Mildew under mattress

Hopcott17

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

To stay warm:D

We stay lovely and warm without the need to have the heating running all night. 

We have it on a timer so that it comes on an hour or so before we get up. 

It gets too hot if we leave the heating running all night!!

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

We stay lovely and warm without the need to have the heating running all night. 

We have it on a timer so that it comes on an hour or so before we get up. 

It gets too hot if we leave the heating running all night!!

I understand. 

Perhaps it's not the same for @brassedoff and he has @brassmonkeys.

Brassed off, rather than keeping heating on all night, buy a better sleeping bag which will keep you warm . Also, are all your windows shut when you go to bed? If so, that will increase the dampness inside the boat. Trying leaving a few open (on the non windward side) and see if it helps.

haggis

14 minutes ago, haggis said:

Brassed off, rather than keeping heating on all night, buy a better sleeping bag which will keep you warm . Also, are all your windows shut when you go to bed? If so, that will increase the dampness inside the boat. Trying leaving a few open (on the non windward side) and see if it helps.

haggis

I already have a 15tog duvae and a dog but I will try leaving a window open.

Thanks Haggis.

Just now, brassedoff said:

I already have a 15tog duvae and a dog but I will try leaving a window open.

Thanks Haggis.

Best leave two windows open as the dog will be breathing and producing moisture too :-) . Try two duvets? 

haggis

• Happy 1

We used to keep warm with a thick duvet and Welsh blanket  for years and years, as our boat like yours, has the bed at the opposite end as the stove. Eventually we fitted a second stove, and now is too bloody hot. 

Edited by rusty69

I think you will find mildew under a mattress has nothing to do with damp in the air or general ventilation,  it is the moisture from your body going down and condensing out on the cooler bed base. Unless you can get that ventilation between you and the base or keep the base as warm as your body you wont cure it.

edit

The dry mat or synthetic horse hair both allow air to move between the mattress and the base, which is what slats and holes in the base do as well

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

How did you get on with the Drymat?

Really well. It arrived straight away, took 5 mins to lay under the mattress, no need to cut as I just folded the excess underneath.......and no condensation wotever since. Yes, it is working 100% and there had been quite a bit of condensation. Cost £50 or so but well worth it. I was going to post it on this thread but couldnt find it again!

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That is a good service.I usually at the very very best have to wait until the following day.

I got it on the friday - cause that's what the post said - but I cant remember which day I ordered it, so rather than say 'next day' or in 'two days', I thought 'straight away' was the safest. Obviously it wasnt! I seem to remember it was  pretty quick.:)

16 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Really well. It arrived straight away, took 5 mins to lay under the mattress, no need to cut as I just folded the excess underneath.......and no condensation wotever since. Yes, it is working 100% and there had been quite a bit of condensation. Cost £50 or so but well worth it. I was going to post it on this thread but couldnt find it again!

Good to hear it's working well. I bought some 3 years ago thinking it was 'snake oil' but was most impressed that it worked as advertised. Much better than slats. Not cheap but well worth it.

On 12/02/2018 at 13:04, Naughty Cal said:

This stuff is reputed to work very well:

http://shipshapebedding.co.uk/shop/dry-mat

Yes, I thoroughly recommend this stuff, in fact I swear by it - though ours was from http://www.piplers.co.uk/dry-mat-under-mattress-anti-moisture-layer

Our bed goes length-ways along the boat, with me sleeping under the gunnel which used to be flipping freezing. The 'Dry Mat' now starts (on the side) under the gunnel, and down, under the mattress. On the side (under the gunnel) on top of the 'Dry Mat' are cushion pads, making the bed cosy. 

We now don't have any condensation.