Recommended combo calorifier/engine handyman LONDON area?

Lady_Why

Featured Posts

My calorifier started leaking a year ago. On top of it I can't start my engine. I had a 'recommended handyman' at the time, but he vanished from our email exchange when I wanted a ball park quote (I really just wanted a rough idea at least for the calorifier). To make a long story short, I ended up leaving it as my studies were so intense (I moved nowhere and I've been using the mooring tap since). 

So, I am on the look out for a good & decent priced handyman who can do both, if anyone knows one? 

Alternatively: is it easy to replace a calorifier? As in, can I simply unplug from all pipes, lift it out, and then insert the new one? 

All help is greatly appreciated! My student economy is tight, so I need someone reliable.

4 minutes ago, Lady_Why said:

My calorifier started leaking a year ago. On top of it I can't start my engine. I had a 'recommended handyman' at the time, but he vanished from our email exchange when I wanted a ball park quote (I really just wanted a rough idea at least for the calorifier). To make a long story short, I ended up leaving it as my studies were so intense (I moved nowhere and I've been using the mooring tap since). 

So, I am on the look out for a good & decent priced handyman who can do both, if anyone knows one? 

Alternatively: is it easy to replace a calorifier? As in, can I simply unplug from all pipes, lift it out, and then insert the new one? 

All help is greatly appreciated! My student economy is tight, so I need someone reliable.

It would help if you said what area you are in.

Edited by Flyboy

6 minutes ago, Lady_Why said:

Its not a difficult job if the new calorifier has the same fittings in the same location as your existing one,and are easliy accessible and the same size. If you have an immersion, that would obviously require fitting and wiring. The old calorifier would also require draining unless the leak has already achieved this,usually requires pumping out

It is possible, if you can locate the leak to have it repaired.

The London boaters facebook website may be able to recommend a handyman, as you would still need the engine fixing.

Good luck

Flyboy - I put London in the heading, but if it needs to be more specific then Central London, Kings cross. :-)

rusty69 - I have been told that it is a bad idea to attempt repairs as the water pressure will be too strong within the calorifier. The old one is a twin-coil so I suspect wiring is required (which I'm not good at). I emptied out all water through the taps, but done no other draining. Thank you btw for trying to help me out. :-)

12 minutes ago, Lady_Why said:

The old one is a twin-coil so I suspect wiring is required (which I'm not good at)

Both the coils will have been heated by water so the only wiring will be to the immersion heater. One coil will be fed by the cooling water from the engine and the other from the stove, gas or diesel boiler.

The taps will not have drained the calorifier.  Hot water comes out when cold water goes in.  Unless there is a drain cock which you could use, maybe on the cold feed, you would have to break into the pipework to drain or syphon or pump out after removing the immersion.

Edited by philjw
More to say