should I start with a shorter narrowboat ?

PMcC

Featured Posts

My comment about being loaded was that photography using film today must be very very expensive with film, paper and chemicals etc etc ........much more so than years ago cause you can't just go to Boots and get a roll for your Brownie 127. Digital and Photoshop has changed the world. In 4 years of 'bird' shooting, I took  circa 120,000 shots. Dread to think what that would have cost with film.

49 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

My comment about being loaded was that photography using film today must be very very expensive with film, paper and chemicals etc etc ........much more so than years ago cause you can't just go to Boots and get a roll for your Brownie 127. Digital and Photoshop has changed the world. In 4 years of 'bird' shooting, I took  circa 120,000 shots. Dread to think what that would have cost with film.

As an ex pro who used verylarge format 10"x8" that in 2000 cost around £20 a sheet processed, I learnt that 1 great shot is better than 1000 mediocre ones :)))

19 minutes ago, PMcC said:

As an ex pro who used verylarge format 10"x8" that in 2000 cost around £20 a sheet processed, I learnt that 1 great shot is better than 1000 mediocre ones :)))

Absolutely, and the advantage of digital is you have instant review so can get instant feedback to achieve that great shot. I reckon I have circa 100 out of 120,000 in 4 years. The learning curve is easy to get up on digitial. Hats off to you all who only had film.

24 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Absolutely, and the advantage of digital is you have instant review so can get instant feedback to achieve that great shot. I reckon I have circa 100 out of 120,000 in 4 years. The learning curve is easy to get up on digitial. Hats off to you all who only had film.

I use both but even I tend to concentrate more with film, not because of the cost but the fact I can't see an instant result. To be honest I was a much better photographer before digital, making sure that the light was right and waiting sometimes hours for the sun to be at the right angle. many shots make light work but you can be 50% certain the best one was when the motor was in the 20th during rewind.

I once shot an eagle eating over water the video I shot at the same time showed that it's claws were ready to pick up a fish for only 125th of a second, so good technique practice and anticipation is the only sure way of getting those shots.

No motor wind could guarentee . Yes digital is great , easy ? the problems of getting the great shots are still the same believe me :)

If you fancy a look at what I do just google Phillip McCordall I've a big youtube channel , that may interest you.

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

On a boat I suppose the chemicals might slosh out of the trays if another boat goes by too fast; you'd need a peaceful mooring, maybe tucked away in a quiet corner of a marina. Or maybe seek out a little used canal and use the darkroom in the middle of the night.

I've not experienced any sloshing or spillage caused by other boats moving, including travelling on the Leeds Liverpoool, where a majority of boats continue to travel past moored boats at a decent speed. 

It was a small worry to begin with but trays only a quarter full, if that, are unlikely to spill with the motion of other moving boats. 

12 minutes ago, PMcC said:

I use both but even I tend to concentrate more with film, not because of the cost but the fact I can't see an instant result. To be honest I was a much better photographer before digital, making sure that the light was right and waiting sometimes hours for the sun to be at the right angle. many shots make light work but you can be 50% certain the best one was when the motor was in the 20th during rewind.

I once shot an eagle eating over water the video I shot at the same time showed that it's claws were ready to pick up a fish for only 125th of a second, so good technique practice and anticipation is the only sure way of getting those shots.

No motor wind could guarentee . Yes digital is great , easy ? the problems of getting the great shots are still the same believe me :)

If you fancy a look at what I do just google Phillip McCordall I've a big youtube channel , that may interest you.

I'll take a look.