Aceleron - repurposed lithium batteries for boaters

Johny London

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Stop that joking aground @rasputin don't like it.

I don't really give much credence to a Russian sexual deviant, mystic healer, political saboteur and renegade monkригорий Ефимович Распутин

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't really give much credence to a Russian sexual deviant, mystic healer, political saboteur and renegade monkригорий Ефимович Распутин

That song is the worst kind of ear worm and even though I absolutely refuse to click on the link I can feel the song worming into my brain, thanks for that, at least a day of bladdy ra ra rasputin

;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

That song is the worst kind of ear worm and even though I absolutely refuse to click on the link I can feel the song worming into my brain, thanks for that, at least a day of bladdy ra ra rasputin

;)

The one that really gets in my head is "brown girl in the rain"Tra la la la la. From that film touching the void.

Oops sorry.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

There was another 'snipit' that came out of Jono's video......the information that the victron lithiums keep a constant voltage, so the voltage on the battery is 12.8v ish and doesnt vary much with SoC. He mentions that in the past with LA's he never paid attention to SoC on his battery monitor but watched the voltage (and Amps in and out). Now with Lithiums he says SoC is much more informative and not much use looking at Voltage. What then the future for Smartgauges? Even properly calibrated ones? If voltage hardly changes, they arent going to be much use. Re-modeling the voltage/SoC algorithm isnt going to be easy as there is precious little data available. Different slant on life?

Ahrs in/out will be more important in a lithium world.....according to Jono! I hadnt seen that one coming.

Yes I'd been thinking about that recently - but lithiums in phones/laptops etc all seem to be able to give accurate soc reports - so I guess as long as the battery supplier has taken care of that, it should work very well indeed.

I'm afraid the s/g will go into the canal along with all the old LA's... only kidding.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its also Booo-ey in Australia.

Do you still have to have a criminal record to go there?

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Its just one nitrogen molecule with 50 oxygen molecules (NO50)

I bet it goes woof. 

9 hours ago, Johny London said:

Yes - if you have shore power a lot of the time then why bother. But as a cc'er, an hour a day charging instead of 4, would be amazing and save a fortune too. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on

Yes I was just looking for their video about it.

I wonder how they are getting on?

Surely  as a CONTINUOUS cruiser your engine runs more than an hour a day anyway? You cant travel far in one hour.

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

I don’t believe you can get them for less than a grand each even with a decent discount and he bought three. 

He is a silly man I bought 8 x 138 ah lithiums for less than his 3 and mine are from Valence who have a history of using these on boats. I put two on charge with solar the other day they just suck up power so fast and can push the amps out without dropping the volts so much better than the trojans they replaced

A question on 'C' rating. In the video, Jono says that charging his Victron lithiums at 0 degrees centigrade can be done, but the charge  has to be within the range 0.05C => 0.1C. I'm not sure that I understand C ratings, so I'm really struggling to understand where he got the 5 amp number from. Any explanation would be welcome.

On the discharge side, does a statement saying discharge at 5C mean apply a load that will discharge the battery in 5 hours?

C rating is how fast you can charge / discharge a cell or battery and is relative to the batteries capacity (C) 1C is generally the full batteries capacity in one hour

on a 10AH battery 1C means you can safely charge or discharge at 10A (on a 100AH battery it would be 100A)

if you applied a 5C load (50A) you would totally flatten your 10AH battery in just over 10 minutes

some batteries show what appears to be a range of C ratings for discharge, one I have here shows 30C - 50C, this means it can handle a constant 30C load and short peaks of 50C (usually the peak loads are to allow for starting big electric motors and are only for a couple of seconds max)

Edited by Jess--

36 minutes ago, Col_T said:

On the discharge side, does a statement saying discharge at 5C mean apply a load that will discharge the battery in 5 hours?

If I understand Jess correctly, no this means a load that will discharge the battery in one fifth of an hour, i.e. 12 minutes.

And a 5A charging current at 0.1C means a 50AH battery.

If the 5A is 0.05C, this makes the battery 100AH.

Note that you might come across two different ways of expressing a C rating. 

0.1C can also be written as C/10 or, more lazily, C10. 

Likewise 0.05C can be written as C/20 etc.

I make the point because it’s easy to become confused if you aren’t aware.  

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

if you applied a 5C load (50A) you would totally flatten your 10AH battery in just over 10 minutes

And, if it’s a lead acid battery, probably kill it ;)

I've made a list of questions/requirements based on the points raised in this discussion, so if I get to speak with the guys from Aceleron I can at least let them know what it is we want, even if they cannot help at this time. Might well have a chance next week.

In the meantime, I continue to struggle with my LA's. The recent addition of the Webasto, adding to my power requirements seem to have pushed things into the red as far as what I can supply from my existing set up. I have decided to firstly address the access problem I have to my batteries - a nice little project to cut away the deck floor on both sides and replace it with a boxed in section of raised sides with hexaboard removable tops (I need the extra height on the other side for a built in genny) - it will look very smart too. Once that is done I can actually get to my batteries - incase I try lithium but have to swap back in the old LA's or something. Easier for tinkering but will have to wait for somewhat better weather.

Just an update :)

On 16/02/2018 at 15:25, mrsmelly said:

three things have always sprung to my mind in order of importance

Fire risk ( Could be a deal breaker insurance wise )

How to charge them

Price?

What makes me think that these batteries could just be the Elecsols of the Lithium world ..............

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

What makes me think that these batteries could just be the Elecsols of the Lithium world ..............

oh yeah I remember them Eley jobbies suddenly appearing a few years back as the saviour of humanity in boats ........what did happen to them?