End of winter?

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Maybe in your neck of the wood - up here it's about the second week in August. 

You live in the Arctic circle though!

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Have one of mine then. :D

You may have more by tea!

I'd prefer some chocolate hobknobs

32 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Only.on your calendar!  For everyone else Spring starts in March.

have you not heard of Global warming/Climate change? its on the news all the time. All summers now start first of march and the temperature will not drop below 80 whatsits in the UK.

On 17/02/2018 at 11:38, mrsmelly said:

I have reported at least twice already in this thread that summer starts on march first........we hope to set off second or third so that means summer starts in a fortnight how many more times do you need telling :rolleyes:

Half of the weather models are now predicting sub zero temps (during the day) from beginning of next week and lasting at least 7 days. If that comes to pass then you aint going nowhere a week Sunday. We'll have 3ft of ice on the cut. Below  is one of the model predictions (the GFS model) which is one of the top 5 models that the met office use. This is all down to the sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) event from last weekend. The graph shows various model runs of temperature at 850 hPa (which is metric for millibars IIRC) so that is the temp a bit up in the air but you can see how much lower than it is today by end of next week. The location for this graph is Manchester. If the black line came to pass, then we would be in for -2°C high daytime temps and maybe down to -8°C at night in places. Most of the models are predicting the cold but half are suggesting slightly warmer than the GFS. None of the models have a clue what is likely to happen past 10 days out.

Last time I remember this type of blocking pattern was in the early 80's when we were living in Cardiff and after 2 weeks of sub zero blocking, a warm front came in, stalled over us and dumped 3 ft of snow on us, which closed everything down for 3-4 days. The models arent showing any snow at the moment.

....so maybe plan another few days before you set off!

...as I have said previously, we are all doomed.

graphe3_1000_238_24___.gif

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Half of the weather models are now predicting sub zero temps (during the day) from beginning of next week and lasting at least 7 days. If that comes to pass then you aint going nowhere a week Sunday. We'll have 3ft of ice on the cut. Below  is one of the model predictions (the GFS model) which is one of the top 5 models that the met office use. This is all down to the sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) event from last weekend. The graph shows various model runs of temperature at 850 hPa (which is metric for millibars IIRC) so that is the temp a bit up in the air but you can see how much lower than it is today by end of next week. The location for this graph is Manchester. If the black line came to pass, then we would be in for -2°C high daytime temps and maybe down to -8°C at night in places. Most of the models are predicting the cold but half are suggesting slightly warmer than the GFS. None of the models have a clue what is likely to happen past 10 days out.

Last time I remember this type of blocking pattern was in the early 80's when we were living in Cardiff and after 2 weeks of sub zero blocking, a warm front came in, stalled over us and dumped 3 ft of snow on us, which closed everything down for 3-4 days. The models arent showing any snow at the moment.

....so maybe plan another few days before you set off!

...as I have said previously, we are all doomed.

graphe3_1000_238_24___.gif

They are obviously WRONG :rolleyes: B) see I am trying my sun specs out ready for the off.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They are obviously WRONG :rolleyes: B) see I am trying my sun specs out ready for the off.

I suspect it is you that is wrong this time.

Summer is going to be the last couple of days of March, first couple of days of April, July 20th to August 5th and October 6th to October 14th.

I have ordered it already :D

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Monday morning lie in

top the stove up and scrape the ice off the inside of the windows day

Yep, that's the forum I look at each day. Quite depressing as all the posters there are looking for cold and snow. I guess it is just the extremes that wind their clocks. I dont know why they dont all move up to the Grampians.