Should my windows have drain holes if so can i add some?

Chas78

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

And now, back to Chas78 and his windows............... 

Well done on that Avatar! Best one of the day.

.....now windows. Those look like ours except ours look posher cause they are made of real gold. The main leakage point, i.e. The bit that fails is the neoprene foam strip on the vertical edges of the hole when you take out the opening bit of glass at the top. It looks intact but water can creep in. It's only a Ten minute job to replace providing Mrs Bob goes and gets all the bits, passes them to me, cleans up the mess and you lock the duck in the cratch  so he can't distract you. I have found both chandlers I have been in recently sold the foam strip so no excuse. All our widows are now watertight.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Well done on that Avatar! Best one of the day.

.....now windows. Those look like ours except ours look posher cause they are made of real gold. The main leakage point, i.e. The bit that fails is the neoprene foam strip on the vertical edges of the hole when you take out the opening bit of glass at the top. It looks intact but water can creep in. It's only a Ten minute job to replace providing Mrs Bob goes and gets all the bits, passes them to me, cleans up the mess and you lock the duck in the cratch  so he can't distract you. I have found both chandlers I have been in recently sold the foam strip so no excuse. All our widows are now watertight.

Ah yes, but how does the condensation caused by your heavy breathing drain away? Or does your ecofan sort it out! 

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ah yes, but how does the condensation caused by your heavy breathing drain away? Or does your ecofan sort it out! 

Yes the condensation is a bit of a bugger, but the microporous cloth works well as well as the dehumidifier while we are holed up in the marina. Looks like a nice weekend weather wise so we might go out for a spin. Quite a bit of condensation last night!

edit.....oh forgot. Ecofan useless for condensation. We sleep at the back of the boat. The fan doesn't.

Edited by Dr Bob

Thanks for that both don't fancy secondary glazing seems a lot of faffing about when my windows should be watertight as is i am going to use puraflex 40 to re-seal the windows not the foam stuff as i really rate the stuff and good value at 4 quid a tube but i'm still curious to whether i can put drain holes in the windows myself and if so why didn't they have them when made? anyway back to Jenny pmsl :wub: 

8837062772_6d9f015e97_h.jpg

• Love 3

7 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

Thanks for that both don't fancy secondary glazing seems a lot of faffing about when my windows should be watertight as is i am going to use puraflex 40 to re-seal the windows not the foam stuff as i really rate the stuff and good value at 4 quid a tube but i'm still curious to whether i can put drain holes in the windows myself and if so why didn't they have them when made? anyway back to Jenny pmsl :wub: 

8837062772_6d9f015e97_h.jpg

Jeeesus Chas have a heart its valentines day and I cant hack this anymore.................

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

but i'm still curious to whether i can put drain holes in the windows myself and if so why didn't they have them when made? anyway back to Jenny pmsl :wub: 

Without a drainage channel inside, i can't see how drilling holes would help

LOL my missus seen me post this and said your supposed to be thinking of me today not her i said i am i was :D

Just now, rusty69 said:

There is a little lip i will take some pics later ;)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

LOL my missus seen me post this and said your supposed to be thinking of me today not her i said i am i was :D

There is a little lip i will take some pics later ;)

Then of course there is always :wub:

j c.jpg

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Great book. Terrible film. 

She doesn't look quite the same in " Call the midwife " :blush: I of course am unchanged :D

17 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

Nah not my cup of tea :unsure:

Only cos the missus is watching you :lol:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its hard to tell from the phto but it looks to me as if what we now know is plastic trim is set back from the glass about one "gutter's" width. We need a phot looking down and from the inside.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Its hard to tell from the phto but it looks to me as if what we now know is plastic trim is set back from the glass about one "gutter's" width. We need a phot looking down and from the inside.

Agreed. Please post a pic @Chas78 (no more girls) 

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

She doesn't look quite the same in " Call the midwife " :blush: I of course am unchanged :D

She looks good in the book (well in my head anyway, always wearing a green dress) 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

Here are a few inside gutter pics :D

gutter 003.jpg

gutter 004.jpg

gutter 002.jpg

Difficult to tell from the pic,but I reckon,as you said, you don't have A.Gutter, so don't think drilling holes would work .

I Just measured ours at 10mm deep.

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Difficult to tell from the pic,but I reckon,as you said, you don't have A.Gutter, so don't think drilling holes would work .

Ok thanks anyway i am also wondering if i changed the screws to countersink put sealer in the thread holes and then put a beading over them after sealing the windows back in if all that fails i do think the window are fudged :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

Ok thanks anyway i am also wondering if i changed the screws to countersink put sealer in the thread holes and then put a beading over them after sealing the windows back in if all that fails i do think the window are fudged :unsure:

When we first got our boat (19 years ago now), most of the windows leaked.I removed them all one at a time 12 +2 ports and used silicone to reseal, and countersunk s/s screws. One or two are now showing signs of leaking again. I shall remove the offending ones in spring , and reseal again, although i will use something other that silicon. 

Are you sure your rubber seals are in good condition and not leaking.It would be a shame to take them all out to find out later that they too leak.

• Greenie 1

It looks to me as if the frames do have a very shallow inner up-stand so they do have a gutter of sorts but probably too small to contain much condensation, especially if the boat trims down by bow or stern. Drilling a drain hole at the lowest point in the frame MIGHT help but it might not as well and could easily result in a shattered glass.

From what I have seen I would suggest that the set-up would result in a lot of condensation running down the window and onto the wooden surround and from there into the bilge or into the boat.

If the frame has been resealed to the cabin side with suitable material and steps taken to seal the scrs I think any "leak" would be condensation at this time of year.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks for all the help and advice all taken on board and very much appreciated ;)