Cambridgeshire Continuous Cruising

BenJames

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If only there were more like you. On the Witham where mooring pontoons are very short and few and far between with very little other choice , it is most annoying when you find a narrow boat has not only moored fully on the pontoon but usually two cleats from the end :(

Even worse is when two take up a full pontoon that could easily fit four or five boats with a bit of thought. 

We have been told off for queue jumping when we agreed to share with a narrowboat but other cruisers had declined!

Odd. I wonder what the reason was. 

13 hours ago, rusty69 said:

When we moored Mr Rusty on the Gt Ouse, plastic boats would understandably not want to share a lock with us,but were generally pleasant.

One couple in a plastic boat was happy to share with us one day as he jumped the queue of three boats waiting behind who had all declined to share with a 70ft ,20 ton boat.

We've  never found that on our visits, as Simon says with a bit of thought you can pack quite a few boats in the locks with the recess'. 

23 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

A possible middle way would be to look at some of the moorings that enterprising landowners have put in place, eg half way up the Lark, near Stretham pumping station. They are pretty basic (though some of the latter do have hookup) but do have road access. No idea re price, but you could do that for a bit, while you do some exploring and find a friendly farmer.

There are a number of single boats that are moored at the end of a field, very remote, and have been there for several years, so presumably with landowner's permission. 

That's an excellent idea. That would allow me to get to know the rivers and canals from a base point and collect data on mooring positions.

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

Maybe depends on how shiny the boat is? Jeannette keeps polishing ours but at 11 years now it's starting to look a bit jaded. 

I always polish our boat, but somebody told me not to bother last time I did...........

They said," you can't polish a turd (unless its from a T-rex)". 

• 4 months later...
On 15/02/2018 at 11:54, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, talk is Tuesday 20th at 7, for 7.30 start, Venue – 2 Kingdom Street, Paddington Central W2 6BD. Easily accessible from the canal towpath on Paddington basin - just exit via the Circle/H&S line exit at the side of Paddington station. 

https://www.waterways.org.uk/branches_regions/london/london_region

Not usually a problem with low bridges, although there is a bit of a tendency to put bridges over locks in the Fens, which can make it a bit challenging in flood conditions. There aren't many bridges anyway....  This is Hermitage lock in flood conditions. I nearly had to go through backwards...
dscf7128.jpg

How wide is that lock? Do you know the headroom with no flood conditions? 

14 minutes ago, Tomek said:

How wide is that lock? Do you know the headroom with no flood conditions? 

Imrays says the width is 4.0m, which feels about right.  The lowest point on the bridge is at 4.1m, relative to the datum for the gauge at Earith. 

At the moment, the water is rather lower than usual, just under 1m, so the headroom is 3.1m.  It's more normally at about 1.5m,  giving 2.6m of headroom. Hope that makes sense

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1598/1742