Aceleron - repurposed lithium batteries for boaters

Johny London

Featured Posts

I'm up for buying one to experiment with. I've just emailed them asking what price they are.

Odd they don't seem able to tell us. Or at least no-one here seems to have mentioned a price as fart as I can see. 

One thing to note is whereas all other lithiums I've looked at are one large cell on a box, these are dozens or hundreds of tiny cells apparently connected in parallel/series. This means cell balancing is impossible and if one cell gets out of balance and fails from overcharging, I can imagine it taking down all the others in the box. 

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm up for buying one to experiment with. I've just emailed them asking what price they are.

Odd they don't seem able to tell us. Or at least no-one here seems to have mentioned a price as fart as I can see. 

One thing to note is whereas all other lithiums I've looked at are one large cell on a box, these are dozens or hundreds of tiny cells apparently connected in parallel/series. This means cell balancing is impossible and if one cell gets out of balance and fails from overcharging, I can imagine it taking down all the others in the box. 

No need to phart just because you cant find a price!! :)

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mike buy what I bought they have a balancing board inside which you activate when you connect it to the computer, as of yet they are staying in balance on their own so no issues

There could still be an advantage - quick recharging and no sulfation? Certainly its a bit of a blow regarding usable capacity. (I think that going over 70% will be giving too high a voltage - prolly end up blowing all the 12v stuff).

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/04/2018 at 17:29, peterboat said:

Mike buy what I bought they have a balancing board inside which you activate when you connect it to the computer, as of yet they are staying in balance on their own so no issues

Can I ask a dumb question? Maybe Peterboat can answer. The 12V (nominal) Li Fe battery will have 6 cells in series as per a lead acid. With lead acids, as you build a bigger capacity battery, you just make each of the 6 cells bigger. For Li Fe how do you do it? Can you make the cells bigger or do you have multiple sets of 6 cells in parallel? If the latter, what is the optimum size for each cell and how many cells total would a 110Ahr Li Fe have? Peter, do you know many cells are in your batteries?

On 04/04/2018 at 17:22, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok some feedback. 

I contacted them citing their claim to be selling at prices competitive with LA batteries asking for a price for a 100 ah battery. They responded asking what the application was. I explained I wanted one to play with on mebote.

They referred me to technical dept who suggested I buy four batts at about £300 each, and ignored my technical questions about charging. 

Consequently i ignored their proposal and its all gone quiet. 

13 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Can I ask a dumb question? Maybe Peterboat can answer. The 12V (nominal) Li Fe battery will have 6 cells in series as per a lead acid. With lead acids, as you build a bigger capacity battery, you just make each of the 6 cells bigger. For Li Fe how do you do it? Can you make the cells bigger or do you have multiple sets of 6 cells in parallel? If the latter, what is the optimum size for each cell and how many cells total would a 110Ahr Li Fe have? Peter, do you know many cells are in your batteries?

Bob they only have 4 cells at 3.2v nominal, in my case each of those cells is made up of a block of 100 cells in parallel, then the 4 blocks are put in series. So in reality I have 400 cells in my battery :) thats why in some cases a BMS is needed. Mine are Lifepo4 batteries by Valence

• Greenie 1

On 17/03/2018 at 11:48, Johny London said:

Not heard from the guys at Acceleron, but I've mailed them, summing up our requirements and concerns, so I will let you know what the response is.

In the meantime, Jono is making (somewhat lengthy) progress...

I must say, this level of install does look a tad daunting - not to mention costly.

£3600 for his batteries alone, (perhaps less his JONOPROMO 10% discount)....

On 28/02/2018 at 21:10, peterboat said:

He is a silly man I bought 8 x 138 ah lithiums for less than his 3 and mine are from Valence who have a history of using these on boats. I put two on charge with solar the other day they just suck up power so fast and can push the amps out without dropping the volts so much better than the trojans they replaced

Where from?

I have seen those Victron Batteries at under £900 now - if these are the same ones...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-LiFePO4-Lithium-Ion-12-8V-90Ah-Battery-wind-solar-off-grid-storage/253067185962?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Meanwhile, Aceleron gave me prices. 

"Standard 12V 100Ah units range from £720-£875 depending on features and terms, and our 24V 100Ah (not a standard production model) runs between £1100-£1300. We could provide volume reductions as well."
In that case, I'd go with the Victron out of the two. So much for prices comparable to standard l/a :(

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

Bob they only have 4 cells at 3.2v nominal, in my case each of those cells is made up of a block of 100 cells in parallel, then the 4 blocks are put in series. So in reality I have 400 cells in my battery :) thats why in some cases a BMS is needed. Mine are Lifepo4 batteries by Valence

Peter. Thanks for the info. Very useful.

• 1 month later...