Mildew under mattress

Hopcott17

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

As above or drill a series oh holes approx 2" dia with a hole saw  There used to be a product like a coarse hairy mat that you could put under the mattress a google may give you a name

That is the synthetic horse hair, I found the drymat better

You could try insulating the board/space underneath, and for now you might want to lift the mattess every couple of days to air the base. The gloss painted finish won't be helping, untreated wood will breathe better. 

2 hours ago, BWM said:

You could try insulating the board/space underneath, and for now you might want to lift the mattess every couple of days to air the base. The gloss painted finish won't be helping, untreated wood will breathe better. 

We lifted ours every day and still had problems at first

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is the synthetic horse hair, I found the drymat better

That's what we had on our lumpy water boat. It looked like horse hair but made of rubber. Not sure if that is drymat? It worked really well. The blurb said it pumped the water saturated air vapor out when you moved in the bed. So we bought some. The more you moved the less the condensation (due to the more air pumping). You can guess the conversations I had with Mrs Bob! I can't tell a lie, but we didn't get much condensation after that. 

Just started to notice condensation now with our steel coffin, with the mattress on a plywood sheet ( or four). May go with drilling more holes as the exercise generating pumping may not work now we have a duck. Mrs Bob is keen not to expose said duck to too much pumping. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Just started to notice condensation now with our steel coffin, with the mattress on a plywood sheet ( or four). May go with drilling more holes as the exercise generating pumping may not work now we have a duck. Mrs Bob is keen not to expose said duck to too much pumping. 

You sure it's condensation and not a partly potty trained plastic duck? 

12 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Mount the eco fan under it. 

No the dry mat is not the same as the horse hair, I found the drymat better that the rubber hair stuff but not much.

Added links

Horse hair  

Drymat

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mount the eco fan under it. 

No the dry mat is not the same as the horse hair, I found the drymat better that the rubber hair stuff but not much.

Thanks Brian, I will have a look at getting some dry mat. Well done to the OP for starting this thread.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks Brian, I will have a look at getting some dry mat. Well done to the OP for starting this thread.

Dry-mat is excellent and much better than slats.  I think the rubber hair stuff is call Hairlok and was used in upholstery, car and aircraft seats etc.

• Happy 1

Edwardian bedding sell a product which i have found works very well.unfortuantly its not cheap,but you get what you pay for.

Edwardian bedding sell a product which i have found works very well.unfortuantly its not cheap,but you get what you pay for.

Another vote for the dry mat here. We had terrible problems with the back cabin bed on our last boat, if we didn't light the stove the mattress would be soaking wet underneath by morning. With the dry mat it was completely dry.

As the bed flap folded up during the day, we couldn't drill any ventilation holes in it, but used spray adhesive to stick the dry mat down and stop it sliding around. 

15 hours ago, frygood said:

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Edwardian Bedding are a good good good company.

17 hours ago, frygood said:

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Edwardian Bedding are a good good good company.

Oh dear Athy, one unfortuant posting error error and all you can do is mock! Woe, woe and thrice woe.

:P

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh dear Athy, one unfortuant posting error error and all you can do is mock! Woe, woe and thrice woe.

:P

If I have offended you, my marine canine colleague, I'm so so so sorry.

I'm still trying to shake off this blasted virus and anything which cheers me up a bit helps! 

On 12/02/2018 at 13:04, Naughty Cal said:

This stuff is reputed to work very well:

http://shipshapebedding.co.uk/shop/dry-mat

I would be looking at why you are getting so much condensation as well though and trying to cut that down.

Do you have wet bilges for example?

Mine is sat on a plywood base with no underneath ventilation - below the ply is the pump out tank and gaps to the bilge...there have been signs of damp on the wood but that is down to a leaky vent from above (my excuse ;):D but no real damp issues & mattress fine even after quite a few years of varying use / ventilation.

New mattress required when I can afford it but for different reasons......just sounds a bit strange to be so damp given the lack of use before I bought mine.

38 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Mine is sat on a plywood base with no underneath ventilation - below the ply is the pump out tank and gaps to the bilge...there have been signs of damp on the wood but that is down to a leaky vent from above (my excuse ;):D but no real damp issues & mattress fine even after quite a few years of varying use / ventilation.

New mattress required when I can afford it but for different reasons......just sounds a bit strange to be so damp given the lack of use before I bought mine.

It comes from your body not in the boat https://www.nestbedding.com/blogs/news/6926850-why-is-it-damp-under-my-memory-foam-mattress

4 hours ago, Athy said:

If I have offended you, my marine canine colleague, I'm so so so sorry.

I'm still trying to shake off this blasted virus and anything which cheers me up a bit helps! 

You may have misunderstood me (I'm not really sure!) but be assured that there's no offence taken here...

or here....

or here!

:D

(get well soon)

• Greenie 1

On 2/12/2018 at 16:21, system 4-50 said:

Bought my slats from IKEA. Have adjustable springiness.

Doesn't ornery plain softwood from your local timber merchant do the job just as well? The springiness depends on the section of the timber, the length, and the spacing of the slats. From memory ours are about 90×18 mm and are arranged 'hit and miss' to give roughly 50% open area overall. Never had a problem with condensation under the mattress.   

Edited by Machpoint005

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Doesn't ornery plain softwood from your local timber merchant do the job just as well? The springiness depends on the section of the timber, the length, and the spacing of the slats. From memory ours are about 90×18 mm and are arranged 'hit and miss' to give roughly 50% open area overall. Never had a problem with condensation under the mattress.   

Quite possibly. I was lazy and bought ready-made because it was theoretically easier. However, I should have taken into account visiting IKEA so maybe it wasn't.  

Even with lattice wood I have some damp patches.

My thinking is I can't keep an eberspacher running all night to stay warm.

I won't ever have enough money to buy a new boat but if I did I would put the stove in the middle of the boat.

Edit to add my calotifier is under the bed but it's still moist in the bedroom.

10 hours ago, brassedoff said:

I won't ever have enough money to buy a new boat but if I did I would put the stove in the middle of the boat.

Why would you need to keep the Ebersplutter running all night?

We never run ours overnight, it gets too hot for one thing. But we still don't get damp under the mattress which is over the water tank.

13 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We never run ours overnight, it gets too hot for one thing. But we still don't get damp under the mattress which is over the water tank.

I have a bigger boat With the radiators in the middle /front of the boat and I sleep at the back.

10 hours ago, brassedoff said:

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

To stay warm:D

Edited by rusty69