Cardboard Boats

mark99

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think that a small number of dedicated anorak-wearers did build track which was the right gauge for 00 models - was it called EM Gauge?

EM gauge is the same 4mm to the foot scale, but with track gauge increased from 16.5mm to 18mm. (EM stands for "eighteen milliimetre"

That does make the track look more correct, but still only represents a gauge of 4' 6", still not enough for 4' 8.5"

As Ray says, things like Proto4 are needed for it to be a truly accurate representation of the gauge.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

EM gauge is the same 4mm to the foot scale, but with track gauge increased from 16.5mm to 18mm. 

That does make the track look more correct, but still only represents a gauge of 4' 6", still not enough for 4' 8.5"

Yes, that's what I meant.

Intriguing, though, that those sticklers for accuracy STILL didn't get it quite right.

The explanation I've seen for the phenomenon of 00, is that when h0 was introduced, it worked fine for Continental prototypes, but its scale of 3.5mm to the foot meant that the smaller British prototype locomotives would be too small to accommodate the mass-produced miniature electric motors that were avilable at the time.Increasing the scale to 4mm meant that the motors would fit, but keeping the gauge at"half 0" made the locos and rolling stock look too big for the track - stimulating the sticklers for accuracy to embark on the quest for "fine scale", when todays wide range of tiny electric motors(mostly made in China), became available.

Now retaining information like that is real anorakism !

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:38, Athy said:

Yes, that's what I meant.

Intriguing, though, that those sticklers for accuracy STILL didn't get it quite right.

Surely 18.83mm is the correct width? This spurned the P4 society some years ago. Personally 16.5mm keeps me happy.