Forum Search

Featured Posts

Question for the administrators on a topic already raised.

Is it really the intended behaviour that using the search facility on the forum produces (maybe) a full page of results based apparently on searching the entire Internet, before it lists any actual results from posts on the forum?

Example of searching for "Flamingo" (one of my boats)......

image.png.332fc8d8a06cbce4a5a6b68e2d17c043.png

This seems completely unhelpful, and I can't imagine why it is thought to be useful in any way.

Is something happening for me that others don't see, and, if so, how do I stop it, please?

However, if it is happening for everybody, is it really necessary, or can we go back to a situation where searching for any search term only produces results from the forum itself, please?

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I'm not a fully qualified moderator, but can't you just select "Topics" instead of "google" in the dropdown box?

Yes, but then you are I believe using the search built into the board software, rather than Google as the search engine.

I thought in the past we had been encouraged not to do that by the techical support people, (for resource reasons, I think?)

Another problem is you then get back the former limitations, such that if you search for a three letter string lipe LPG or gas, no results are returned.

I feel sure that for some length of time until quite recently using the default drop down when searching, did a Google search, but didn't insist on pasting as the first thing a whole set of hits that had nothing to do with Canal World.

Can we not get back to that?  I was happy with Google, (amd glad to be able to search 3 letter words at last!), but see no reason for the most recent change.

Edited by alan_fincher

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Besides, I'm not smart enough to be a Dom. My spellins appealing

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac philosopher? 

(People rarely tell that joke right, getting all four attributes into the question!)

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac philosopher? 

(People rarely tell that joke right, getting all four attributes into the question!)

Go on...................

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Can we not get back to that?  I was happy with Google, (amd glad to be able to search 3 letter words at last!), but see no reason for the most recent change.

I see what you mean.

(Steps aside an awaits a fully qualified mod)

The problem with this Google CSE plugin integration is that it's not quite as seamless as the one used in previous years. My personal experience of Google CSE is that it is more powerful than the default one but the integration between Google and us is not currently as seamless or intuitive as it should be.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, but then you are I believe using the search built into the board software, rather than Google as the search engine.

I thought in the past we had been encouraged not to do that by the techical support people, (for resource reasons, I think?)

Another problem is you then get back the former limitations, such that if you search for a three letter string lipe LPG or gas, no results are returned.

I feel sure that for some length of time until quite recently using the default drop down when searching, did a Google search, but didn't insist on pasting as the first thing a whole set of hits that had nothing to do with Canal World.

That would be ideal though not technically viable at this point. - Invision has recently promised great improvements to the default search functionality in the next minor version release. So changes to come in that regard. :)