Never get anything on the prop again!

David Mack

Featured Posts

On 16/02/2018 at 00:48, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm I used regularly to see a boat with a similar stern paddle called the JETHRO TULL a decade or two ago. 

Anyone know what happened to it?

I'm sure there was one moored on the offside between Denham and Uxbridge about 10 years ago. Is it still there?

As you suggest, they're stern-wheelers rather than paddle wheelers. I'm just going by the fact that paddle steamers had a paddle on each side of the boat while steamers with a single paddle at the stern were called stern-wheelers. Anyway, the reason paddles died out as a form of propulsion and most remaining boats using paddles are now purely for tourism or historical interest, is because they are inefficient compared to props. The majority of the paddle is out of the water as it revolves.

21 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm sure there was one moored on the offside between Denham and Uxbridge about 10 years ago. Is it still there?

As you suggest, they're stern-wheelers rather than paddle wheelers. I'm just going by the fact that paddle steamers had a paddle on each side of the boat while steamers with a single paddle at the stern were called stern-wheelers. Anyway, the reason paddles died out as a form of propulsion and most remaining boats using paddles are now purely for tourism or historical interest, is because they are inefficient compared to props. The majority of the paddle is out of the water as it revolves.

Most famously the screw-driven HMS Rattler in her tug-of-war with the paddle-wheeler HMS Alecto in 1845.

Rattler was pitted against a number of paddlewheelers from 1843 to 1845. These extended trials were to prove conclusively that the screw propeller was as good as, indeed superior to, the paddlewheel as a propulsion system. The most famous of these trials took place in March 1845, with Rattler conclusively beating HMS Alecto in a series of races, followed by a tug-of-war contest in which Rattler towed Alecto backwards at a speed of 2 knots (3.7 km/h).

On 16/02/2018 at 00:48, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm I used regularly to see a boat with a similar stern paddle called the JETHRO TULL a decade or two ago. 

Anyone know what happened to it?

I saw it about four years ago near Guildford and later last year was talking to someone who knows it well.  Apparently its still there but in a very sorry state.

I always understood that it was built for the unrestored K&A specifically as a way of combating weed. I could be wrong with this though.

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 2/17/2018 at 14:57, blackrose said:

That was the one that is the subject of the OP, surely?

It seems a reasonable bet that as it is photographed at High Line's yard, it is no longer where it always seemed to be used to be tied up.