Small Bath Options? - People's thoughts and experiences, please?

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

There is the Japanese style deep soaking tubs.

compact-ft14-koromo-bath-334x250.jpg

Having done a bit of Googling this is a on starter as all the ones I pulled up were at least 50% larger in their smallest dimension than the doorways we would have to get it in through.

This may actually be one of our biggest constraints.  Whatever we go for has to pass through gaps no more than about 52cm wide.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Having done a bit of Googling this is a on starter as all the ones I pulled up were at least 50% larger in their smallest dimension than the doorways we would have to get it in through.

This may actually be one of our biggest constraints.  Whatever we go for has to pass through gaps no more than about 52cm wide.

At that sort of width constraint, I suspect the only bath you will be able to fit is one like Nigel's - built in situ!

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I thought you bid 10k,then didn't pay up:)

Yea, I only took him cause you (CT) defaulted on payment. 

I did say to Auntie Waitrose that we would put the duck back in the auction next Christmas so after a year with us, he could see the canal network with a less intelligent couple. :giggles:

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, NigelMoore said:

You could always try building your own. I built a laminated pine bath for ‘Gilgie’, 4’x2’, deep enough to float in. You can’t see much of it for all the stuff Gilly stores in it, unfortunately. It can be used with the hand shower if a bath not wanted [high fixed mount for it, currently used as bag-hook, RHS], and has copper bar-jets as well [or as option], to match the heated towel rail opposite. Mirrored walls make everything feel more spacious [when the clobber is removed, anyway].

Wooden bath.jpg

Am well impressed in your wood work.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

This was a major constraint for us too.  The steel bath we chose would go through the doorway sideways minus the feet, but was too wide by about 3".

The only way I could squeeze the bath into the bathroom in was to let it into the lining. 

bath2 (1).jpg

Edited by koukouvagia

My original Black Prince bathtub was very uncomfortable. The ledge which was supposed to be a seat was too slopey to actually sit on without sliding off. Legs had to always be under tension to stay balanced.  It ended up just being used as a weird shower tray.

At the Loughborough banter we stayed in one of the Travelodge family rooms which had a short bathtub without a built in ledge/seat. That was comfy even though my knees had to be bent. Getting out required ample use of the grab rails though.

In my own bathroom I've now abandoned the idea of a bath going width-ways and instead thought outside the proverbial tub by having a longer but tapered bathtub installed length ways along the bathroom. The narrow foot end of the tub gives plenty of room for the loo installation along side. And the wider head end of the tub has a small corner sink installed next to it instead of a full width sink. It's a set up that works well for me but might not be great for everyone. The bathtub is painted galvanised steel and quite comfy, allowing a full stretch out without having knees bent up to my chest. Over it is a swivel mixer tap with shower hose combo.   It took a long while to find a decent quality galvo bathtub though. This sarcophagus shape is called a Cowboy bathtub. I've seen people turn normal oval galvanised tubs into baths too. 

My old 4ft bathtub had to go out the window since it wouldn't go out the door. That might be an option for getting a new one in to your boat, if it's not portholes, of course :D

Edited by BlueStringPudding

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:26, alan_fincher said:

Thanks all - some useful input, and most of it much in line with what I guessed people might say, though it's good to hear actual experiences.

Thanks to Tony for also pointing out this type....

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1596/product/wd-003.aspx

7012_450_450.jpg

.....which I was also aware of.

Perhaps I have just been unlucky, but where I have seen that type the installation has generally not looked very nice.  Lacking any kind of "roll over" edge, they have often been left with that hard edge showing and looking unattractive.

Has anybody managed to integrate these in a way that looks tidy?  Any chance of some pictures?

I must admit they smack a bit of hospital or care home facilities, (not wishing to be rude to those having them!).

Is this the type you say are prone to damage and discolouration, please, Jim?

This is similar to ours. I installed it crossways from the side to corridor panel. I placed it on a horseshoe of tantalised fence posts so the drain could be taken out of the open end. The high sides and back screwed to the panels, and I then mitred some 2"x 1" to follow the front cut out and the top side pieces, I then cut some 10mm ply to the shape of the front and pinned this to the battens. I then screwed this assembly to the bath from the inside, using a right angle moulding to cover the screws and the top of the panel. The bottom of the panel is fixed to a batten screwed to the floor The panel can then be finished with your wall covering of choice. I originally papered this to match the inside of the compartment, but have subsequently removed the panel, covered it in material to match the blind. The edges are all taken around the back of the panel before refitting it to the bath so that there is nothing to peel. Sorry, I'm not near the boat at present so can't take pictures.

Edited by Ex Brummie
add apology about pictures

We have a shortish, conventional style, bath in EmilyAnne. 

You can use it, and I have done, even though not a bath person is was ok. Mainly it's just a high sided shower tray. 

In steam we can heat water for free, but the tank isn't huge a the pump slowish to fill, if you wanted a soak rather than a splash about. 

It has also been used for washing the rug. 

Daniel

On 14/02/2018 at 21:03, alan_fincher said:

One of these should fit through that gap, plus if you fit a outboard on it you can use it as a tender. I beliive that Granville in Doncaster still has one in stock. Leroy counld run it down to you on the shop bike.

tin-bath-bottom.jpg 

• Greenie 1

I`ve installed a wetroom. Bathroom area divided athwart with upstand to ensure any outlet blockage stops overflow to remainder of room I purchase some made to measure bi-fold doors from a Spanish company which forms a 800mm x 800mm compartment to just keep some of the water away form the window,vanity unit and toilet. I made a bi-fold door to allow easy entry off the passage. I`ve a 6`2" headroom. Shower door had to be specially made as I wanted both sides to be bi-fold and didn`t realize until to late that 1750mm is the smallest height I could get which was necessary due to the slope of the roof.

20170727_101746_resized.jpg

20170727_101657_resized_1.jpg

20170727_101734_resized.jpg

20170727_101611_resized.jpg

20170727_101723_resized.jpg