Should my windows have drain holes if so can i add some?

Chas78

Featured Posts

Hi All,

These are the leaky windows on my boat which i am still in the process of trying to seal but i notice there are no drain holes/vents in them? can i add some or are they supposed to be without them as most boat windows i have seen seem to have them?? 

windows 013.jpg

Edited by Chas78

23 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

there are no drain holes/vents in them?

They are similar to ours, but ours have a gutter which collects the water,and a couple of small drainage slits. I reckon with out the gutter it will be difficult. Have you got A gutter (and I don't mean Jenny A.Gutter)

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

Something looks odd in the photo around the bottom pane. Do they have some sort of double glazing fitted?

I am not commenting on your windows but in general drilling them in situ is difficult but not impossible with great care. Drill too high and you hit the glass. likely result a shattered window. Drill too low and you can easily puncture the bottom of the frame so any water leaks behind the lining or worse.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

They are similar to ours, but ours have a gutter which collects the water,and a couple of small drainage slits. I reckon with out the gutter it will be difficult. Have you got A gutter (and I don't mean Jenny A.Gutter)

There is no gutter:unsure: i thought Ms Agutter lol was beautiful in her youth :wub:  

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Something looks odd in the photo around the bottom pane. Do they have some sort of double glazing fitted?

I am not commenting on your windows but in general drilling them in situ is difficult but not impossible with great care. Drill too high and you hit the glass. likely result a shattered window. Drill too low and you can easily puncture the bottom of the frame so any water leaks behind the lining or worse.

Hi Tony,

No double glazing i see what you mean about drilling in situ i will have to remove them to re-seal them so will have a better look then think i will use puraflex 40 as i am impressed how it sealed my roof vent :D

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I see what you mean now no the white around the inside of the window is plastic finisher that the previous fitted to hide a multitude of sins including damp/wet around the frame which i hasten to add i have now removed.

38 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

What a marvellous invention the modern smartphone is. Having no idea who Susan is, I take a pic of my computer screen with smartphone,press a button and voila, all is revealed (no, not like that mrsmelly)

Your burgee is trailing the wrong way.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

What a marvellous invention the modern smartphone is. Having no idea who Susan is, I take a pic of my computer screen with smartphone,press a button and voila, all is revealed (no, not like that mrsmelly)

You need to buy a film called " straw dogs " not the modern remake rubbish the real one with Susan George in.

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Your burgee is trailing the wrong way.

Well almost. Beating hard to wind with apparent wind at 30 deg ish, sudden shift in wind and burgee is ok. That's no American bittern, i've got a pic of one of them. Give me 48 hrs to dig it out. Looks more like a duck.

Edited by Dr Bob