Boat left adrift/abandoned? Hyde Lock, Kinver.

jonesthenuke

Featured Posts

Mooring officer came round today. I am told she is new to this area.  Another boater who moors further down the canal discussed the abandoned boat. The mooring office apparently had no understanding of the possible pollution problems if the boat sinks. The only response from this representative of CRT was essentially "Its the owners problem".

Here is a picture down the engine hole. The water is now up to the top of the gearbox.

Not sure how to resize the image, scroll down to see the oil/water level.

5a8b1ae67bcca_Boatengine.jpg.a31433a8638ad45f8c8819d2dc482fe9.jpg

14 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

........ The mooring office apparently had no understanding of the possible pollution problems if the boat sinks. The only response from this representative of CRT was essentially "Its the owners problem".

The only response from this representative of CRT was essentially "Its the owners problem".

A somewhat irresponsible attitude. Regretfully it is everybody's problem if that amount of oil spills into the canal..... except her's...

....so that's alright then! 

8 minutes ago, Richard T said:

I've just alerted CRT about a boat which is on an end of garden mooring and in danger of sinking. I wonder what response I'll get.

Depends. Is the owner of the boat resident at that location, that should make it simple enough for CRT to trace ?

11 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Depends. Is the owner of the boat resident at that location, that should make it simple enough for CRT to trace ?

As you have local knowledge of this boat, can I suggest you contact Richard Parry directly and explain that CRT don't seem interested in averting an imminent pollution disaster. I'm sure he will kick some backsides into action. Please forward him your pictures. I've found that he will respond well if he knows what's going on. I can't see much of a problem for CRT to send someone to the location with a pump assuming it's not far from a bridge.  It looks to me that it is rainwater so pumping out would probably keep it afloat for quite some time. If you like, you can pm me with the location and I will contact Richard Parry.

richard.parry@canalrivertrust.org

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

As you have local knowledge of this boat, can I suggest you contact Richard Parry directly and explain that CRT don't seem interested in averting an imminent pollution disaster. I'm sure he will kick some backsides into action. Please forward him your pictures. I've found that he will respond well if he knows what's going on. I can't see much of a problem for CRT to send someone to the location with a pump assuming it's not far from a bridge.  It looks to me that it is rainwater so pumping out would probably keep it afloat for quite some time. If you like, you can pm me with the location and I will contact Richard Parry.

richard.parry@canalrivertrust.org

Sounds like a good plan, but I will leave it till the end of the week to give them a chance to respond to my input. Whilst the boat has been there some time, I only reported it last Friday. Last night I emailed the West Midlands office with a copy of the engine compartment photo, so will wait to see if action is taken.

People who live locally have now told me that the boat has been moored in this pound "for months". In this extended time CRT seem to have taken no effective action with a boat that is apparently unregistered and unlicensed.

If this ends in tears, then copying this whole thread to Richard Parry seems like a good approach?

12 hours ago, Richard T said:

I've just alerted CRT about a boat which is on an end of garden mooring and in danger of sinking. I wonder what response I'll get.

I tried to go round to their house but its a gated community with key code access only. 

The waterline is about 1cm off the exhaust outlet

48 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

Sounds like a good plan, but I will leave it till the end of the week to give them a chance to respond to my input. Whilst the boat has been there some time, I only reported it last Friday. Last night I emailed the West Midlands office with a copy of the engine compartment photo, so will wait to see if action is taken.

People who live locally have now told me that the boat has been moored in this pound "for months". In this extended time CRT seem to have taken no effective action with a boat that is apparently unregistered and unlicensed.

If this ends in tears, then copying this whole thread to Richard Parry seems like a good approach?

Thanks for that, but I still think the direct approach to Richard Parry will bring results. I just hope it doesn't sink in the next week. I know you are doing your best but would it be possible for you to bucket some water out into the empty black drums to lower the level then put the drums in the front well deck.?  If there was anyone in the locality with a self pump out kit they could get it out easily.

Corrected Email address for Richard Parry ( I missed off the uk )    richard.parry@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Edited by Flyboy

7 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Thanks for that, but I still think the direct approach to Richard Parry will bring results. I just hope it doesn't sink in the next week. I know you are doing your best but would it be possible for you to bucket some water out into the empty black drums to lower the level then put the drums in the front well deck.?  If there was anyone in the locality with a self pump out kit they could get it out easily.

Corrected Email address for Richard Parry ( I missed off the uk )    richard.parry@canalrivertrust.org.uk

While it is commendable to suggest what can be done to help this boat, there is a bit of me which is saying why? The owner obviously doesn't care much about fellow boaters or C &RT when they don't licence their boat and leave it tied up on a lock landing. OK stopping it sinking will prevent polluting the canal and that is perhaps the only reason I would do anything to help. 

haggis

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

While it is commendable to suggest what can be done to help this boat, there is a bit of me which is saying why? The owner obviously doesn't care much about fellow boaters or C &RT when they don't licence their boat and leave it tied up on a lock landing. OK stopping it sinking will prevent polluting the canal and that is perhaps the only reason I would do anything to help. 

haggis

My feeling is that the protection of the aquatic environment is what is important here. CRT can do what they want, when and how they want, but if it were me there now, it would be a question of how to pump out the engine bay to avoid a nasty pollution event on our canals.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

I fully agree with you, I just don't want to see a load or diesel and oil polluting the canal. My suggestion was only to try and stop it sinking. If I was nearer I would have go at getting some of the water out.

16 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I fully agree with you, I just don't want to see a load or diesel and oil polluting the canal. My suggestion was only to try and stop it sinking. If I was nearer I would have go at getting some of the water out.

Agree completely the possible pollution of the canal is the immediate issue ... on the other side of the coin though the owner could have genuinely fell on hard times or suffered ill health or a bereavement, especially as they dont appear to have visited the boat for some considerable time so i personally would refrain from making judgements without being fully aware of the facts.

Rick

On 16/02/2018 at 22:54, TheBiscuits said:

Although what can they do in these circumstances?  They do have powers to remove the boat, but need to give 28 days notice as I understand it.  

From my reading of Nigel's waterways law courses, this is exactly what Section 8 powers were supposed to be used for - get it out of the water PDQ and then charge the owner for it later.  

Section 8 does not really cover this situation [except insofar as they ought to have dealt with an apparently abandoned boat long since, from what has been said]. 28 days from the present parlous state could be too long.

So far as CaRT is concerned, a course of action could be to employ the safety provisions of the 1983 Act, section 7. If an officer of the Board has reason to believe that a boat presents a possibly urgent danger to property, he may immediately inspect it without notice, and if that reveals imminent danger, may serve a notice under s.3. That, of course, does not address the potential pollution problem if no owner comes forward timeously, but s5 states: “Where a notice given under subsection (3) of this section is in force, the Board may at any time move the vessel or take such other steps as may be necessary to remove or abate any source of danger on board or arising from the vessel.”

So far as they or any member of the public is concerned, there is the Water Resources Act 1991, and guidelines issued by The EA advise on contacting them in events such as this -

Environment Agency Pollution Prevention Guidelines for marinas and craft (PPG14)

The Environment Agency is responsible for the protection of "controlled waters" from pollution under the Water Resources Act 1991 and it is an offence under the Act to cause pollution, either deliberately or accidently. "Controlled waters" include all watercourses and canals, estuaries and coastal waters out to three miles. Diesel, oil and petroleum spirit, sewage and contaminated bilge water can all cause pollution if discharged into controlled waters.

. . .

The most frequently reported type of water pollution incident involves fuels and oils. By following the guidance in this section you can minimise the risk of your boat or marina being a cause of such pollution. If a spill should occur in freshwaters contact the Environment Agency Emergency Hotline (0800 80 70 60).

I suspect imminent danger of such an occurrence would qualify for their attention.

20 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Agree completely the possible pollution of the canal is the immediate issue ... on the other side of the coin though the owner could have genuinely fell on hard times or suffered ill health or a bereavement, especially as they dont appear to have visited the boat for some considerable time so i personally would refrain from making judgements without being fully aware of the facts.

Rick

While I agree that it is possible the owner has been ill and unable to visit his boat, I came to  the conclusion (perhaps incorrectly) that the licence is well out of date (I base this on post 22) and from post 38 I draw the conclusion that the boat has moved within the pound in the last few months. 

I agree though that it is best to avoid polluting the canal if it is possible and I commend the OP for drawing the boat to C & RTs attention

haggis

Edited by haggis
Spelling mistook :-)

1 minute ago, haggis said:

While I agree that it is possible the owner has been ill and unable to visit his boat, I came to  the conclusion (perhaps incorrectly) that the licence is well out of date (I base this on post 22) and from post 38 I draw the conclusion that the boat has moved within the pound in the last few months. 

I agree though that it is best to avid polluting the canal if it is possible and I commend the OP for drawing the boat to C & RTs attention

haggis

I get that completely, but i think of a boat someone doesnt live on as an "extra" in their life , so should their financial situation take a dive for whatever reason it is the first thing that is going to suffer.... to be fair i dont understand why CART werent on their case months ago with reference to their licence and why a section 8 hasnt already been put in place.

Rick

42 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

The most frequently reported type of water pollution incident involves fuels and oils. By following the guidance in this section you can minimise the risk of your boat or marina being a cause of such pollution. If a spill should occur in freshwaters contact the Environment Agency Emergency Hotline (0800 80 70 60).

I suspect imminent danger of such an occurrence would qualify for their attention.

Sorry to be in cynic mode, but I would say "...If a spill should occur in freshwaters..."  there is nothing they can do about it.   The spill has not occurred.....

Personally if I was there, I would get a cup and bail out some water into a bucket, then empty the bucket carefully in the hedgerow well away from the canal. Although if I was there, it means I would be on my boat - and I would have a hand-pump - so easily fixed.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Sorry to be in cynic mode, but I would say "...If a spill should occur in freshwaters..."  there is nothing they can do about it.   The spill has not occurred.....

Personally if I was there, I would get a cup and bail out some water into a bucket, then empty the bucket carefully in the hedgerow well away from the canal. Although if I was there, it means I would be on my boat - and I would have a hand-pump - so easily fixed.

Well said! i would hope anyone coming across a potentially sinking boat would do the same to alleviate an environmental disaster and to hopefully save the owner the distress a sunken boat would cause them.

Rick