Cardboard Boats

mark99

Featured Posts

Almost certainly from the "Scale Scenes" series of card kits. Very good if made correctly and may have been originally designed by Alex Prowse?". Far superior to the "Craft line" balsa models of the time but supassed then onlly by the High Line Yachting / Pendon museum model of a large Northwich in white metal.

Today Langley models do a set but the artwork supplied isnt good and not well researched. Big hole here still in the railway modelling market for good accurate models.

I don't think they are Scale Scenes kits.  They certainly look like the ones of President and Northwich that I have made in the past although I can't remember the manufacturer (it may turn out to be Scale Scenes after all).  I'll try to dig them out as I certainly have the packaging in a box of bits and I remember seeing it not too long ago.

Almost certainly from the kits produced by Garth Allen who had his boat based at Dapdune Wharf in Guildford.  A long time ago he gave me the only ones he had left after selling his stock to a toy shop owner in Wales where apparently they were destroyed during a marital argument.

Edited by canalboat

Garth Allen does ring a bell.

Have just popped into the garage and dug out my finished ones of President and Northwich plus a 'work in progress' which I think was meant to turn out to be Redshank or Greenshank whichever the motor is (the butty as-yet un-started).

5a8950016c8f1_2018-02-1809_56_26.jpg.e28a9e831bafeb8810c4d577ac812575.jpg

18 hours ago, mark99 said:

These were for sale in a Cafe/junk shop in Guildford.

Bad photo. Think they are mid 1980 models. £4 each iirc.

image.png.96a861b7063318296c082e9cc0572835.png

Do you mean they are for sale as seen in the photo or do they still have the kits? I would certainly buy them. Can you recall where the cafe is?

23 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Do you mean they are for sale as seen in the photo or do they still have the kits? I would certainly buy them. Can you recall where the cafe is?

They are made up as seen. There are some other crude balsa models for sale too. Location here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2367251,-0.5705641,3a,90y,227.24h,80.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEsxlCqoB6LbqWuGYw6dwUQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?dcr=0

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

Almost certainly from the kits produced by Garth Allen who had his boat based at Dapdune Wharf in Guildford.  A long time ago he gave me the only ones he had left after selling his stock to a toy shop owner in Wales where apparently they were destroyed during a marital argument.

I totally agree, it is Garth Allan not Alex Prowse, CWS (wholesalers) had some remaining card stock some years ago.

The really detailed white metal motor narrow boat kit (refered to earlier) was marketed through "Marlow Models" and was approved by Pendon. An example of the range is this windmill :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-ENGLISH-SERIES-MARLOW-MODELS-LACEY-GREEN-WINDMILL-WOODEN-MODEL-KIT/263406851305?hash=item3d544594e9:g:PxcAAOSwrFtZ80nx

I still have the remaining boxes, decals and instructions to the"Large Northwich" motor kit but alas only two sets of white metal castings. The location of the master moulds is still a mystery!

Edited by Laurence Hogg
add info

12 hours ago, canalboat said:

Interesting! My Dad picked up a lovely cardboard model kit of a wooden motor narrow boat at (I think) the Lymm National Rally in 1973. He photocopied it at work and I made up a few models, but never kept a clean original.  Some years later I was chatting to Garth on his stand at a rally, and we both recalled the same models, but neither of us could recall who had produced them.

So it looks like Garth decided to create his own.

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

Interesting! My Dad picked up a lovely cardboard model kit of a wooden motor narrow boat at (I think) the Lymm National Rally in 1973. He photocopied it at work and I made up a few models, but never kept a clean original.  Some years later I was chatting to Garth on his stand at a rally, and we both recalled the same models, but neither of us could recall who had produced them.

So it looks like Garth decided to create his own.

That model was almost certainly a model of Samuel Barlows "Ian" which was pre coloured and could produce a very fine model. I still have some unmade versions and it was latterly marketed by the late Lockmaster Crafts" (Doug Smith), they occasionally turn up on ebay. However it seems they are still available from CWS:

http://www.centralwaterways.co.uk/motor-boat-ian-kit-cardboard.html

On 18/02/2018 at 11:49, mark99 said:

If anyone buys those models, there is some info on the baseplate once you turn it upside down.

Health and Safety Warning

Do not try this with the full size model. 

(There's probably no information on the baseplate by now anyway)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Laurence Hogg said:

That model was almost certainly a model of Samuel Barlows "Ian" which was pre coloured and could produce a very fine model. I still have some unmade versions and it was latterly marketed by the late Lockmaster Crafts" (Doug Smith), they occasionally turn up on ebay. However it seems they are still available from CWS:

http://www.centralwaterways.co.uk/motor-boat-ian-kit-cardboard.html

No definitely not that one. This one was drawn in black and white and was the whole boat - hull, cabin, cratch, mast, stands, top planks etc., whereas the "Ian" kit  only shows the bits above the water line.

22 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Was it on pinkish/flesh coloured card and OO scale?  I had one which I was too young and inexpert to ever finish.  The name Neville New rings a bell.

Paul

I don't remember pinkish card - but I had one original and several photocopies on white paper. OO scale is 4mm to the foot? That would make the model 280mm long and 28mm beam which sounds about right.

Edited by David Mack

48 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Was it on pinkish/flesh coloured card and OO scale?  I had one which I was too young and inexpert to ever finish.  The name Neville New rings a bell.

Paul

I have one of Neville News' as you describe - I believe he was a director of Hostelcraft ( ie horse drawn Pamela) and a member of the Newcomen society in the 1960s

47 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

OO scale is indeed 4mm to the foot.

I love mixed units!

:offtopic:

Of course that means a model of 4' 8.5" gauged track should have the rails about 18.83mm apart, whereas OO actaully uses gauge of just 16.5mm, which scales up to only 4' 3".  That's why OO gauge models always look like they are too big in relation to the track used.

I'll take the Anorak off now.

You are correct. Though both scales - OO & HO run on 4mm to the foot gauge track, though sleeper spacing is different, and that can also vary with manufacturer. OO scale, 1:76 results in locos and rolling stock being oversized for the track, whereas HO scale at 1:87, results in correct dimensions relative to the 16.5mm track gauge - smaller rolling stock. Strange the UK stuck to 1:67 scale, when most of the world went HO scale.

Now who's wearing the anorak? :huh:

Edited by Derek R.

On 19/02/2018 at 22:03, alan_fincher said:

I love mixed units!

:offtopic:

Of course that means a model of 4' 8.5" gauged track should have the rails about 18.83mm apart, whereas OO actaully uses gauge of just 16.5mm, which scales up to only 4' 3".  That's why OO gauge models always look like they are too big in relation to the track used.

I'll take the Anorak off now.

Yes, it is odd (the scale, not your anorak) - especially as HO means "Half 0" and it would have been logical for Trix, Graham Farish and the other early U.K. model railway manufacturers to use that scale. The only reason I can think of for the adoption of "00" scale is that real British trains tended to be smaller than continental ones, so the slightly different scale meant that they would look "right" when seen side by side.

I think that a small number of dedicated anorak-wearers did build track which was the right gauge for 00 models - was it called EM Gauge?

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think that a small number of dedicated anorak-wearers did build track which was the right gauge for 00 models - was it called EM Gauge?

Yes, and / or Scalefour and P4

The Scalefour Society caters for the needs of railway modellers working to the scale of 4mm/ft (1:76.2), the most popular of the British model railway scales. It promotes and encourages the use of effective modelling techniques and fine scale standards among all 4mm railway modellers with a particular emphasis on the use of scale wheels and track.

https://www.scalefour.org/

http://p4layouts.org.uk/

http://www.emgs.org/

EM means Eighteen Millimetres – the original finescale track gauge adopted by 4mm scale modellers in the mid-1950s (now 18.2mm).

Edited by Ray T