Good engine room degreaser while boat is occupied

Featured Posts

We also live on board and use gunk hose it down then pump out putting waste dirty water into cans to dispose of properly then soak up whats left wih cheap nappies, has worked for me for past four years.

Why does living on the boat preclude the use of Gunk?

(Just curious).

We had exceedingly bad problems to try and address on Flamingo, with many decades of oily silt over everything.

Most of the products suggested on the forum, including Jizer and Gunk were only of limited effectiveness despite many applications, but our situation was probably a lot worse than in leisure boats of a younger age.

Gunk Ultra proved to be quite a bit more effective than ordinary Gunk, (but at a cost!)

A quick and easy option (but not necessarily the best) is Flash Floor Cleaner diluted in half the recommended amount of water.  Apply using a hand sprayer but bear in mind it is water based so you will need to dry and protect anything that will rust.  

For heavy dirt, paraffin is good.

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

I did mine with this - brilliant stuff! I don't remember it having much in the way of fumes.  I put it in a spray bottle, sprayed it on, rubbed it over with a washing up brush, rinsed then sucked the water out with a wet n dry vac. 

Edited by Psycloud

3 hours ago, jnrhacksaw said:

The smell of gunk makes me want to puke!

You need to get something like rusty69 is now wearing in his avatar then........

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

There are a #of citrus based degreasers on the market Blaster seems to be used by a good few folk in the restoration of vintage vehicles

All I can say is trying citrus based cleaners on the very bad situation we had in Flamingo produced almost no effect at all.  That said I suspect we were dealing with far worse than most people are attempting.

3 hours ago, X Alan W said:

There are a #of citrus based degreasers on the market Blaster seems to be used by a good few folk in the restoration of vintage vehicles

We used Citaclean when I worked offshore as a replacement for Jizza I don't know if THIS is the same stuff, ours was in 205 lt drums

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

You need to get something like rusty69 is now wearing in his avatar then........

All I can say is trying citrus based cleaners on the very bad situation we had in Flamingo produced almost no effect at all.  That said I suspect we were dealing with far worse than most people are attempting.

You were possibly" suffering" congealed semi dried hard "crud" I used a citrus based cleaner & a hot water pressure washer that resulted in a spotless engine from a 19RB excavator that had been gobbing oil out for possibly 20 or more years could have been the washer that contributed a good part of the cleaning

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Would a steam wallpaper stripper help soften the crud?

I doubt it because they are usually a largish flat plate to hold against the wall.

A hand held stem cleaning device as advertised on selling TV would probably help because it has a nozzle, jet and an assortment of brushes.