Little One

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't know if any of the stuff this chap does is any use to anyone https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxfS18VYnZgg2rrJgzuX98w

I'v had a quick flick through his videos. There are a few good ones which i'v saved for later. After tackling these cabin strings for Effingham. Think my next project is maybe fenders. 

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

According to my 1967 issue Admiralty Manual of Seamanship, on the subject of  fibre ropes (wire ropes are something completely other)  Cable laid rope is made up of 3 strands laid together and Hawser laid rope is three cable laid ropes laid up together.

(snip)

Interesting: I've always thought cable was three or four right hand laid ropes laid up left handed. 

We used cable laid cotton as our snubber (90' tow line) with our freight boats. Not the traditional line to use, but it was very easy to handle and extremely hard wearing. Cable lay is basically where each of the 3 strands is itself made up of three strands. I've still got a 90' line now which must have done well over a hundred trips Brentford to Boxmoor and eventually then into retirement on our barge in France (though it didn't get much use there as it wasn't really suitable. I used a lighter version for cabin strings and most other bits and pieces too, including the ornamental work on the elum of course.

On the ropes and knots page of my site http://www.bargehandling.com/Bargehandling.com/BARGE_HANDLING_BLOG/Entries/2016/11/8_Knots_and_whatnot.html is a link to a free download of Ashley's book http://www.libramar.net/news/the_ashley_book_of_knots/2011-05-20-414

Tam

Little One,  Have you come across Arthur Beale, http://www.arthurbeale.co.uk/acatalog/index.html, of Shaftesbury Avenue, in London?

In case you don't know them, they have a tiny shop around the corner from Covent Garden Tube station.This is an absolute Aladdin's cave of boaty stuff(admittedly more yachty than canal- boaty), but they do stock an impressive range of soft cotton line in various sizes, ideal for decorative work.

I'm sure they do mail order, but if you can think of an excuse for going to London, they're well worth a visit.

5 minutes ago, DRP said:

Little One,  Have you come across Arthur Beale, http://www.arthurbeale.co.uk/acatalog/index.html, of Shaftesbury Avenue, in London?

In case you don't know them, they have a tiny shop around the corner from Covent Garden Tube station.This is an absolute Aladdin's cave of boaty stuff(admittedly more yachty than canal- boaty), but they do stock an impressive range of soft cotton line in various sizes, ideal for decorative work.

I'm sure they do mail order, but if you can think of an excuse for going to London, they're well worth a visit.

It's the first time i'v heard of them. I will have to flick through the website. Unforuntly London is a little far for me! Hopefully we are planning a trip on the themes next year. So there will be a lot of backwards an forwards on trains whilst we get the boat there. Might be a nice diversion for a couple of hours or so.

43 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

This is a link to a thread I started some time ago on cabin strings, there were a few recommendations on books and some instructions posted. I did buy the RYA Knots, Splices and Ropework book.

Yes, I had seen this thread. I have been trying to understand the written instruction, it was what got me started on the cabin ropes. I worked out last night where I was going wrong with my crowning. It was how i was holding my rope to crown, and effectively I was doing it the wrong way. I have been sent some instruction with the visial image to now. i'm just waiting for my rope to turn up now and try again.

9 hours ago, Little One said:

After tackling these cabin strings for Effingham. Think my next project is maybe fenders. 

I do not think I have ever seen cabin strings on a Pimblott motor, and this might be due to the rearward position of the chimney (they are often fixed to the same cabin top fastening that the chimney chain attaches to). My view is that they will look a bit odd on EFFINGHAM, but if you do plenty of practice and make them really fancy I might let you donate them for OTLEY - otherwise I will just buy them from Tradline, Braunston for £19:95 :captain:

1 minute ago, pete harrison said:

I do not think I have ever seen cabin strings on a Pimblott motor, and this might be due to the rearward position of the chimney (they are often fixed to the same cabin top fastening that the chimney chain attaches to). My view is that they will look a bit odd on EFFINGHAM, but if you do plenty of practice and make them really fancy I might let you donate them for OTLEY - otherwise I will just buy them from Tradline, Braunston for £19:95 :captain:

Hi Pete, 

We have a photo of her with some on, this is what has inspired me to get practising them. Will have to wait an see how they turn out.

28000907_775995672591979_2007842738_n.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, DRP said:

Blimey, if this is a first attempt, what will they be like when you've had a bit of practice?!

You'll have 'em queueing up the towpath.

Well done.

Thank you! I have had a second attempt today. They look better. But I still can't grasp the middle string, how to do the top part. 

20180218_125403.jpg