Liverpool Link

bill brown

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

Last time I was in there one of the locals was loudly describing the gasping gurgling sounds that people make when he punches them in the throat so that rather put me off, sad 'cus it is a nice proper pub.

Last "safe" place to stop before the final run into Liverpool is Melling, just before the little swing bridge.  There is a pub there (Bootle Arms?), ten mins walk away, but they don't take dogs so that's the liver resting night. Usually very good sunsets and Liverpool docks visible in the distance. This is the usual last night stop for most boats heading into Liverpool.

.................Dave

Are the moorings at Litherland bridge (Tesco's) not reckoned to be safe then?

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Are the moorings at Litherland bridge (Tesco's) not reckoned to be safe then?

Melling to Liverpool (Salthouse) is an easy days cruising so I have never felt the need to Stop at Litherland overnight, and most boats don't (one or two do). Have done a quick stop to shop at Tescos. It used to be a "communal and compulsory" stop to get the plastic bags off the props but the canal is getting cleaner and cleaner every year. The pub does look interesting.

...............Dave

25 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

Where would you recommend as a stop off the night before going into the docks

I'm looking for somewhere to overnight that's about half a days cruising to Stanley locks arriving 13.00hrs.

7 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I'm looking for somewhere to overnight that's about half a days cruising to Stanley locks arriving 13.00hrs.

Under the old scheme almost everybody overnighted at Melling then moved down to Wango Lano early morning to go through the swing bridge together assisted by CaRT, (8.30 I think) one or two boats would overnight at the Wango Lane Bridge but Melling is much nicer and only half hour further out. This would mean arriving in Salthouse mid afternoon. Under the new scheme I think we will stick to this, but if you want to break the Journey then the CaRT depot at Litherland would be the place to stop.

Liverpool is not evil though there has been trouble in the past, its like any other big city, you can probably stop anywhere (and a few boats do) and be ok but its a big city and mooring alone on the towpath in a big city always carries a small risk.

..............Dave

Eldonian Village used to be a recommended mooring. Is this no longer the case?

Also I have another question.  How dog friendly or unfriendly are the moorings in Salthouse Dock?  Is there anywhere very near to take a dog, say last thing at night?

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Also I have another question.  How dog friendly or unfriendly are the moorings in Salthouse Dock?  Is there anywhere very near to take a dog, say last thing at night?

Up the steps, across the road towards Liverpool One and on the left is or was a grassy slope. 

Well there were several boats stopping overnight at Litherland when we both went and came back and non seemed bothered when we chatted to them, we stopped for the afternoon on our way out. We stopped just before bridge 10 and left at 9am which got us to bridge 9 some 20 minutes latter and 10 minutes before it opened, we than carried on to Stanley locks arriving at about 12-30 so did a prop clean before setting off down the locks with another boat at 1 pm. 

On 03/05/2018 at 09:12, Mac of Cygnet said:

I took one trip into Eldonian on our first visit to Liverpool, and had to reverse out. Nothing there per say and open moorings leading onto a road. I've never known anyone stop there even though it has been suggested by CRT in the past. Its always been either Melling for us or Litherland.

This is my only problem. I have a dog who refuses to go to the toilet on anything but grass. Ive had a look around and the easiest for first and toilet breaks of the day was on the grass behind the Pier Masters House. The grass near Liverpool One may be closef I don't know, but the sometimes lengthy wait for the green man to cross the road puts me off this choice.

44 minutes ago, Liam said:

I took one trip into Eldonian on our first visit to Liverpool, and had to reverse out. Nothing there per say and open moorings leading onto a road. I've never known anyone stop there even though it has been suggested by CRT in the past. Its always been either Melling for us or Litherland.

This is my only problem. I have a dog who refuses to go to the toilet on anything but grass. Ive had a look around and the easiest for first and toilet breaks of the day was on the grass behind the Pier Masters House. The grass near Liverpool One may be closef I don't know, but the sometimes lengthy wait for the green man to cross the road puts me off this choice.

Last I heard was that Eldonian might be ok but not recommended to be the only boat. A teenager was shot dead on the towpath there year before last!

Liverpool is not the best place for dogs. We reward ours by taking her to a beach every few days, New Brighton and "Anthony Gormley" etc, but this does involve a train journey.  Dog ablutions are a bit tricky. Up the ramp and over the bridge to the bit of Grass by Billy Fury is ok. However if its a sunny and you leave it a bit late this can be full of sunbathers/ice cream eaters etc so not the best place for a doggy crap.

A better spot is the grass just below the big wheel at the opposite corner of the dock but this is quite a long way for a dog to walk with its legs crossed.

Dogs are welcome in the Baltic Fleet.

..............Dave

2 hours ago, Liam said:

I stayed in Eldonian Village in 2009 without issue. I remember chatting to a few of the local residents who were quite welcoming.

We're usually out of the boat by 8am when we visit and not back until late. The ferry over and a walk down to New Brighton is a favourite for us. A bit pricier than the train but a lot more enjoyable. We then let Tommy the dog go crackers on the beach! A walk back the same way usually has hI'm tired out.

We have done the museums etc which are thoroughly interesting, but we tend to walk around more visiting the other half's relatives in Wallasey. We've done the Baltic Fleet which I'd recommend and also would highly recommend the fabulous Guinness in Pogue Mahone's on Seal Street. You can  (and we have) lost a lot of time in there! :)

3 hours ago, Liam said:

I have an idea to solve you're problem. Go to a garden centre and buy a couple of pieces of turf which when needed could be rolled out on to the pontoon/towpath. Dog does the business and you roll it up again, preferably after you dispose of the poo in the proper way. Problem solved.  :D

1 hour ago, Liam said:

We're usually out of the boat by 8am when we visit and not back until late. The ferry over and a walk down to New Brighton is a favourite for us. A bit pricier than the train but a lot more enjoyable. We then let Tommy the dog go crackers on the beach! A walk back the same way usually has hI'm tired out.

We have done the museums etc which are thoroughly interesting, but we tend to walk around more visiting the other half's relatives in Wallasey. We've done the Baltic Fleet which I'd recommend and also would highly recommend the fabulous Guinness in Pogue Mahone's on Seal Street. You can  (and we have) lost a lot of time in there! :)

Train to New Brighton then a beach walk to Moels and train back is a good one. Hamilton Square to New Brighton is also interesting, might even see a tram, but less good for the dog. Dog is ok with the train because she knows it is heading for a beach walk. There is a lift at James Street station which is easier than the escalator, dog a bit big for carrying. We did go over on the ferry once but it was windy and choppy and dog cried the whole way, not good for a full time boat dog ?.

Beach just South of Formby is interesting, its the dumping ground for rubble from WW2 so is mostly made of Victorian red bricks but interspersed with real treasures from destroyed churches. The walk over to Hilbre Islands from West Kirby at low tide is also a good day out.

...............Dave