Boat left adrift/abandoned? Hyde Lock, Kinver.

jonesthenuke

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, NigelMoore said:

the same company was hit with a £20 million fine for polluting the Thames with sewerage.

That must have been an awful lot of pipes chucked into the river!

Or did you mean 'sewage'? 'Sewerage' is the infrastructure of pipes, manholes etc that lies under the streets, and 'sewage' is the stuff that flows through it.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

That must have been an awful lot of pipes chucked into the river!

Or did you mean 'sewage'? 'Sewerage' is the infrastructure of pipes, manholes etc that lies under the streets, and 'sewage' is the stuff that flows through it.

How many pedants does it take to change a light bulb?

It's replace, actually.

:giggles:

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

I am pleased to say some action has been taken (I assume by CRT as I did not see it happen).

The boat has been moved 100 yards further away from the lock, moored and the engine compartment has been mostly emptied.

Thanks for all the concern and comments. 

A slippery slope for CRT. Will we be expecting them to bail it out again in a month? 

And again, and again? 

And blaming CRT instead of the owner if they eventually miss a bail-out and it sinks?

Let's not overlook who is primarily responsible here - the boat owner.

And now multiply this by every boat the 'looks a bit low in the water'. 100 perhaps? How much extra work is this going to be to be paid for out of licence fees?

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And now multiply this by every boat the 'looks a bit low in the water'. 100 perhaps? How much extra work is this going to be to be paid for out of licence fees?

Considerably less than cleaning the oil and diesel out of a stretch of canal and recovering a sunk boat at a guess.

We seem to be assuming that it was CRT that moved it and not the owner or someone the owner asked to do it.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Considerably less than cleaning the oil and diesel out of a stretch of canal and recovering a sunk boat at a guess.

We seem to be assuming that it was CRT that moved it and not the owner or someone the owner asked to do it.

Both good points. 

Let's hope that when if/when CRT bail out a sinking bot they at least bill the owner for the call-out. That should result in a few less of them.

1 hour ago, jonesthenuke said:

I am pleased to say some action has been taken (I assume by CRT as I did not see it happen).

The boat has been moved 100 yards further away from the lock, moored and the engine compartment has been mostly emptied.

Thanks for all the concern and comments. 

Well done! glad your time and effort to resolve this issue wasnt wasted :)

Rick

CRT are in a no-win situation here...

Their current method seems to be "Do nothing until a boat sinks and causes pollution" then they take action
this method leaves them open to criticism for not taking action to prevent it happening.

If they take action and pump out the boat (without charging) then this can be seen as established procedure in the future.... if in the future another boat sinks due to similar circumstances will that boat owner take legal action against CRT for not pumping out their boat.

If they take action and pump out the boat (charging the owner if known) then it leaves them open to argument about whether or not the boat would have sunk before the owner took action, at worst it will come down to the opinion of a CRT employee (picture coming back to your boat to find a note of "We pumped out 1 inch of water from your bilge because we thought your boat was in danger of sinking, please pay £100 within 28 days")

Edited by Jess--
  • Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

CRT are in a no-win situation here...

Their current method seems to be "Do nothing until a boat sinks and causes pollution" then they take action
this method leaves them open to criticism for not taking action to prevent it happening.

If they take action and pump out the boat (without charging) then this can be seen as established procedure in the future.... if in the future another boat sinks due to similar circumstances will that boat owner take legal action against CRT for not pumping out their boat.

If they take action and pump out the boat (charging the owner if known) then it leaves them open to argument about whether or not the boat would have sunk before the owner took action, at worst it will come down to the opinion of a CRT employee (picture coming back to your boat to find a note of "We pumped out 1 inch of water from your bilge because we thought your boat was sinking, please pay £100 within 28 days")

You have articulated the point I was trying to make far better than I was managing. Greenie!

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On balance though, I bet they managed to contact the owner and read them the riot act.

It now appears that you may be right and my assumption about CRT taking action was wrong.

I have just been talking to a man from CRT who turned up to fill a small hole in the bank alongside the boat. This hole was spotted when "his boss" came to look at the boat this morning. By that time the boat had been moved and pumped out (not by CRT so presumably by the owner). I guess they pumped it into the canal as there is a thin film of oil around the boat. As the boat had moved by around 8:30 this morning, the owners came early or in the dark.

The inspection by CRT was undertaken today as CRT are concerned that "it's all over Facebook". I suspect this actually is referring to this thread, unless someone has seen anything on Facebook too? Now tempted to post on the Kinver Past and Present Facebook page to see if anyone knows the owner.

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A slippery slope for CRT. Will we be expecting them to bail it out again in a month? 

And again, and again? 

And blaming CRT instead of the owner if they eventually miss a bail-out and it sinks?

Let's not overlook who is primarily responsible here - the boat owner.

Although 'salvage' does not seem to apply to canals, but from a completely different angle could someone take the boat (anybody) and claim it as 'lost' property, or like squatters (although recently made now illegal I think), occupy it until the owner turns up to evict them.  Or literally steal the boat - would anyone know ? 

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Way it was sitting I wonder if a water pipe had froze and burst and emptied the tank into the boat, maybe no engine bulkhead.

Good point but I do not think so, there appears to be a bulkhead.

I suspect the stern tube needs greasing, the greaser is screwed fully in a thus appears to be empty. 

3 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Although 'salvage' does not seem to apply to canals, but from a completely different angle could someone take the boat (anybody) and claim it as 'lost' property, or like squatters (although recently made now illegal I think), occupy it until the owner turns up to evict them.  Or literally steal the boat - would anyone know ? 

Anyone can do anything if they so desired, but legally I think you already know that the answer is a clear "no". A boat is obviously someone's property, and remains so (and their responsibilities surrounding it). 

Text of latest email to CRT mooring officer. FYI:-

One of your CRT people told me today that CRT did not move or pump out the boat. It seems the oily bilge water was pumped into the canal, though most of the oil seems to have stayed in the bilge. Presumably this was done by the owners of the boat so I guess CRT have been in touch with them.

Given the boat looks a bit of a wreck and the engine is now probably trashed by being full of water, I rather suspect owners may allow the boat to continue to deteriorate and eventually sink.

I realise you cannot tell me any details but I hope your licencing team will take action to prevent this.

2 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

Text of latest email to CRT mooring officer. FYI:-

One of your CRT people told me today that CRT did not move or pump out the boat. It seems the oily bilge water was pumped into the canal, though most of the oil seems to have stayed in the bilge. Presumably this was done by the owners of the boat so I guess CRT have been in touch with them.

Given the boat looks a bit of a wreck and the engine is now probably trashed by being full of water, I rather suspect owners may allow the boat to continue to deteriorate and eventually sink.

I realise you cannot tell me any details but I hope your licencing team will take action to prevent this.

So did some kind sole pump it out for the owner like was suggested in early posts. 

I got a reply from Richard Parry regarding this potential sinking. He got on to the local team (Ian Darby) who have been aware of the situation and have managed to contact the owner. The owner came and pumped it out. The local team is keeping an eye on the boat to see if it starts sinking again.  I have been copied the email that Ian Darby of CRT sent to Richard Parry with an update of the situation.

Perhaps the owner will now licence the boat or sell it now he/she has been located.