Bringing a boat from Holland!

Featured Posts

Hi! I've decided to buy a bostwith my brother. As you can imagine, there's hundreds ofqueetions in my head! But a few sre deiving me crazy! I've been researching a lot recently and I heard its a lot cheaper to bring a boat from Holland, but I'm still struggling to know the following things.

- what kind of paperworks do I need to do before bringing the boat? (Maybe during or after if possible too?)

- what are the recommendable sizes for mooring in the center? What is better (prices for canals? Rivers? Why?)

-Is it worthy bringing it?

-what's the price to get it delivered from amsterdam to london?

Thank you so much!!

You may benefit by joining The Barge Association

You'll have to join up (£35 I think) but if you search their knowledge base and forums your answers will be there.

One thing you will need before you bring a boat over is a (residential) mooring.  (is it a barge? Narrowboat? Cruiser?)

This might help too: Buying a barge?

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I suggest you make contact with Ray Bo..... - there isn't anything he doesn't know about the process - ray.........@gmail.com; 07.... ....22

I hope Ray is happy to have all his personal details published on a open forum!

• Unimpressed 1

17 minutes ago, NickF said:

I hope Ray is happy to have all his personal details published on a open forum!

Ray Bowern appears to operate a commercial service so he's probably okay with it. Good call to draw it to our attention though - if these had been personal details we'd have hidden them

https://bargemovers.com/

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Ray Bowern appears to operate a commercial service so he's probably okay with it. Good call to draw it to our attention though - if these had been personal details we'd have hidden them

https://bargemovers.com/

Really........................ I wouldn't have posted if it wasn't appropriate - Ray (ex Streethay Wharf owner) has been in business moving boats across the channel and elsewhere for at least 30 years 

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Really........................ I wouldn't have posted if it wasn't appropriate - Ray (ex Streethay Wharf owner) has been in business moving boats across the channel and elsewhere for at least 30 years 

I know that, you know that, I'm just saying that I'd rather someone raised the question (which NickF did) and us mods say "nah that's fine" than the opposite. 

What boat? and what do you want it for? narrow beam for Brit narrow canals? very, very few. Wider for Thames etc? There are good boats at good prices, there are also hopeless boats that will break your heart. Steel rusts just as much in Holland as it does here. Paperwork? little or none till we leave the EU then who knows. Moorings in London? assume zero and then start looking. No boat that you buy abroad will have a BSC and many will need a lot of work to get one. Would I do it? Yes but I would take a deep breath first. Botentekoop and Marktplaats are interesting window shopping.

If you are talking about a steel cruiser then check the draft as some are over a meter. No problems with paperwork use a notary to buy then have it removed from the Nederland kadaster and put it in on the SSR. Boat it to neiuport or Calais then on a good day across the Chanel. You can find pilots for the channel crossing who will bring the necessary radios and other kit.

if it’s a barge same applies but use a surveyor who specializes in barges as lots of pitfalls, if it’s over 20m make sure it has a TRWV certificate. Others have mentioned mooring in uk and this is a major consideration.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

As long as it isn't stuck in a field and you have to get it over a wall with a JCB, you shouldn't have any problems with your bost.

Er yes. Not another one of those. Would a dutch/Italian say 'paperworks' when the rest of the english is pretty much perfect.:)

To the OP. If you are bringing a boat into the UK, make sure it has a working Smartgauge.:giggles:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Er yes. Not another one of those. Would a dutch/Italian say 'paperworks' when the rest of the english is pretty much perfect.:)

To the OP. If you are bringing a boat into the UK, make sure it has a working Smartgauge.:giggles:

..and doesnt need calibrating.

9 hours ago, Halsey said:

Sorry Halsey, no offence intended, they do look very like personal not business details and unfortunately these days if your phone number is on the net that means a lot of cold calling.

NickF

Here are the crucial stats for bringing a barge onto the Thames -- Bridge heights, lock sizes and maximum drafts for different sections of the river:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-thames-bridges-locks-and-facilities-for-boaters

For example, depending on how far up the Thames you'd like to take your 'new' boat, maximum drafts are:

• Lechlade to Oxford - 0.9m or 3’0”
  • Oxford to Reading - 1.2m or 4’0”
  • Reading to Windsor - 1.3m or 4’6”
  • Windsor to Staines - 1.7m or 5’6”
  • Staines to Teddington - 2.0m or 6’6

As for air draft, the 'low point' on the Thames is Osney Bridge at Oxford. The span is wide and fairly level, but only has 2.28m clearance. Godstow Bridge, just a bit further upstream has 2.56m clearance, but is a has a much tighter semi-circular arch and must be approached on an angle. 

Do the savings in buying a boat on the Continent outweigh the time, effort and commuting/accommodation costs required for finding, securing, surveying and then moving the boat to the UK?