Threaded brass eye?

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

I’m trying to find a threaded brass eye/ring to which I can attach the end of a chimney chain. Despite numerous t’interweb searches I can’t find anything suitable. All the ones I’ve found are less decorative and more bulky industrial looking than the type I’ve seen on many historic boats. Any suggestions or anyone prepared to sell me one?

I have several of these, and I am sure you will not be surprised to learn that they are horse related (many items on a working boat came from redundant horse tackle). What you need to look for is a 'wire terret' (such as the one below), or if you prefer to be a bit more flash a 'wire ball terret':

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Swage-Terret-Brass-Harness-Fitting-Individual/152731828879?hash=item238f86c28f:g:Ky8AAOSwgiRZ11a0

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by pete harrison

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

I have several of these, and I am sure you will not be surprised to learn that they are horse related (many items on a working boat came from redundant horse tackle). What you need to look for is a 'wire terret' (such as the one below), or if you prefer to be a bit more flash a 'wire ball terret':

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Swage-Terret-Brass-Harness-Fitting-Individual/152731828879?hash=item238f86c28f:g:Ky8AAOSwgiRZ11a0

s-l1600.jpg

The hardest part of finding a suitable one for me has been acqiring one with a long enough thread to go through the back cabin roof and leave enough thread to tighten it down, the lining being 27mm thick and the ply covering at 12mm. 

36 minutes ago, BWM said:

The hardest part of finding a suitable one for me has been acqiring one with a long enough thread to go through the back cabin roof and leave enough thread to tighten it down, the lining being 27mm thick and the ply covering at 12mm. 

If you’ve a steel top drill and tap it to the Thead on the Terret. Then screw it in with a drop of thread lock on the thread and some PU sealant under the rim.

Done this on Millbury and several friends boats with great success.

6 hours ago, Mick Poyser said:

If you’ve a steel top drill and tap it to the Thead on the Terret. Then screw it in with a drop of thread lock on the thread and some PU sealant under the rim.

Done this on Millbury and several friends boats with great success.

Wood, covered in more wood!

IMG_20180211_205129.jpg