Baseplate Painting

brassedoff

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well, you look fairly small.  Do you wear overalls over your nice red coat?

My nice red coat only comes out once a year to celebrate Chinese new year, which happens to be today :)

Gong Hey Fat Choy 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

Keep docking or hauling out a steel boat too frequently exposies the baseplate to the fresh air-oxygen and accelerates the formation of rust on it. Fresh air is bad. Leave the lid off a jar of jam letting in the fresh air and it goes bad.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That was the before picture - and I didn't take an after picture.

It was meant to show the better access using stands, not the blacking - as almost any fule would know.

You'd need to lift the boat again to paint the two stripes left by the stands, or re floated and move along in a dock a bit to paint the stripes.  Costly.   On trestles the boat could be lifted with a couple of bottle jacks to shift the trestles

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

You'd need to lift the boat again to paint the two stripes left by the stands, or re floated and move along in a dock a bit to paint the stripes.  Costly.   On trestles the boat could be lifted with a couple of bottle jacks to shift the trestles

Yep, that's exactly how we did it.  A lower stand and a 30 ton jack lifted it just high enough to slide the stands along a bit.

Wouldn't work too well in a dry dock, as they cry when you move their girders.

40 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That was the before picture - and I didn't take an after picture.

It was meant to show the better access using stands, not the blacking - as almost any fule would know.

Thanks for explaining! I didn't realise...

• Haha 2