Need a Pressure Washer - Not Karcher :(

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Had 2 Karcher pressure washers over the past few years. Both have failed in a way that seems common after a quick google. A plastic part inside the cover breaks in some way, and the things leak. So I dont really want to risk another Karcher. I'd had the first one for a number of years, but the second only a couple. Useage was 3 or 4 times a year cleaning drive and a couple of patios, and I used the second one once to give one side of the boat a quick wash.

Any suggestions for a compact pressure washer that does a reasonable job and might last.

The huge and powerful Nilfisk at Hesfords on The Bridgewater did a great job, but I obviously dont need/want anything that big or powerful.

We have a smaller Nilfisk,used for washing the bottom of the sailing boat. Have also used it for the narrowboat hull,and although ok, is certainly not as good as a heavy duty proffessional type. Depends what you want to wash I spose.

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We have a smaller Nilfisk,used for washing the bottom of the sailing boat. Have also used it for the narrowboat hull,and although ok, is certainly not as good as a heavy duty proffessional type. Depends what you want to wash I spose.

Bidet' are quite good at washing bottoms. :o

32 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Had 2 Karcher pressure washers over the past few years. Both have failed in a way that seems common after a quick google. A plastic part inside the cover breaks in some way, and the things leak. So I dont really want to risk another Karcher. I'd had the first one for a number of years, but the second only a couple. Useage was 3 or 4 times a year cleaning drive and a couple of patios, and I used the second one once to give one side of the boat a quick wash.

Any suggestions for a compact pressure washer that does a reasonable job and might last.

The huge and powerful Nilfisk at Hesfords on The Bridgewater did a great job, but I obviously dont need/want anything that big or powerful.

They usually fail around this time of year because water has been left inside them and it freezes and splits plastic parts inside. If stored in a shed or garage during a cold spell this is a sure fire way of killing them. (Don't ask how I know this)

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Kranzle 1152TS

:)

10 minutes ago, MJG said:

They usually fail around this time of year because water has been left inside them and it freezes and splits plastic parts inside. If stored in a shed or garage during a cold spell this is a sure fire way of killing them. (Don't ask how I know this)

Did you discover how to make sure there is no water inside before storing in the shed? I always give them a quick squirt after turning off the power to release the pressure, but I’d guess this doesn’t expel all the water.

Sounds like a design issue, given that storage in a cold shed in winter could be reasonably expected?

My Karcher failed in the same way - caused by me not unscrewing the pipe with the lance on it from the main body of the unit for the winter. Water froze and split the U shaped part - found a replacement on Ebay and its been fine ever since - I now unscrew the pipe for the winter and make sure the thing is empty of water.

Edited by CV32

Buy the cheapest Chinese pressure washer you can from Q-shop B & Q -- when it breaks you can easily afford another. Mine hasn't failed in four years yet, though.

Kärcher washers are like Audis, in my opinion -- you pay for the name (and the heavy advertising) but a Skoda is just as good. 

Edited by Machpoint005
sp.

Having got through a few over the years I’ve been using a Nilfisk for the last 4 years (only used it last week as it happens) and it’s been faultless. It lives in a shed and therefore regularly experiences sub-zero temps. 

Edited by WotEver
Grammar

Karcher were always recognised as a quality product in the 90's ish! They then changed their production somehow and they are not the same. Perhaps they replaced metal bits with plastic inferior bits. Do they not have a Proffessional range? or is that someone else.

The same can be said for Nilfisk. Always top of the range vacs etc. They then reduced quality to get into contractors and big sales. Nilfisk are still very good. But for vacuum cleaners you can't beat good old Henry. Powerful, robust and easily repairs if the unlikely happens.

I bought my Nilfisk from Screwfix one Sunday when my last one gave up half way through cleaning the drive. I spent a while comparing throughput and pressure of their various offerings and noticed that for much the same spec the Nilfisk was always cheaper than the Karcher. So I took a punt on a blue one instead of a yellow one and it’s proved faultless. I bought a separate 3rd party ‘power jet’ (the kind that spins the jet) made out of what looks like brass instead of the supplied one because experience tells me that the supplied ones always fail due to wear and calcium. 

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

But for vacuum cleaners you can't beat good old Henry. Powerful, robust and easily repairs if the unlikely happens.

Not after they have been used to suck up laser printer toner they melt and catch fire. don't ask, been there done that etc.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

... for vacuum cleaners you can't beat good old Henry. Powerful, robust and easily repairs if the unlikely happens.

The Chinese pattern spares for Numatic (Henry) vacuums are much cheaper too. We bought an extra-long hose for ours when the original one spilt, and it has served very well for three years so far. 

The Nilfisk machines are of similar design, aren't they?

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

But for vacuum cleaners you can't beat good old Henry. Powerful, robust and easily repairs if the unlikely happens.

Oh yes you can. Just try sucking up ten litres of water with a Henry and it will be well and truly farked. 

4 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Did you discover how to make sure there is no water inside before storing in the shed? I always give them a quick squirt after turning off the power to release the pressure, but I’d guess this doesn’t expel all the water.

Sounds like a design issue, given that storage in a cold shed in winter could be reasonably expected?

Mine went the same way, cheap replacement part off the interweb sorted it. Now I tilt it forward with hose and lance disconnected and give it a quick burst with the switch to empty plastic part (it's the threaded bit the garden hose screws onto) 

Edited by nb Innisfree

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Mine went the same way, cheap replacement part off the interweb sorted it. Now I tilt it forward with hose and lance disconnected and give it a quick burst with the switch to empty plastic part (it's the threaded bit the garden hose screws onto) 

I drained my pump unit but not the hose, the trigger valve froze and then wouldn't turn off.  So don't forget to drain the hose as well as the pump.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I drained my pump unit but not the hose, the trigger valve froze and then wouldn't turn off.  So don't forget to drain the hose as well as the pump.

I always disconnect, drain with trigger open and coil it up then hang it up on the wall. Or now and then forget to drain, hang it up then later mop up the puddle. 

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

With my replacement I just dismantle it as much as I can, lance, connecting pipe etc. I remove all the water from the lance (that split apart too) by opening the trigger and draining that, and blow through the connecting pipe.

With the unit itself I then give it a 5 second blast with everything disconnected and invert it return it to upright and then repeat, its a bit of a faff but seems to work so far.