Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Hopcott17

Mildew under mattress

Featured Posts

Hi,

Just bought a new mattress and it seems to be collecting mould at an alarming rate underneath!! 

Does anyone have any remedies or homemade DIY tips to stop the condensation in a boat getting to the matttress. Dont fancy buying  a new one every 6 months!

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hopcott17 said:

Hi,

Just bought a new mattress and it seems to be collecting mould at an alarming rate underneath!! 

Does anyone have any remedies or homemade DIY tips to stop the condensation in a boat getting to the matttress. Dont fancy buying  a new one every 6 months!

Cheers

 

 

I'm not sure if this helps, but this article provides details of the necessary conditions fo mould growth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew

Without more details of ventilation, what the matress (type?) is resting on etc it's difficult to suggest anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine did that till I changed the base it rested on to slats with plenty of ventilation underneath.  On a solid bit of wood it's going to happen.

  • Happy 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry shouldve given more details!!

Its on a solid plywood base with gloss finish. Underneath there are 4 compartments for clothes etc. PPretty much the only ventilation is 4 2" holes which are used to lift the base up.

 Mattress - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5746039

So the bed is made to fit into the shell but only via wood. Do you guysd tuink its best to get a holesaw and drill lines or to remove the bases and put slats in. 

In the meantime - anything to remove condensation in the boat as a whole? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holesaw?

6 minutes ago, Hopcott17 said:

In the meantime - anything to remove condensation in the boat as a whole?

Lots of ventilation or a de-humidifier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mattress is a fairly old sprung one with a thin memory foam topper, its on a solid ply base, exactly the senario that should cause problems and in 15 years I have never had any mildrew issues.

I have no idea why not, apart from being a lazy bugger I never make the bed and the duvet is normally just pushed to one side, leaving my "nest" exposed to the air.

Saying all that, drilling holes in the bed ply is on my jobs list, just very very far down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tree monkey said:

My mattress is a fairly old sprung one with a thin memory foam topper, its on a solid ply base, exactly the senario that should cause problems and in 15 years I have never had any mildrew issues.

2 new mattresses in 6 months :( 

Must remember - need ventilation!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

This stuff is reputed to work very well:

http://shipshapebedding.co.uk/shop/dry-mat

I would be looking at why you are getting so much condensation as well though and trying to cut that down.

Do you have wet bilges for example?

Yeah, it will fill up when it rains but i have an automatic pump to pump out if it reaches a certain level. Its at the opposite side on the boat to my bedroom though.

That link looks great - thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hopcott17 said:

Yeah, it will fill up when it rains but i have an automatic pump to pump out if it reaches a certain level. Its at the opposite side on the boat to my bedroom though.

That link looks great - thanks!

You will probably find that there is a lot of water that the bilge pump doesn't get out. Get down there with a wet vac and get it all out. You want to try and keep the boat as dry as possible in order to keep the condensation and mildew at bay.

It does sound like you have quite a problem with it to ruin a mattress in six months!!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

This stuff is reputed to work very well:

http://shipshapebedding.co.uk/shop/dry-mat

I would be looking at why you are getting so much condensation as well though and trying to cut that down.

Do you have wet bilges for example?

I had a similar problem and got some dry-mat and it really does work. It's not cheap but neither are mattresses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hopcott17 said:

Sorry shouldve given more details!!

Its on a solid plywood base with gloss finish. Underneath there are 4 compartments for clothes etc. PPretty much the only ventilation is 4 2" holes which are used to lift the base up.

 Mattress - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5746039

So the bed is made to fit into the shell but only via wood. Do you guysd tuink its best to get a holesaw and drill lines or to remove the bases and put slats in. 

In the meantime - anything to remove condensation in the boat as a whole? 

Get rid of the ply and fit slats.

  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice to bed wetters.     Its safer to use a hot water bottle than an electric blanket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hopcott17 said:

Sorry shouldve given more details!!

Its on a solid plywood base with gloss finish. Underneath there are 4 compartments for clothes etc. PPretty much the only ventilation is 4 2" holes which are used to lift the base up.

 Mattress - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5746039

So the bed is made to fit into the shell but only via wood. Do you guysd tuink its best to get a holesaw and drill lines or to remove the bases and put slats in. 

In the meantime - anything to remove condensation in the boat as a whole? 

We had exactly the same problem.  Ended up buying slats like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Double-Bed-Size-Slats-Bed-Slats-For-Replacement-4FT-121-5-cm/221364383996?hash=item338a5870fc:g:028AAOxydlFS6WRg and placing those on 3 full length 2"x2" softwood (which i varnished) runners  https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Whitewood-PSE-44-x-44-x-2400mm/p/9000036452 which on turn are raised slightly off the plywood base. You could use treated runners I suppose.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Bought my slats from IKEA. Have adjustable springiness.

Slat-pack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like i'm heading to Ikea this weekend - might leave the missus on the boat otherwise the boat will be filled with candles!! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dry mat stuff worked for us. Also drilled a few 30mm holes in the base board, ~ 18 inch spacing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

This stuff is reputed to work very well:

http://shipshapebedding.co.uk/shop/dry-mat

I would be looking at why you are getting so much condensation as well though and trying to cut that down.

Do you have wet bilges for example?

It does work. we can't put ventilation slats on our bed so we have used this for about 10 years, maybe a bit more after trying all sorts of things from corrugated cardboard to imitation horse hair including ally bubble wrap stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Mine did that till I changed the base it rested on to slats with plenty of ventilation underneath.  On a solid bit of wood it's going to happen.

As above or drill a series oh holes approx 2" dia with a hole saw  There used to be a product like a coarse hairy mat that you could put under the mattress a google may give you a name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Who are you calling a slat?

The only Slat i know is Slat-i- bart-fast.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The only Slat i know is Slat-i- bart-fast.

Oh I know him, he's a (very, very) distant relative. He lives in aisle 47 at Edmonton IKEA. With the rest of the Slats.

Edited by system 4-50
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.