never qualified.  whilst i can easily do the welding on the boat, the yard (quite rightly) won't let me unless i have insurance.    Does anyone know where i may be able to get said insurance to cover me carrying out "hot works" in the yard?   

2 hours ago, Detling said:

maybe possible on towpath with genny/big inverter and engine running.

The marina really only want you to have third party damage to cover any mishaps you may cause.

A marina will want to see insurance as it should show require a level of competence so that you don't cause a mishap. Any decent marina will also want sight of your risk assessments and method statements that are specific for the work you intend carrying out. You might even be asked for sight of your qualifications.

Tim

22 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

A marina will want to see insurance as it should show require a level of competence so that you don't cause a mishap. Any decent marina will also want sight of your risk assessments and method statements that are specific for the work you intend carrying out. You might even be asked for sight of your qualifications.

Tim

Might I suggest not ALL yards are quite so professional. Pick one that doesn’t care about details like insurance. 

On 18/02/2018 at 18:34, Detling said:

maybe possible on towpath with genny/big inverter and engine running.

The marina really only want you to have third party damage to cover any mishaps you may cause.

That is the way everything above the waterline will get done :D

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:52, Tim Lewis said:

Tim

BWML T&Cs

6.       Work to Vessel

6.1 Minor running repairs or minor maintenance works of a routine nature, including but not limited to, light sanding, staining, minor painting etc. which does not cause noise, disturbance, disruption or pollution to the Marina or other Marina users may be carried out to your Vessel without BWML’s permission.  Extensive external sanding, angle grinding, welding, internal refit, spray-painting etc. are considered Major Works and cannot be carried out within the Marina unless with BWML’s prior written consent and in accordance with Clause 6.4.  Maintenance may be carried out daily between 09.00 and 18.00 hours. When carrying out work, all BWML facilities, bollards, pontoons, service points etc. must be suitably protected, kept clean and tidy at all times, and appropriate Health and Safety legislation adhered to.  BWML reserve the right to charge the Owner for the full cost of any remedial works required as a result of any damage caused to the Marina as a result of your work.

6.2  Prior written consent for work to be carried out at the Marina shall not, without good cause, be withheld where the work is to be carried out in strict accordance with the documents Working on Craft in Dry Docks and Working on Craft in Dry Storage (which are available upon request from BWML offices).

6.3.  The Owner must ensure that suitable risk assessments, method statements and a copy of the contractor’s third party liability insurance policy in the sum of £5,000,000 (five million pounds)  accompanies the request for consent referred to in Clause 6.1 above. The Owner must also ensure that contractors are only employed to carry out such repairs that they are qualified to undertake and that the contractors have the appropriate and requisite accreditations. For the avoidance of doubt, BWML reserves the right to refuse its prior written permission for the work once it has had an opportunity to consider the risk assessments and method statements of the contractor.

6.4.  The Owner will only be permitted to undertake works on their Vessel for which they have deemed competencies in being experienced in the carrying out of the required operation or the use of any power tools, such as welders, grinders or hot cutting equipment that would require professional certification. Operations that require the use of such equipment should be advised to the manager or supervisor for that Marina prior to commencement and be accompanied with a method statement and risk assessment for this task. Where this is the case then this must be carried out in accordance with a Permit-to-Work (Hot Work Permit), copies of which can be found at the Marina office. For the avoidance of doubt, BWML reserves the right to prevent any person from operating such equipment in the Marina if appropriate certification or records of competency cannot be produced when requested by any member of BWML staff.