Canalside cratch cover repairers

Grassman

Featured Posts

I'm looking to have some  'while you wait' minor cratch cover repairs done somewhere alongside a canal. Just the starboard side re-stitched on the ridge where it meets the cabin roof,  and the top toggles changed to straps because the wind stretches the elastic toggles which then dislodges the cover from the corners and also makes the cover sag.

I'm based in the Fradley Junction area but in May I will be going on the T&M towards Nottingham, then the River Soar/GU Leicester branch, then south on the GU to London. So anywhere along that route would do.

Any recommendations please?

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

I'm looking to have some  'while you wait' minor cratch cover repairs done somewhere alongside a canal. Just the starboard side re-stitched on the ridge where it meets the cabin roof,  and the top toggles changed to straps because the wind stretches the elastic toggles which then dislodges the cover from the corners and also makes the cover sag.

I'm based in the Fradley Junction area but in May I will be going on the T&M towards Nottingham, then the River Soar/GU Leicester branch, then south on the GU to London. So anywhere along that route would do.

Any recommendations please?

Topps covers is in the old Natwest bank in Sileby, will probably fix for you if you take it up there.

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you were coming closer to Lincoln I would suggest Chris Potts at Marine and Industrial Covers. The only place we will use for canopies and upholstery.

Excellent company and quality products.

He came out to give us a quote, a week later we gave him the go-ahead and he came back out to take accurate measurements.

Came back a few days later with a 'rough' framework and canvas and marked up as required.

Came out a week later with a 90% finished pram hood and frame - fitted frame and marked up the final positioning for press-studs on the canvas and the boat.

Came back a few days later and everything was fitted - and a perfect fit it was.

Extremely happy with it - being a cruiser stern I had asked for the skirts to run over the sides so rainwater actually ran completely off - on a previous boat the skirts stopped flush with the deck and allowed rainwater to creep under and onto the cruiser stern and eventually into the engine 'ole.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Excellent company and quality products.

He came out to give us a quote, a week later we gave him the go-ahead and he came back out to take accurate measurements.

Came back a few days later with a 'rough' framework and canvas and marked up as required.

Came out a week later with a 90% finished pram hood and frame - fitted frame and marked up the final positioning for press-studs on the canvas and the boat.

Came back a few days later and everything was fitted - and a perfect fit it was.

Extremely happy with it - being a cruiser stern I had asked for the skirts to run over the sides so rainwater actually ran completely off - on a previous boat the skirts stopped flush with the deck and allowed rainwater to creep under and onto the cruiser stern and eventually into the engine 'ole.

Indeed. We just won't use anyone else. Not the cheapest but IMO you will struggle to find a better canopy maker or upholsterer. 

You get a quality product that lasts well. Our current canopies he made are in their 7th year now and are still in excellent condition. By stark contrast when we bought our boat it was 5 years old and the original canopies were pretty shot.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

A &  J Canopies in Braunston are not far off that route, but they had a 6 month waiting list when I got them to quote on a new cratch cover in October.

Yes they are usually busy, but if it is only a small replair, may I suggest that you visit them (don't phone) and ask very nicely, they may well agree to do the repair while you wait ,or agree a day. They have done that for me several times , but I always bought my covers from them, so I was a "returning custiomer".

There seems to be quite a market for in situ cratch cover repairs, because taking the whole cover off and taking it to someone for repair, then going back to get it and putting it back on is a total ball-ache. Especially as all your stuff under it will possibly get wet/nicked.

No-one so far has suggested anyone actually doing them.

Wayne, are you reading this?

40 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There seems to be quite a market for in situ cratch cover repairs, because taking the whole cover off and taking it to someone for repair, then going back to get it and putting it back on is a total ball-ache. Especially as all your stuff under it will possibly get wet/nicked.

No-one so far has suggested anyone actually doing them.

Wayne, are you reading this?

Wayne's advert could say "Have industrial sewing machine, will travel" :lol:

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Wayne's advert could say "Have industrial sewing machine, will travel" :lol:

The problem of course is, sewing up a cratch in-situ means hand stitching. Very time consuming and inherently less neat than machine stitching. Fitting/repairing eyelets, poppers, rings etc in-situ rather than on therbench in a workshop is also a completely different kettle of fish.

Someone developing their own techniques for these things would probably be able to earn a living at it in my opinion. Every other cratch cover out there needs something fixing on it.

Thanks for your replies boys and girls. I want an in-situ repair partly to save having to remove the cratch cover and also to have the strap fixings attached to the top sides of the cabin, something which I don't want to try doing myself.

There used to be a chap in my area (Fradley) who come to you to do minor repairs but he has now retired.

I could call in at A J Canopies at Braunston and see if they can do it, although it would mean a slight diversion to my route. I would have the time to wait there a day or two if necessary while they tried to fit me in.

16 hours ago, Stitchmilitz said:

Hi there 

thanks for the add ,I am a floating trader,I do cratch cover repairs restitching,zip repairs and replacement,etc

i am in Alrewas and then going back to Fradley then onto coventry 

Cheers Stitchmilitz 

When will you be at Fradley Junction as I could meet you there either Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday? 

Edited by Grassman

Hi,  We can do repairs.  I was actually up by Barton turns yesterday, but only just noticed this post.

We do a collect and return service or if you want to come to us by car, Approx 50 mins away we can do it while you wait.

Or If you cruise down this way (Stourbridge,Kinver,Stourton,Wombourne etc) we can turn it round in no time .

On 13/02/2018 at 17:38, Mike the Boilerman said:

The problem of course is, sewing up a cratch in-situ means hand stitching. Very time consuming and inherently less neat than machine stitching. Fitting/repairing eyelets, poppers, rings etc in-situ rather than on therbench in a workshop is also a completely different kettle of fish.

Someone developing their own techniques for these things would probably be able to earn a living at it in my opinion. Every other cratch cover out there needs something fixing on it.

Hi,  We can replace all fittings in situ to the same standard as bench work as we have the correct portable tools to do the job, On site stitching is another thing altogether.