Alde bubble gas leak detector

Chris J

Featured Posts

Just bought the titles sake, and fitting whilst replacing my gas hoses. Open up the box and sachet of propylene glycol has leaked everywhere. 

Question is, is there any harm in fitting it and using it without any liquid in the bubble chamber. I can't imagine there is but was hoping for confirmation from someone much wiser than I. 

Thanks in advance friends.

15 minutes ago, Chris J said:

Just bought the titles sake, and fitting whilst replacing my gas hoses. Open up the box and sachet of propylene glycol has leaked everywhere. 

Question is, is there any harm in fitting it and using it without any liquid in the bubble chamber. I can't imagine there is but was hoping for confirmation from someone much wiser than I. 

It will be fine to use with no juice in it. 

It won't indicate any downstream gas leaks though when you press the button!

Can you install using Flexible orange 8mm hose? Or does it have to be solid? There seems to be nozzles for hose in the box but I can't figure out how to attach them to the in and outlets. 

Ubfortunatley the instructions are eligible after the leak!

15 minutes ago, Chris J said:

Can you install using Flexible orange 8mm hose? Or does it have to be solid? There seems to be nozzles for hose in the box but I can't figure out how to attach them to the in and outlets. 

I did mine in solid, though I seem to recall seeing them piped in flexible. Others will know better than I.  I had to buy adaptors to go from 3/8 pipe to the metric fitting. Midland Chandlers supplied these.

2 hours ago, Chris J said:

7.9.1 of the Guide states “Are all low pressure LPG hoses used to connect regulators or appliances to LPG supply pipework only, and are they a maximum of 1m in length?”

From reading that it suggests to me that you can go from the regulator to the bubble tester in hose “marked to BSEN16436 Class2; BSEN16436 Class3; BS 3212 type 2; or equivalent.” and thereafter in solid. 

15 hours ago, Chris J said:

why would you want to?  IMHO the tester should be securely fixed, it shouldn't be in the middle of a floating flex pipe.

• Greenie 1

Not sure I would want flexibles anywhere but at the reg. TBH. I suppose it depends on the existing setup, but it was easiest to use solid in my case. That said I agree you can secure the tester with or without flexibles. Whether they are actually allowed, I am not qualified to say, but I am sure I have seen it done in the past.

On 18/02/2018 at 10:57, catweasel said:

Not sure I would want flexibles anywhere but at the reg. TBH. I suppose it depends on the existing setup, but it was easiest to use solid in my case. That said I agree you can secure the tester with or without flexibles. Whether they are actually allowed, I am not qualified to say, but I am sure I have seen it done in the past.

My plan was to install the bubble tester inside the gas locker in the bow. The system basically being.

2x 13kg gas tanks

2x Regulator into manual changeover switch (8.3mm LPG High Pressure Gas Hose)

Outlet of switch--> bubble tester (8.3mm LPG High Pressure Gas Hose)

Bubble tester out to 1/4in Nozzle to 8mm (this is the exit of the gas locker where it becomes copper and runs through the boat to the galley) 

On 17/02/2018 at 17:21, Chris J said:

Can you install using Flexible orange 8mm hose? Or does it have to be solid?

In order to answer this, first you have to decide which set(s) of regulations you want the installation to comply with. 

Virtually all boats have to comply with BSS (the least stringent regs), but you may wish/need to comply with RCD and/or GSIUR too, depending on circumstances.

Well lets say all of them. I have BSS coming up this year and I decided I would change the gas hose in the gas locker (it was 10 years old) and try and add a bubble tester. Its just not going so well! I know I have the correct hose. I assumed using jubilee hose clips (https://gasproducts.co.uk/jubilee-hose-clip-000.html) would be fine. Im even doubting that now!

7 minutes ago, Chris J said:

Well lets say all of them. I have BSS coming up this year and I decided I would change the gas hose in the gas locker (it was 10 years old) and try and add a bubble tester. Its just not going so well! I know I have the correct hose. I assumed using jubilee hose clips (https://gasproducts.co.uk/jubilee-hose-clip-000.html) would be fine. Im even doubting that now!

If fitting a bubble tester it MUST be fitted inside the gas locker (Mandatory BSS section 7:12:1)

You can use 'jubilee worm drive clips' as long as they meet certain criteria (Mandatory BSS section 7:9:5)

Gas hose must be marked "BS EN 16436 Class 2; BS EN 16436 Class 3; BS3212 type 2; or equivalent". (Mandatory BSS section 7:9:1)

I'm reasonably sure worm drive clips are not permitted under RCD, but CBA to trawl through 90 pages looking for the reference!

And similarly for flexible hose, except for final connections to gas bottles and mobile appliances. 

All fixed pipework must be rigid pipe not flexi, IIRC. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm reasonably sure worm drive clips are not permitted under RCD, but CBA to trawl through 90 pages looking for the reference!

And similarly for flexible hose, except for final connections to gas bottles and mobile appliances. 

All fixed pipework must be rigid pipe not flexi, IIRC. 

The boat passed its last BSS And so far the changes are like for like hose replacement, but the hose fastening is with worm drive jubilee rather than crimped.  

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Totally 'flexible hose' systems are allowed in both the RCD and BSS (my French built Cat is 'flexible' throughout).

The BSS states "‘All hose’ systems must fully comply with ISO 10239"

However - you are correct, hose clips are not allowed & hoses must have permanently attached end fittings, such as swaged sleeve or
sleeve and threaded insert.

BSS section  7:9:6

NOTE – ‘all‐hose’ systems are those not using rigid pipework and will generally be found on imported boats,
CE marked to the RCD, where the builder has chosen to apply ISO 10239.

Just now, Chris J said:

The boat passed its last BSS And so far the changes are like for like hose replacement, but the hose fastening is with worm drive jubilee rather than crimped.  

I don't get the relevance of this. You just said you also wanted it to comply with RCD and GSIUR. A BSS inspection does not check for RCD or GSIUR, only BSS. 

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But in post #13 you said you wanted to comply with the RCD as well as the BSS

I meant to also add into the above its compliance with RCD as well it passing it's BSS. 

I think I've established that for it to pass again I need to replace the jubilee clips with hose clips that are permenantly crimped. 

For the record it is not a fully flexible hose gas install throughout the boat. Only inside the gas locker. Everything outside of the gas locker is copper. 

Its all a tad confusing but I think I've got the answer. 

Cheers for the help folks.

3 minutes ago, Chris J said:

For the record it is not a fully flexible hose gas install throughout the boat. Only inside the gas locker.

My comment was in answer to MtB's post suggesting that flexible hose was not allowed, and pointing out that it was allowed in the RCD under ISO 10329 "Small craft -- Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) systems"

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My comment was in answer to MtB's post suggesting that flexible hose was not allowed, and pointing out that it was allowed in the RCD under ISO 10329 "Small craft -- Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) systems"

Appreciated. It was meant more as a reply to all rather than specified to you mate. Thanks again. 

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:52, Chris J said:

Sure, you can use it without any liquid in the chamber, but you're unlikely to see any bubbles if there's a leak! :lol: