Aster and Salvo at Sutton Stop

archie57

Featured Posts

Archie, well spotted.

There is a Sally Army badge on the outside boat and the inside boat has a + on the side of the cabin.

Salvo.jpg

The cottage was originally Sephton's Yard. The cottage is still there although it has been altered somewhat.

Edited by Ray T

14 minutes ago, colinwilks said:

Interesting to see how different the junction was back then. The bungalow on the left would have had an excellent view of everybody going round.

I am intrigued how you know the boats are Aster and Salvo?

I assume it is because the OP recognised the Salvation Army shield paints-ed on the side of Aster

Edit:- Ray beat me to it!

Edited by David Schweizer

Even more intrigued about where Ray got his photo. The eBay link only showed me these two, on which I struggle to see anything Sally Army like.

I see now what I took as a bungalow was in fact the corner of a commercial building.

Going off at a tangent, Joe and Rose Skinner's boat Friendship is quoted by Joe as being built by "Sephton's at Hawkesbury Stop" in the audio at Ellesmere Port. Until I heard that I had always assumed that "Hawkesbury Junction" was how people generally referred to the junction and "Sutton's Stop" was how the working boat people referred to it. Mr Sutton being the official who dished out the jobs and the "stop" being the stop lock. 

"Sutton's Junction", anyone?

s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

5 hours ago, colinwilks said:

Even more intrigued about where Ray got his photo. The eBay link only showed me these two, on which I struggle to see anything Sally Army like.

I see now what I took as a bungalow was in fact the corner of a commercial building.

Going off at a tangent, Joe and Rose Skinner's boat Friendship is quoted by Joe as being built by "Sephton's at Hawkesbury Stop" in the audio at Ellesmere Port. Until I heard that I had always assumed that "Hawkesbury Junction" was how people generally referred to the junction and "Sutton's Stop" was how the working boat people referred to it. Mr Sutton being the official who dished out the jobs and the "stop" being the stop lock. 

"Sutton's Junction", anyone?

Probably over complicating things there.

Hawkesbury Junction, Hawkesbury Stop, Sutton's Stop, Sutton Stop. All the same place really. Mr Sutton was apparently the lock keeper. In latter years there was a traffic officer at Hawkesbury but that's a different thing.

The road leading down to the canal is officially known as Sutton Stop these days and that's the name the place is generally referred to by local folk. The difference between Sutton's Stop and Sutton Stop phonetically isn't worth worrying about.

JP

12 hours ago, Derek R. said:

And I believe the traffic managers name was Mr. Vegus.

Mr. Veater and I believe his secretary was Miss Edwards.

His little office at Sutton's and himself at Bull's Bridge.

Mr Veaters Office Sutton Stop.JPG

Mr Veater @ Bulls Br.jpg

Edited by Ray T
Edit for clarity of locations.

Veater - that was it! Close though. And Miss Edwards, though I thought they were at Sutton's. Is that really Bulls Bridge office? I have an image of him in my mind from a video of being more 'portly'. Maybe shot later in life. (And no, I don't mean literally).

12 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Veater - that was it! Close though. And Miss Edwards, though I thought they were at Sutton's. Is that really Bulls Bridge office? I have an image of him in my mind from a video of being more 'portly'. Maybe shot later in life. (And no, I don't mean literally).

Dereck, there are a couple of much later pictures of Mr Veater at Sutton's in the Longdon / Rolt "A Canal People" on pages 52 & 53.