End of winter?

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Mr Smelly has been very quiet today. I guess he must be preparing for his cruise starting Friday. I was going to suggest we all go up to his Marina on Friday to wave him off then have a good party, but it looks like the snow will be far too thick to get there. Shame.:(

I heard a very reliable rumour from an ITK friend that he may have put his Summer cruise back to Sunday as he hasn't finished ironing his T shirts and Bermudas yet.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I heard a very reliable rumour from an ITK friend that he may have put his Summer cruise back to Sunday as he hasn't finished ironing his T shirts and Bermudas yet.

Hi Peeps :D We have gone away for a few days and are in Cornwall. It is beautiful with clear blue skies here. Now setting off on sunday or monday with the boat :cheers:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Mr Smelly has been very quiet today. I guess he must be preparing for his cruise starting Friday. I was going to suggest we all go up to his Marina on Friday to wave him off then have a good party, but it looks like the snow will be far too thick to get there. Shame.:(

Well I'd like to point out that here in Wiltshire it was -12c last night at 11pm and the cut was frozen. Tonight it has warmed up to a balmy -6c and oddly, all the ice on the cut has melted. 

Looks like I won't need to light the stove after all....

I left the boat on Sunday with the water system drained, and taps open. Also left the gas heater pilot light on, (weighed up the risks, and preferred to have a little heat, rather than frozen pipes, if possible).

Arrived on board at about 7pm. Water system all fine. Pilot light on and fine. CO detector showed the temp as 2C, and the fridge monitor showed 2.4C, having reached a minimum of 1.5C, (fridge off and door slightly open).

Got the gas warm air going, and lit the boatman...... CO detector showing 29C after not too long, (whoops!), and now down to a pleasant 24C :)

Canal mostly icy, but doesnt look thick.

Mrsmelly will be happy to know that winter seems to be ending here. The snow and ice are melting nicely. Still a biting wind though. Wouldn't want to be stood on the back of a narrowboat in it but would be more then happy on the back of NC with a warm mug of soup and the heating on whilst cruising down river.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Mrsmelly will be happy to know that winter seems to be ending here. The snow and ice are melting nicely. Still a biting wind though. Wouldn't want to be stood on the back of a narrowboat in it but would be more then happy on the back of NC with a warm mug of soup and the heating on whilst cruising down river.

As I said on the other thread, it will be raining on Sunday.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Still snowed in.  A tractor came through on the road yesterday, but unfortunately without a plough on, so leaving a high ridge in the centre. Still, it lets me take take the dogs up the road without going in up to my knees.  Dogfood shortage solved - swapped with the nearest neighbours two bottles of wine for a sack of dogfood. But no BEER left - considering ski-ing down to the pub (2 miles) tonight, but it's getting back will be the problem.......

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Still snowed in.  A tractor came through on the road yesterday, but unfortunately without a plough on, so leaving a high ridge in the centre. Still, it lets me take take the dogs up the road without going in up to my knees.  Dogfood shortage solved - swapped with the nearest neighbours two bottles of wine for a sack of dogfood. But no BEER left - considering ski-ing down to the pub (2 miles) tonight, but it's getting back will be the problem.......

You could take an Eco fan with you and strap it to your back with a T light burning under it to power you back up the hill?

• Haha 1

Why would you want to get back? Being snowed into the pub sounds idyllic!

Despite it being bitterly cold outside the snow and ice do seem to be melting quite nicely here.

Tomorrows task is driving to Liams dad's to borrow a shovel so that we can dig the Mini out and move it from the front of the garage door (steep drive down to the garage door and it won't reverse up in the snow). Then we can get our own shovels out and clear the snow from the path :rolleyes:

Ok now lets be fair I aint that far out am I. Its only the 5th of march and its fabulous here. We are unplugging the umbilicle and escaping the marina tomorrow which is going to be another fab day :D Bring it on!!

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ok now lets be fair I aint that far out am I. Its only the 5th of march and its fabulous here. We are unplugging the umbilicle and escaping the marina tomorrow which is going to be another fab day :D Bring it on!!

Still iced in further dawn sawff, but it is sunny and 11°C.

18 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Still iced in further dawn sawff, but it is sunny and 11°C.

We had expected our marina to be well frozen over at the weekend hence why we didn't bother going. But from pictures sent from friends who did go there was no ice on the water at all. Seemed very strange. There was snow and ice on the pontoons though so probably for the best that we didn't brave it. Bit cold for a swim at this time of year!

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Bon voyage

• Happy 1

39 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Maybe you have set off too soon. The Pest from the West is coming now :D

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/927537/UK-weather-warning-Met-Office-Atlantic-storm-snow-forecast

What a load of rubbish from the Express.

The jet stream is well well south of us at the moment so it will be unsettled with likely quite a bit of rain (especially in the South and Southwest) and wind over the weekend and onwards but not this scare story. The models are all over the place as usual for 5 days out so nothing is more than a 50/50 guess. Maybe the wording they use is accurate...compare 'pest' to 'beast'.

Image nicked from the Netweather forum!

pig3.thumb.jpg.a5772503ec08849625e53c385f09a042.jpg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

What a load of rubbish from the Express.

The jet stream is well well south of us at the moment so it will be unsettled with likely quite a bit of rain (especially in the South and Southwest) and wind over the weekend and onwards but not this scare story. The models are all over the place as usual for 5 days out so nothing is more than a 50/50 guess. Maybe the wording they use is accurate...compare 'pest' to 'beast'.

Image nicked from the Netweather forum!

pig3.thumb.jpg.a5772503ec08849625e53c385f09a042.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2015/apr/09/daily-express-weather-warning-beware-a-shower-of-extreme-inaccuracy

1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

Nice one! The Express is just changing hands, isn't it? But I don't suppose it will improve. When I was a kid, I remember the Express as being a middle class version of the Telegraph and quite well respected.

Meanwhile, how's this for fence sitting from the Met Office:

UK Outlook for Wednesday 21 Mar 2018 to Wednesday 4 Apr 2018:

A continuation of rather cold and unsettled conditions seems likely to continue through mid-March, with a risk of further snow at times. The snow will mainly be in the north, with the wettest conditions likely in central and southern parts of the UK. It may then stay unsettled and become milder, as westerly or southwesterly winds return. This is likely to bring wetter conditions in the northwest and drier conditions in the southeast. Temperatures will generally be around the average for the end of March and into early April. Drier, colder and more blocked conditions could still become re-establised at times.

Basically, "anything could happen, don't blame us if it does"!

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Maybe you have set off too soon. The Pest from the West is coming now :D

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/927537/UK-weather-warning-Met-Office-Atlantic-storm-snow-forecast

Its been fab today only saw four other boats moving all day and the weather has been fab. We can get three weeks in now then tie up over easter when the hobbiests come out before getting a few more weeks in before the dreaded school summer holidays :o