Bilateral Worlds.

brassedoff

Featured Posts

Living on the Canal with social mixing difficulties for the last few years I have come to a point where walking on roads is quite difficult and scary with cars and wagons passing so close, it's like I live in another world away from people.

It's relief to get back on the muddy tow path. (Back to safety)

I never use to talk to people before I got on the canal but now it's like two worlds when I walk on the roads.

I ignore them because they might hurt me.

Weird post I know...

Edited by brassedoff

12 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

Living on the Canal with social mixing difficulties for the last few years I have come to a point where walking on roads is quite difficult and scary with cars and wagons passing so close, it's like I live in another world away from people.

I never use to talk to people before I got on the canal but now it's like two worlds when I walk on the roads.

Weird post I know...

I do know what you mean. 

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

Weird post I know...

This is a lot more normal than you might think. We are often told that we should fit into a certain type of box, want certain things out of life and do what other tell us is normal; and if we don't we some how doubt our selves. But you're probably doing better than you think. I use noise cancelling earphones when I have to walk round the town, they help a lot but I wouldn't use them to walk on main road.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Best exemplified when cruising along a canal under or beside a busy roadway, like the A38 alongside the t and m.

Vehicles continually streaming past at high speed whilst you pootle along, with an accompanying caucofony of traffic noise.

Then when you peel away towards Alrewas on the river section all is calm again. The silence is almost deafening.

Edited by MJG

7 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

I think I am a hermit

I think this about myself too. Nothing I like better than frittering away a whole day sitting inside my bote, snoozing, tending the stove, baking some bread, posting some rubbish on here and on the gas engineer forum, playing my geetar, never going outside.  

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think this about myself too. Nothing I like better than frittering away a whole day sitting inside my bote, snoozing, tending the stove, baking some bread, posting some rubbish on here and on the gas engineer forum, playing my geetar, never going outside.  

Sounds bloody good to me Mr B.

Just town it down after 12pm, or I'll run my air cooled lister at your back doors. Lol

• Greenie 1

Wagons?? But I know what you mean about the contrasting pace of the canals and the modern world.

I only get to spend a total of about 2-3 months of each year on the canals, and outside of that I live on the edge of London, which has millions of people busy moving about, though probably only averaging about 10mph when they do so by road. Trains and the Tube are faster. But each time I finish a canal trip I really notice the contrast in speed. One day in October at the end of ten days of pottering about on the Thames, speed limit 8kph, I was helping to unload some bags of coal in a quiet spot on the river at Caversham, then within 30 minutes of completing that I was on a train from Reading to Paddington doing over 100mph. It did feel a bit weird.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

Sounds bloody good to me Mr B.

Just town it down after 12pm, or I'll run my air cooled lister at your back doors. Lol

Omigod air cooled Lister? And you’re telling ME to tone it down??? I’ll have to initiate you into the delights of a proper engine like a Kelvin or a Samofa ;) 

3 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Wagons?? But I know what you mean about the contrasting pace of the canals and the modern world.

I only get to spend a total of about 2-3 months of each year on the canals, and outside of that I live on the edge of London, which has millions of people busy moving about, though probably only averaging about 10mph when they do so by road. Trains and the Tube are faster. But each time I finish a canal trip I really notice the contrast in speed. One day in October at the end of ten days of pottering about on the Thames, speed limit 8kph, I was helping to unload some bags of coal in a quiet spot on the river at Caversham, then within 30 minutes of completing that I was on a train from Reading to Paddington doing over 100mph. It did feel a bit weird.

Peter I am not surprised.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Omigod air cooled Lister? And you’re telling ME to tone it down??? I’ll have to initiate you into the delights of a proper engine like a Kelvin or a Samofa ;) 

Your the noisy git butted up to my rear fender last week then. Pfffft.

Cough cough cough !!@!

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Driving my van feels lunatically fast even at 25mph. after a fortnight on the bote. 

OMG yer I get in me dad's car and I feel like am in a Bugati Veyron... lol

5 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

MtB 's Engines are Really Quiet.

No I've seen the noisy bugger on YouTube.

Bloody disgusting Mike.....

(no need for that)

Edited by brassedoff

Returning after a couple of weeks on board, I was in a petrol station filling up the car. Instinctively started chatting to the guy filling up next to me. "Lock-side chat". Then realised from the look on his face, I was back in the parallel universe.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If carlsberg did heaven, then this would be it.

We laugh, oh how we laugh, when returning to reality that people no longer make eye contact and say 'hi' or similarly meaning words. Brother came to visit and we had the pleasure of a car trip into Bath. Had been there by boat a couple of months ago. Could we find a car space? Yes. But after a lot of tootling about. Me and Mrs Nightwatch were walking down the shopping bits just counting out loud when people didn't return the polite, but weird cheerful hello,hi, ow yer doin'. Brother twigged onto this after an hour or so. 

Saw a fella on a high rope earning a living playing a violin and doing the hula hoop. Bet he was a boater.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 2

Living on the cut is a parallel universe. I remember talking to Arthur Bray one day and then thinking he’s lived through 2 world wars the switch from horses to engines talking pictures etc but his world never really changed apart from watching the wrasling on the Telly sat afternoons. 

Not quite the same now as we have the inter web and forums like this to play with and think we know everything.

after days on the cut traffic is defiantly a bit scary but when I was 17 went to sea with Shell Tankers and after 14 months paid off in South Shields, now that was scary.