River Avon Navigation Licence

Corixa

Featured Posts

I am planning a trip in June part of which involves moving onto the River Avon from Bancroft Basin down to Tewkesbury to pick up the River Severn.

The excellent CanalPlan tool says this will take just over 15 hours as it is 42 miles and 18 locks. I would like to make one overnight stop on the river.

I am conscious that I will need to get a license from the Avon Navigation Trust. But I am a little confused as to which one I will need. Having looked on their website I see that there is a 24 hour overnight for £5 but I am guessing this will not be sufficient to cover the trip and take in an overnight stop – or will it? I will not be returning to Bancroft Basin so this would appear to cut out the 48 hour option.

Does anybody know if I will have to take the £50 7 Day Through license or if there is a more cost effective way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think it's a 7 day licence for £50 you need. That was the price in 2016 anyway. I did the downstream trip single handed in late August 2016 leaving Stratford late morning and mooring up that same night above Evesham lock (much better mooring below). Next night I was at Tewkesbury and onto the Severn first thing the following morning within 48 hours of leaving Stratford.

JP

They won't let you do it on a 24 hour licence, I've tried. The lockie wouldn't let me up on Saturday afternoon (even though it was an hour before official closing) as he said there wouldn't be any moorings within an hours cruise!!

After a first up the Tewkesbury lock on Sunday morning I got to the lock above Bideford (Barton?) that night and was at Kingswood Junction the next night. If I had been allowed up Sat afternoon, I would have been in Stratford late Sunday easily.

So yes, its the £50 licence.

Edited by matty40s

Unless you are returning to your start point, you need a through licence.  The shortest through licence is for 7 days at £50. 

It is a great river I would suggest you stop for at least 2 nights, and as you will have time to spare on your licence, when you get to Stratford you can moor on the river instead of the basin if you want to.

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Unless you are returning to your start point, you need a through licence.  The shortest through licence is for 7 days at £50. 

It is a great river I would suggest you stop for at least 2 nights, and as you will have time to spare on your licence, when you get to Stratford you can moor on the river instead of the basin if you want to.

You can but you will still have to pay a mooring fee I think  

2 hours ago, dekker said:

It used to be free until the council  saw as an income  stream as they all do now.

Are you not supposed to pay it at the boat in the basin?

I know people will dodge paying if no one comes round.

I believe you can pay there, so if you are going downstream and buying a licence you could pay at the same time.  But it shuts at something like 5pm, so if you arrive upstream after that what are you supposed to do.

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I believe you can pay there, so if you are going downstream and buying a licence you could pay at the same time.  But it shuts at something like 5pm, so if you arrive upstream after that what are you supposed to do.

leave early in the morning....:D

Give them some money and get a 7 day licence. They do a great job of keeping that river navigable and deserve your financial support. Its also a nice feeling to pay money and know that its going towards boating rather than cycle tracks, layers of managers, and silly PR stunts and consultations.

..............Dave

• Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

If mooring at Stratford for a couple of days, is there any problem with buying two 24 hour licences?

I think the 24 hour licence specifies that you enter and leave at the same point, so it is for quick excursions from Stratford or Tewksbury, not through passages.

34 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

If mooring at Stratford for a couple of days, is there any problem with buying two 24 hour licences?

I think there is a specific licence to just do down onto the river and moor, it just give you access to that reach, ie no use of the river locks.

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

There is a £5 24hour license for mooring on the Stratford reach which can be bought at the information barge next to the lock in Bancroft basin. You could buy repeat licenses each day of your stay but not in advance and they are not valid below Trinity lock (next downstream lock). There is a 24 hr high def CCTV camera recording lock movements at Bancroft which is monitored to alert Patrol Officers of any boats not returning or proceeding downstream. Those Stratford river moorings are well worth the fiver for a peaceful spot in the Park with views across the river to the RS theatre, the Black Swan (Mucky Duck) or Trinity church.

15 minutes ago, nikvah said:

There is a £5 24hour license for mooring on the Stratford reach which can be bought at the information barge next to the lock in Bancroft basin. You could buy repeat licenses each day of your stay but not in advance and they are not valid below Trinity lock (next downstream lock). There is a 24 hr high def CCTV camera recording lock movements at Bancroft which is monitored to alert Patrol Officers of any boats not returning or proceeding downstream. Those Stratford river moorings are well worth the fiver for a peaceful spot in the Park with views across the river to the RS theatre, the Black Swan (Mucky Duck) or Trinity church.

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know. We'll probably be in Stratford for 3 nights so will want to spend 2 nights on the river (better for Jessop the dog) and then 1 in the basin for a quick getaway afterwards.

Things have no doubt changed since about 1990 when I left Bancroft basin one Saturday lunchtime, and reached the marina at Tewkesbury at around 2am the Sunday morning. It was an amazing overnight single handed run, with a full moon, but perhaps not the safest trip....

As I remember it, the only vessel I met was an uncoxed pair in the twilight, which gave me a nasty moment as they came upstream towards me.