Boat left adrift/abandoned? Hyde Lock, Kinver.

jonesthenuke

Featured Posts

A narrowboat was found adrift  (stuck on the lock weir)  above Hyde Lock about 3 weeks ago. CRT are aware and have secured it to the bank.

A CRT letter has been attached to the roof of the boat but remains unopened. The boat has no visible name or registration number that I could see on a brief inspection. I will post a photo tomorrow as its dark now.

If anyone is aware of a missing boat , probably from the Staffs and Worcs, please let the owner know.

The other concern is that the boat has been taking on water, possibly just rain on the cruiser deck, and the stern is steadily getting lower (to give you an idea, the anodes are now out of the water at the bow). The engine space is part full of water and the inevitable black oil, so I have made CRT aware of the pollution threat. 

3 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

A narrowboat was found adrift  (stuck on the lock weir)  above Hyde Lock about 3 weeks ago. CRT are aware and have secured it to the bank.

A CRT letter has been attached to the roof of the boat but remains unopened. The boat has no visible name or registration number that I could see on a brief inspection. I will post a photo tomorrow as its dark now.

If anyone is aware of a missing boat , probably from the Staffs and Worcs, please let the owner know.

The other concern is that the boat has been taking on water, possibly just rain on the cruiser deck, and the stern is steadily getting lower (to give you an idea, the anodes are now out of the water at the bow). The engine space is part full of water and the inevitable black oil, so I have made CRT aware of the pollution threat. 

If you want anything doing before it sinks either do it yourself or get the fire brigade or local environmental agency people involved. CrT do not stop boats sinking.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If you want anything doing before it sinks either do it yourself or get the fire brigade or local environmental agency people involved. CrT do not stop boats sinking.

Ok, agreed, I have emphasised the environmental risk to CRT. It may well be some time before enough water gets in to cause an issue but I consider the risk to be real. Meantime someone owns this boat and it will be wrecked.

If it looks worse next week I will call EA and make it plain that CRT have known about this for 3-4 weeks already.

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

They do however, once sunk and all the diesel and engine fluids floated away, surround the sunken boat with those pointless and supposedly oil-collecting 'booms'.

Just now, jonesthenuke said:

Ok, agreed, I have emphasised the environmental risk to CRT. It may well be some time before enough water gets in to cause an issue but I consider the risk to be real. Meantime someone owns this boat and it will be wrecked.

If it looks worse next week I will call EA and make it plain that CRT have known about this for 3-4 weeks already.

Tell CRT it has sunk and is leaking diesel and oil.

They will be there in an hour or so.

4 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

The boat has no visible name or registration number

Although what can they do in these circumstances?  They do have powers to remove the boat, but need to give 28 days notice as I understand it.  

From my reading of Nigel's waterways law courses, this is exactly what Section 8 powers were supposed to be used for - get it out of the water PDQ and then charge the owner for it later.  

Not for enforcing mooring times.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Although what can they do in these circumstances?  They do have powers to remove the boat, but need to give 28 days notice as I understand it.  

From my reading of Nigel's waterways law courses, this is exactly what Section 8 powers were supposed to be used for - get it out of the water PDQ and then charge the owner for it later.  

Totally agree , 

CRT should starting taking action under existing by laws against the growing number of  boats not displaying an index number

45 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Totally agree , 

CRT should starting taking action under existing by laws against the growing number of  boats not displaying an index number

Absolutely, and had the owner followed this rule he/she should be contactable and potentially save their boat from damage.

I had the opposite situation last month - a boat with a name and index number displayed with a broken window. 

I rang CRT and they had no record of ownership to allow them to contact the owner.  This was near Wigan, so I also rang the Bridgewater Canal Company and they didn't know it either.

Sad to see a boat filling with snow and rain.

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Many laws end up being used in ways that the originators never considered! Lawyers, including those in a barrack room or board room, are great at dredging up laws that can be adapted to new purposes. Sometimes it avoids having to pursue new legislation but generally just makes for more fees. (I suspect)

18 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Photos now added. As yet not too low in the water, but the engine compartment has a lot in it.

Hopefully someone recognises the boat?

20180217_124013_resized.jpg

20180217_124034_resized.jpg

20180217_124052_resized.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nut said:

Imho I would rally up some fellow boaters and try and do what's possible 

Its not so easy as it may appear. The boat is tied up reasonably securely, so nothing to do on that front.

What is needed is to pump out the very oily water from the engine compartment, but that gives a considerable disposal problem and not something that I could do.

2 hours ago, philjw said:

From the photo there seems to be an old licence in the forward window. I don't suppose the index number is legible on that? (I'm guessing the OP has checked that already but I thought I would ask just in case)

Nothing legible except a hand written sign saying "GET A LICENCE", though its not so polite.

3 hours ago, Detling said:

If those 3 black containers on the stern are full, then moving them to the well deck forward would buy more time without any major problem

Two are empty, one part full. Not enough to make a difference sadly.

2 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Nothing legible except a hand written sign saying "GET A LICENCE", though its not so polite.

Two are empty, one part full. Not enough to make a difference sadly.

How about pumping or baling some of the bilge water into the two empty ones, then putting them in the forward well deck to restore the trim a bit and buy some time.